• 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By SLOWPOKE693
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK aftermarket housing caster specs?

Whats up guys,

I am going to be lifting my wife's 16 JKUR 4.5" using Synergy long arms and MC springs. While I'm in there I planned to replace all the axle brackets with new heavy duty pieces from Artec, trusses and C gussets included. Figured while I have the front axle out I may as well cut and turn the inner C's to correct the caster for this size lift, but......

All the aftermarket housings I see advertised as "caster corrected" for 4 + inch lifts dont give any spec as to how much its corrected, and my Google & search skills apparently suck because I cant find it anywhere. I really dont want to install the lift to figure out where I need to be pinion angle & caster wise and then pull the axle for the truss & bracket install after the fact.

Does anybody have a link to this info or a housing they can measure for me? I cant be the first person to want to do this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Whats up guys,

I am going to be lifting my wife's 16 JKUR 4.5" using Synergy long arms and MC springs. While I'm in there I planned to replace all the axle brackets with new heavy duty pieces from Artec, trusses and C gussets included. Figured while I have the front axle out I may as well cut and turn the inner C's to correct the caster for this size lift, but......

All the aftermarket housings I see advertised as "caster corrected" for 4 + inch lifts dont give any spec as to how much its corrected, and my Google & search skills apparently suck because I cant find it anywhere. I really dont want to install the lift to figure out where I need to be pinion angle & caster wise and then pull the axle for the truss & bracket install after the fact.

Does anybody have a link to this info or a housing they can measure for me? I cant be the first person to want to do this.

Thanks!
My question is what size tires are you going to run? 4.5" lift will fit 43" tires. The secret to safely lifting a JK unless your going to full width axles is low center of gravity. I am on 3.5" and I am running 37s. It is tall. The taller you get, the less stable you become both on and off the road.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjoh1972 View Post
My question is what size tires are you going to run? 4.5" lift will fit 43" tires. The secret to safely lifting a JK unless your going to full width axles is low center of gravity. I am on 3.5" and I am running 37s. It is tall. The taller you get, the less stable you become both on and off the road.

Got any info I can actually use or are you the fucking safety police?

Your post was a waste of both of our time.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

Wow, you really pushed back on that one... Hahaha, let me waste some more of your time, and I will put my captain obvious cape on. Call the axle manufacturer that your interested in... Hahaha. It is a comment, not a cock, doesn't take it so hard... bawahaha.

Stock caster is 4.5, most after lifting run around 6.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Rock God

Most aftermarket housings are 10 degrees of separation. I did a cut and rotate on my stock Rubicon housing to about 14 degrees and run about 10-11 degrees of caster. I wish I had done 17 degrees so I could keep that caster and point the drive shaft up more.

I run what I believe is around 4" of lift and have hydro assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjoh1972 View Post
My question is what size tires are you going to run? 4.5" lift will fit 43" tires.
This makes a whole lot of assumptions. I run about 4" of lift with 35" tires and they just clear at articulation including up-travel trimming in the rear wheel well and of course cut fenders. This is because I run 6.5" of up-travel and I wouldn't have it any other way. So sure you can run 43" tires if you enjoy having about 2 inches of up-travel and riding on bump-stops.

Last edited by christensent; 11-23-2018 at 05:09 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 05:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

Let me google that for you... https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

post #7 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

I would shoot for 6 degrees +. Start by pointing your pinion at your transfer case output and adjust from there.
stevenjoh1972 likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Granite Guru

On Dynatracs website, look at the FAQ page for the PR44. I recall there being a diagram of the caster corrected offset vs stock. Might be something you can use at least.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Stock is 6 degree separation, With 3.5" + lift you ideally want 7 degrees caster so that puts the pinion at -1.

"Corrected" axles run 10 degrees separation so at 7* you'll be +3 at the pinion, Usually results in a bit less vibrations, Esp at highway speeds with gear ratios JKs need.

Damn Christensend, 11 degrees caster? You need the hydro to turn that.... But I bet it's stable as hell on the road

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #10 of 11 Old 11-24-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the info guys, Much appreciated!

I've got 90% of the parts to start the 2nd phase of the build on the wifes daily driver JKUR. I'll post a build thread in a week or so once I start getting into it.

Oh and Stevenjon1972 just an fyi....... Wifes daily driven Jeep already has a 2.5" Terraflex spacer lift, Fox shocks, Genright tube fenders, 3.5" backspace Method beadlocks and 37" Cooper STT Pros. It's been that way for the last 20k miles. Only reason for more lift is so I don't RIP the entire bottom off it every time we go wheeling. Low COG is awesome to an extent, but dragging the bottom off 80% of the rocks and ledges at the parks we go to is getting really fucking old.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2018, 12:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I set my axle to run with 12* caster, but that was for better street manners with full hydro.

I asked the caster question on Pirate a year or so ago and found the responses interesting.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ch-castor.html

The only way to get it set up exactly the way you want, is to roll the housing under the Jeep at ride height, point the pinion at the t-case and tack your C's at the caster you want. A little more work, but you'll never say "I wish....."

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode