I just sprung for the XDII...
Looking forward to getting this bad boy installed before some snow wheelin'
Hope your install goes nice & smooth man
Thanks... the install went pretty smooth. Took me about 11 hours total. Are you doing the pump, reservoir, and cooler as well? A couple notes...
- The most time consuming part for me I think was routing/plumbing all the new lines. Didn't want to destroy the stock lines just in case, so ended up dropping the sway bar in order to be able to fish the lines out. I also hadn't put much thought into how I was going to mount the inline cooler, so that slowed me down while I figured something out. I ended up only using two of the bolt hole locations and just mounted it to the underside of the radiator fan shroud. I don't like it all that much and think I'm going to try and find a better spot near the same location. Hopefully I left myself enough line to move it. It was little things like that that I wasn't expecting and added to my timeline. If I had planned it out a little better I could have probably finished in a day.
- The stock location where they have you install the reservoir is VERY tight with the stock airbox. I did as best as I could and the stock airbox is still rubbing up against the lines and the reservoir. I actually went ahead and ordered the RIPP intake kit in order to create more space in that area.
- The Pitman arm nut was 46mm, or at least that's what size socket I was told to get by PSC and it worked. Ordered it on Amazon a few days in advance. Also scored a giant ass Tekton 3/4" drive torque wrench that goes to 300 ft/lbs on Amazon for $50. I was able to torque that nut to 225 pretty easy. Should also come in handy on those jam nuts all over my suspension and steering that occasionally like to come loose.
- The steering gear is pretty freaking heavy! I wasn't able to get it up into place by myself. Was already 6+ hours into the install and was getting tired. Failed to eat my Wheaties that morning. I shoulder pressed it up into place myself, but then needed a third hand to get one of the bolts started for me. No issues once that first bolt was started.
- Getting to the lines was pretty tight. I ended up using a crowsfoot wrench to break things loose. I read a trick after the fact where you can remove all but one of the two front bolts and let the box rotate down in order to access the lines from the wheel well. You might have to remove the spring for that though... not sure.
- PSC provided no kind of instructions. They sucked in that regard. They had some outdated stuff you can download online that you can pull a thing from here and there, but nothing specific to this install in a JK with 3.6L that I could find. I figured it out by researching a bunch of threads and watching some videos I found online. Used stock torque specs for pretty much everything except the Pitman arm nut, which I think I heard in a video to torque to 225 ft/lbs.
- I can hear the pump at idle and low RPM. Makes a slight whirring sound. Goes away at RPM, or the engine noise is just drowning it out. It's not a super loud noise, but I can hear it over my radio sometimes. Maybe I just need to turn the volume up. Anyways, doesn't appear to be affecting performance... yet.
- Careful not to overfill the reservoir. I filled it to 1" below the top like PSC recommended, but I ended up blowing a shit ton of fluid out all over the place while bleeding the system. Which reminds me, create yourself some sort of catch can for that overflow tube if you want to avoid a mess.
In the end I'm super happy with the install. Steering is great. Nice and light and very responsive. I actually can't believe I was driving the Jeep around for as long as I did with the stock pump going out like it was. The Jeep steers nicer than my wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee that's barely a couple months old.
Let me know if you run into any issues.