Which long arm upgrade??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Which long arm upgrade???

So, what are all of the cool kids running today? It used to be Evo and Synergy, has that changed?

The tenth year of my jeep will be a huge one, lots of projects, the one pertinent here is a 10" stretch to a 106" wheel base. With this frame stretch it does not have to affect the suspension, but it can if there are positives to be had.

I have seen no reason to go long arm with my 2dr JK, going to a JKL I do see the advantages, so which one??? I'd like full weld on brackets and pre-made arms for convenience but can make the arms if need be but I see no reason to fab my own brackets when they are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by toymaster; 11-30-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

This...

https://genright.com/products/jeep-j...kid-plate.html

Then get some 2" 7075 control arms made and choose the joints you like
post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

whichever hand-me-down LA's show up in the for sale section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Wheeler

How much bank do you want to spend? At the end of the day I should have just called up rock krawler for a kit. I spent way to much time fabbing my own shit just to save some money.

Also, there was a jku with metalcloak game changer at a jeep event I saw. It flex really well and he said the complete kit was like 4 grand plus 1kish for driveshafts.

Sorry for the ramble but my vote is RK or metalcloak.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus-jeep View Post
This...

https://genright.com/products/jeep-j...kid-plate.html

Then get some 2" 7075 control arms made and choose the joints you like
DUDE! that is awesome, I forgot that was on the market. I was contemplating going with a larger fuel tank anyway. This option just could be on the table. It may not work with my build though, I have a rear winch that I don't want to lose, the tank behind the rear axles comes with its own set of challenges. It may be overkill for my usage, if I can figure out the tank situation using their cross-members in my setup is maybe viable option. I dismissed the triangulated 4 link and 3 link as not-worth-it some years ago but I may rethink that.

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

Last edited by toymaster; 11-28-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru

Another option that could work well, would be the Artec front 3 link kit, and then combine it with the Motobilt back half kit, as they're apparently releasing a crossmember to mount links as well.

https://www.motobilt.com/product/jee...18_wrangler_jk
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverLift View Post
How much bank do you want to spend? At the end of the day I should have just called up rock krawler for a kit. I spent way to much time fabbing my own shit just to save some money.....
I hear 'ya, I'm trying to tame the insanity with pre-engineered parts that increase the probability of a positive outcome. I don't really have a budget and my time is worth paying someone to fab up the parts, installing is the fun part and what I like to do anyway. At this point the jeep is just a toy and a trailer queen, in my twisted thoughts my plans will make it more highway worthy i.e. more power, more transmission gears, and longer wheel base. I'll have the body off the frame for my plans already, the last part that is not figured out is the suspension, and having the frame cut-up as well makes it seem like the time to finish the entire build and put it back together with the wanted coatings. Is 10 years to young to be considered a restomod?

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

post #8 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

You can buy any bracket you might need and arms are simple to make. Fuel tank is the biggest deal, do you want to keep it or run a fuel cell. If fuel cell do a double triangulated and call it a day. Almost every long arm kit available sucks because it does not care about geometry and puts frame brackets where they fit not where they should be. The also do nothing to address axle brackets unless its a bbridge to mount an upper link.

Of course other things come into play, conventional coils or coil overs, what axles and widths, tire size, shock travel, keep the back seat, usable space. Crawl, go fast, highway, all of the above?

When I see these threads I tell the OP to build or buy a buggy. Power and not near the limitions of the stock jeep. you dont have to worry about roll overs and body damager either. You will spend enough on modifiyng a jeep that you could buy a nice buggy and still have a nice jeep to run around everyday in for the mild and moderate trails.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
....When I see these threads I tell the OP to build or buy a buggy. Power and not near the limitions of the stock jeep. you dont have to worry about roll overs and body damager either. You will spend enough on modifiyng a jeep that you could buy a nice buggy and still have a nice jeep to run around everyday in for the mild and moderate trails.
Don't worry dude, I have my big-boy pants on. A buggy or any hard-core type rock crawler is not what I am after. I built a very capable overlander, anything I plan on doing will just make it more so. There are many threads on this board concerning the topic, of the subjective matter, of which is "better" and I've added my two cents into most of them over the years. Now, I trailer to the trail area because I like my 176" wheelbase and platinum trim better for highway travel. The last time I actually drove my jeep somewhere on the highway was 2012. I have given thought of just selling what I have and start with something else, but the matter-of-fact is they don't make what I want, I got what I got, and I like it; I just want more. Which is more power, better MPG, and FF goodness, all of which I have in other vehicles I own, I just want them in my rolling brick as well. I think my decisions may be driven by growing up poor and lack of breast feeding but I guess that is a topic for the JKO of old.

I bought a jeep to have a jeep, with all of its heritage. Although, the thought has crossed my mind, instead of selling the power train and running gear that will be removed from my JK, to build a buggy with them instead.

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

post #10 of 11 Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I hear 'ya, I'm trying to tame the insanity with pre-engineered parts that increase the probability of a positive outcome. I don't really have a budget and my time is worth paying someone to fab up the parts, installing is the fun part and what I like to do anyway. At this point the jeep is just a toy and a trailer queen, in my twisted thoughts my plans will make it more highway worthy i.e. more power, more transmission gears, and longer wheel base. I'll have the body off the frame for my plans already, the last part that is not figured out is the suspension, and having the frame cut-up as well makes it seem like the time to finish the entire build and put it back together with the wanted coatings. Is 10 years to young to be considered a restomod?
If you already have the body off, and want some pre-engineered goodness, then I think Genright would have to be the way to go.
Having awesome geometry and a flat belly is killer
post #11 of 11 Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

^^^^ Yep, been looking at them hard for the last two days. As of right now, I'm leaning toward using their transmission cross member and 3 link the front. The rear is going to wait till I figure out what I can do about the fuel tank. Right now I'm vetting a wild-ass idea to have two custom tanks built, one behind the rearend that will still allow my winch to stay put and a smaller one about where the factory tank is located that does not interfere with the 4 link. All the factory fuel lines and pump could stay in place and just have leveling line between the two tank. A plan "B" could be to allow the one tank to intrude into the cargo area for additional tank height.

I want the flat belly but I want at least 20 gallons and my winch more. We'll see how much of 10 gallons of crap I can fit in the 5 gallon bucket as it were.

Quote:
JK 2dr rubi

Last edited by toymaster; 11-29-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode