Rubicon smartbar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rubicon smartbar

Working on a 2010 Rubicon smartbar. Wanting to convert it to manual disconnect and install it on my 2007 Sport JKU.

Got it apart and cleaned out the gunk inside the gear housing and noticed that the gear on the non motor side is loose (can wiggle it back and forth). Does anybody know how much if any play is allowed? I don't think there should be any as any movement will only increase wear but I may be wrong as this may allow for easier alignment of the collar and gears.

Also has anybody replaced the seals that are in the ends of the gear housings that are supposed to seal on the bars themselves? these are shot. I got the non motor end seal out and the gear off of the bar which is loose but I can not find a match for the numbers that are on the seal. Even tried to cross reference but no luck.

Anybody got any ideas?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Rock God

There should be no play between the "gear" and shaft. Both on mine are solid.

Have you seen this thread: E-Disco Conversion To Manual

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No I had not seen that thread, thank you. Looks interesting.

Well crap. From what I am finding, which is nothing. I probably can not get a new gear either.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had trouble with mine reconnecting. It would disconnect fine, but not reconnect. I asked a friend that is a tech at a Chrysler dealer and he said that they just replace the whole thing. No serviceable parts for it. I ended up taking mine off the Jeep and have been running without for a while now.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I had trouble with mine reconnecting. It would disconnect fine, but not reconnect. I asked a friend that is a tech at a Chrysler dealer and he said that they just replace the whole thing. No serviceable parts for it. I ended up taking mine off the Jeep and have been running without for a while now.
Quite a few have posted how they disassembled it and cleaned/re-greased the internals with good results. That's something the dealer would not do.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I cleaned and greased it every time I went wheeling until I took it off as I would have to remove it to get it to re-engage. Finally I said fuck this noise, and left it off.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, live and learn. I am sidelining the smart bar rebuild. Can not find the seals or anything close to use. Plus I can not get the long bar gear off. They are held on by a captured snap ring and you can not get the gear to move far enough to get to it. Even tried a gear puller hoping to pull the gear past the snap ring and just replace the snap ring but no luck. It is a stupid design to not be able to rebuild them at some point.

Oh well, like I said live and learn. Had to give it a shot.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 PM

I have the same problem 3/4" play in the sway bar when locked I found the pressed in sway bar into the gear on the non motor side lose. Driving down the highway it wobbles around I hate it. What did you end up doing I'm thinking of welding mine to the gear if has enough room in there. I hate to put a non electronic disconnect the motor on mine is fine disconnects without a problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have the same problem 3/4" play in the sway bar when locked I found the pressed in sway bar into the gear on the non motor side lose. Driving down the highway it wobbles around I hate it. What did you end up doing I'm thinking of welding mine to the gear if has enough room in there. I hate to put a non electronic disconnect the motor on mine is fine disconnects without a problem.
Mine was a project. I ended up junking it, could not find seals or get the gear off so I just gave up and threw it away. Yes I did look at welding it but never got that far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode