Input on 4.88 or 5.13 gear ratios. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Input on 4.88 or 5.13 gear ratios.

Good evening y'all. I'm asking for very specific information here and soliciting responses for those who have similar builds to my 2 door JK with either 4.88 or 5.13 gear ratios and 37" rubber. Those of you who have a 2012-18 JK preferably 2Dr, w/manual transmission with these gear ratios or set up please chime in. I'm interested in RPM's at highway speeds since my jeep isn't a trailer queen nor is it a DD, but gets driven hours at a time to wheeling spots. Also interested in the off-road experiences with these lower gears sets. I've built my Jeep to be fairly light. Aluminum fenders and skid plates, for example and bought the KM2's although undersized, because of their weight. Now that I'm considering a heavier 37" tire and beadlocks or possibly a larger tire (Patagonia 38" or the new 39" KM3) I want to do a gear swap at the same time. My current build is below, for comparison. Thanks for your responses.

2012 JK 2Dr.
6 spd man. trans
4.1 t/c
4.56 gears
37' KM2
3" RK/Synergy Lift.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

If you google for the JK tire size RPM spreadsheet, you can figure out what you need to know. You live in and around a lot of highways with hills and twisties. I would want taller gears if I lived there, but alas, I'm just valley trash.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
If you google for the JK tire size RPM spreadsheet, you can figure out what you need to know. You live in and around a lot of highways with hills and twisties. I would want taller gears if I lived there, but alas, I'm just valley trash.
Lol, Valley trash. Thats funny. I find myself in the valley quite a bit when I'm driving to Shaver, Rubicon and SoCal so I've got some trash in me too Snout. Either from the valley or living around here. Lots of trash here to go around. Lol. Anyhow, yes quite familiar with the gear ratio chart but I'd hoping for some real world feedback buddy.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie831 View Post
Lol, Valley trash. Thats funny. I find myself in the valley quite a bit when I'm driving to Shaver, Rubicon and SoCal so I've got some trash in me too Snout. Either from the valley or living around here. Lots of trash here to go around. Lol. Anyhow, yes quite familiar with the gear ratio chart but I'd hoping for some real world feedback buddy.
Glad I could make you chuckle. Not totally the same but I'm about to tackle 5.13s on my manual '15 JKUR w/ a $ynergy 3" suspension and 37" KM2s. I pass thru your neck of the woods a lot so I'll try to keep my filthy valley paws off those silky mountain drawers.

EDIT: I don't daily drive my Jeep but I do drive it long distances, i.e. Reno, Phoenix and Vegas a few times a year. Looking forward to being able to get up I-80 and not being stuck in the passing lanes.

Last edited by snout; 11-06-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2018, 07:39 AM
JKowners Vendor

If you are having thoughts of going to 38" or larger tire I would definitely put serious thought into 5.13's. That tall of a tire and that ratio would give you good on and off road capabilities.

Classic City Off Road (CCOR)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shop: 706-559-9609

post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a manual with a supercharged pentastar, 37s and 5.13s. That's the ticket.

Replacing that with 5.38s and 38" tires.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Rock God

I 5,13s and am so happy with it on 37s it fun to drive again .soooooo glad I didn't go 488s .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #8 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Wheeler

Unpopular opinion: 4.56 with 37" tires on beadlocks on my 2 door 6 speed.

Feels like stock. 6th gear is still very usable, and I'm right around 2200-2300 RPM @ 70mph in 6th gear. Rubi t-case still keeps it very wheelable.

Am I an idiot? Yeah, should've gone 4.88 the first time around...buuuttttt sometimes 1st gear is far too short, so it reinforces my bias that 4.56 is fine.

Don't go 5.13's if it's not a trail rig. You'll be sacrificing drivability and have some poor highway performance (unless you drive the speed limit, then you won't have a problem). This is very subjective though. Best thing you can do is hop in some Jeeps (any clubs or buddies around?) and see for yourself. My buddy loved 5.13's. I test drove his Jeep, and hated it (1st and 2nd gear were way too deep to be drivable IMO).

Definitely don't go 4.56. That wasn't my intention with this post.

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah

Last edited by BoraBora; 11-09-2018 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2018, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

5.13's are a sweet spot with 37's. On road is fine. I commute and drive at highway speeds an hour each way in a manual. On the trail i get a good crawl speed in 4WD Lo. Sometimes I wish it was even lower. And then there are spots on the trail where i shift out of low and 1st or 2nd in 4WD Hi is great. Like on the Rubicon heading toward Cadillac. And heading toward lake alpine at slick rock if you know that trail.

4.88 if you have an auto. 5.13 for manual.

When all else fails, refer to well known charts and graphs and crap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode