Current weld in cage options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Current weld in cage options

Hello and thanks for looking up my post. Have searched for some of my answers, but not finding it, and most importantly, most of the previously offered weld in cage kits are no longer available.

I debated long and hard between a sport with rear C support or a full cage, but I've come to the position that it's a full cage I want. I do a lot of trails where flops for the most part are highly possible, and have seen at least one on each weekend I had this year, and one roll. It's a matter of time for me, and those that have full weld in cages, for the most part are getting winched over, checking fluids, shooting black smoke, but carrying on for the day. I want to prepare to be like that.

Issue is the only manufactured full weld in kit I can seem to find is the Genright one.

My questions are:

1. Are there others I'm missing out there (I'm sure I must be).

2. Are they all bolted to the tub like the Genright one appears to be. Shouldn't this be brought to the frame ideally?

3. Has anyone had or seen a flop/roll onto the lip with the Genright - how did it hold up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Synergy Mfg. also produces a frame tie-in cage . Yes it's proper to have a cage tied to frame.
Genright , Synergy , any cage properly installed will be better than the OEM.

If you truly want this done correctly, you'll find a trustworthy/reputable off-road fabrication shop or person that can burn the cage in to your rig properly.

Not having a clue whom you are nor where you're from ( we have a Welcome Room you maybe could spend a moment to introduce yourself..) , I can recommend Allsouth Motorsports in Georgia or Wide Open Design in Tennessee for getting you set with a cage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Synergy discontinued theirs.

I'm in Ontario. Limited for shops that do this. I know of a racing shop near me that does cages, but curious as to what else it out there, if I'm missing anything, and if anyone has any real world experience with the Genright in flops/rolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Liability insurance and the fact comanies sell few cages every year is the reason you are not finding any but the Genright cage.

Cages can be attached to the body or to the frame but should not be both unless you use bushings at the frame end. Protecting the occupants is the goal not protecting the jeep.

I have not seen a genright equiped jeep roll so no help there.

Your best bet is finding a custom shop that does cages and expect it to cost a bunch as it so labor intensive. Steel has gotton a lot more expensive as well. $4-6k would be what I would expect it to cost today.

Even with a cage if you flop or roll you should expect several thousand dollars of damage to occur. Windshield will be gone and they go for $1500, fenders will go as well as lots of sheet metal damage.

Seats and harnesses should be considered as well if you are doing trails that can result in a roll over to keep you planeted in the seat. You dont want to be flopping around in a jeep with an aftermarket cage as a severe head injury would be likely. Maybe even start wearing a helmet. IF you wheel without doors, nets or arm restraints would be a good thing to look into.

Good luck for your search, I am sure my post is not what you wanted to hear.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^^^This is sound advice^^^^^

Kevin
post #6 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Synergy Mfg. also produces a frame tie-in cage . Yes it's proper to have a cage tied to frame.
Genright , Synergy , any cage properly installed will be better than the OEM.

If you truly want this done correctly, you'll find a trustworthy/reputable off-road fabrication shop or person that can burn the cage in to your rig properly.

Not having a clue whom you are nor where you're from ( we have a Welcome Room you maybe could spend a moment to introduce yourself..) , I can recommend Allsouth Motorsports in Georgia or Wide Open Design in Tennessee for getting you set with a cage.

In calling around Northern CA, it seems like next to having one built the only pre-cut cage anyone will use is the Genright, My guess is that's the only one left being made.

My question is, aside from tall people being squeezed, is there any negative to having the A Pillar vertical support (not sure what they call that part) moved from "through the dash" to in front of the dash?

Reason why I ask is, it seems like to get a cage with frame tie-ins and added support to attach seating to the cage runs about 5k,. To go through the dash it goes to 6k+. I understand there are expenses beyond just the cage.
post #7 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
In calling around Northern CA, it seems like next to having one built the only pre-cut cage anyone will use is the Genright, My guess is that's the only one left being made.

My question is, aside from tall people being squeezed, is there any negative to having the A Pillar vertical support (not sure what they call that part) moved from "through the dash" to in front of the dash?

Reason why I ask is, it seems like to get a cage with frame tie-ins and added support to attach seating to the cage runs about 5k,. To go through the dash it goes to 6k+. I understand there are expenses beyond just the cage.

To answer your question.........no. It's not going to make any real difference. The most important part is to not have any bends in the tube as it runs from the dash down to the floor.

Kevin
post #8 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
TJT
Rock God

I agree with the cage being there to save the occupants, not the jeep itself. From what you're getting in to, I think you're on the right track with the above cages mentioned. They are all great options, but I wouldn't get hung up on wondering whether you have to tie the cage to the frame. I just put my cage in back in April and I love it. I waited quite a while for a product that fit my wants and the GenRight cage ended up being the one for me. I had a great experience from purchase to instal and I would highly suggest it. Genright quoted me $2500 to weld the cage up in their Jig and send it, but also a 8-10 week delivery time becuase they were so backed up. Local shops are charging around $3000 to do it all. Since I had the time, I chose to go buy a Miller 211 and some friends and I did it ourselves in about 4 afternoons. It's pretty straight forward and we had no issues figuring it all out. I did not tie the frame to the body and it seems to do just fine.

GenRight has a few pics of rolled JKs with their cages on their Facebook and Instagram pages. Theres also a few flops I've come across on random YouTube videos from Moab, though I don't know how I would find those again.

Either way it goes, once you dig into the process and start taking your factory cage off, you'll see its a false measure of security.

Last edited by TJT; 11-13-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #9 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

that looks great.

I honestly did not know that a cage like the Genright could be installed without it running-down into points on the frame. Learn something in here still!

I have seen the fallacy that is the stock 'sports bar' ...it's scary.

post #10 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Its a good cage altough some dont like the bar behind the seats as it really feels constrained in the back seat.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXshun View Post
Synergy discontinued theirs.

I'm in Ontario. Limited for shops that do this. I know of a racing shop near me that does cages, but curious as to what else it out there, if I'm missing anything, and if anyone has any real world experience with the Genright in flops/rolls.
Give Steve over at D3 a shout. He only had some supports for the factory cage on his Jeep, and After watching him roll his JK a couple years ago in bracebridge I was surprised how well it stood up. He can build you anything from a sport addition, to a full blown cage tied to the frame that is fully compatible with hard and soft tops. Both factory and aftermarket.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #12 of 53 Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
that looks great.

I honestly did not know that a cage like the Genright could be installed without it running-down into points on the frame. Learn something in here still!

I have seen the fallacy that is the stock 'sports bar' ...it's scary.

Look at the feet on the bottom of the down tubes.

I'll say this though, those feet aren't very big. I'd still rather tie that cage to the frame.

Kevin
post #13 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Look at the feet on the bottom of the down tubes.

I'll say this though, those feet aren't very big. I'd still rather tie that cage to the frame.

yep; I've seen those feet-plates before. I just thought they laid against the top sheet metal &beneath you had the mate to it that traverses down to some bushing against frame.
(seen so many pix & other guys rigs of this , that that's how my brain had it worked-out: )

I honestly didn't know. It's probably less time consuming to have it mounted against body= less $ which is good.

Edit: how much weight does that cage add to an unlimited JK , approximately?

post #14 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

We have done the GR cage here in the shop in a 4Dr. As you can see the feet at the b-pillar lay on the floor. You drill a few holes and attache another plate to the bottom, sandwiching the floor between the two. The front tie into the dash support. The C ties into another bracket that goes inside the body panel and the rear ties in to the tube behind where the tail light mounts. It is a solid setup. As for backseat room, this one had the X bar in it. We also fabed up some brackets for rear Corbeau seats. We were able to get in and out of the rear okay but it was a tight fit.

As for weight, I could get a shipping weight but it was a few hundred pounds. Once welded, it took 4 of us to move it around.

Hope that helps...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #15 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
We have done the GR cage here in the shop in a 4Dr. As you can see the feet at the b-pillar lay on the floor. You drill a few holes and attache another plate to the bottom, sandwiching the floor between the two. The front tie into the dash support. The C ties into another bracket that goes inside the body panel and the rear ties in to the tube behind where the tail light mounts. It is a solid setup. As for backseat room, this one had the X bar in it. We also fabed up some brackets for rear Corbeau seats. We were able to get in and out of the rear okay but it was a tight fit.

As for weight, I could get a shipping weight but it was a few hundred pounds. Once welded, it took 4 of us to move it around.

Hope that helps...

-Jason

Awesome info , yep. Thanks, Jason!

KrawlOff-Road.com likes this.

post #16 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Brave Motorsports might be able to help you out with a pre-bent weld in cage that ties to the frame.

https://www.bravemotorsports.com/

713-896-8559

Ask for Dave

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #17 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Rock God

We love the Synergy MFG cage
post #18 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdifferentials View Post
We love the Synergy MFG cage
That seems to be the consensus about that cage. I think at some point, someone from Synergy mentioned they stopped offering them due to liability reasons. Not sure though. I'd sign a release of liability for one : )
post #19 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I gotta admit that , few & far between are any of the rear bumpers available that I like or would consider ( i have never run a rear bumper on my JKU ) but I think I have just seen the best rear soltion I have come across since the Motobilt frame chop rear end in that Bravemotorsports rear bumper that is pictured, @terrahawk

that is superb looking!!

post #20 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I gotta admit that , few & far between are any of the rear bumpers available that I like or would consider ( i have never run a rear bumper on my JKU ) but I think I have just seen the best rear soltion I have come across since the Motobilt frame chop rear end in that Bravemotorsports rear bumper that is pictured, @terrahawk

that is superb looking!!

Another nice touch that Brave puts in that bumper, couple actually.

1. It fully encapsulates the frame rails

2. Dave found that when you do frame chops for high clearance bumpers that the body mounts tend to bend / sag over time, so he added tie-ins to the bumper to prevent it.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #21 of 53 Old 11-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Another nice touch that Brave puts in that bumper, couple actually.

1. It fully encapsulates the frame rails

2. Dave found that when you do frame chops for high clearance bumpers that the body mounts tend to bend / sag over time, so he added tie-ins to the bumper to prevent it.

#1 I saw the encapsulation on their site = awesome.

#2 I have seen personally & is why my own frame hasn't been cut further back there so that is another bit of awesomeness.

I think I've found meself a bumper. thanks!

apologies for the hj, @MrXshun

post #22 of 53 Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Wheeler

UCF out of Alabama makes on very similar to the GenRight cage. It's pre-welded at 4200, but I'm guessing shipping to you would be a bit much.

Under Cover Fabworks, LLC - UCF JK Unlimited 4-Door Full Roll-Cage
post #23 of 53 Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
That seems to be the consensus about that cage. I think at some point, someone from Synergy mentioned they stopped offering them due to liability reasons. Not sure though. I'd sign a release of liability for one : )
We'd love to keep making the cages, but you hit the nail on the head. It's not just liability on us though, it's having to purchase liability insurance. We were spending more on insurance every year than we were making on cages. It's tough to run a business if you're not making money.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #24 of 53 Old 11-15-2018, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
We'd love to keep making the cages, but you hit the nail on the head. It's not just liability on us though, it's having to purchase liability insurance. We were spending more on insurance every year than we were making on cages. It's tough to run a business if you're not making money.
I would imagine product liability insurance on suspension would be significantly more than on cages...

post #25 of 53 Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I would imagine product liability insurance on suspension would be significantly more than on cages...
Since cages are explicitly safety items, we needed additional insurance on top of what we already have for the rest of our product line.
ALASHA and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode