• 1 Post By rockystock
  • 2 Post By Rodjk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
JSS 5.7 Hemi(Truck) with C&R radiator

Good Morning,

My second Northern Radiator in a year has sprung a leak. It is time for a change. I am looking at using the C&R Radiator, part number 25-12810. This radiator uses 1.75 inlet and outlet. Is anyone else using the same radiator with 5.7L truck hemi swap. If so, what did you use for the radiator hose? as the truck Hemis are 2" outlets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjoh1972 View Post
Good Morning,

My second Northern Radiator in a year has sprung a leak. It is time for a change. I am looking at using the C&R Radiator, part number 25-12810. This radiator uses 1.75 inlet and outlet. Is anyone else using the same radiator with 5.7L truck hemi swap. If so, what did you use for the radiator hose? as the truck Hemis are 2" outlets.
I'm going to just use a 1.75 to 2.00 rubber insert adapter from Summit Racing. Haven't run it yet.

JSS has a modified version made by C&R. Biggest difference is the outlet is 2.00 and is about 4" lower than the regular C&R radiator. If you go with the JSS version, JSS has to order the radiator for you and may take weeks. The regular C&R radiator is likely in stock, you can order yourself, and will probably only take a couple days or so to arrive.

Last edited by rockystock; 10-22-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I'm going to just use a 1.75 to 2.00 rubber insert adapter from Summit Racing. Haven't run it yet.
I know a guy out at C&R he suggested taking a 1.75" hose end and using it for a sleeve, and then slide the 2" hose over top if that helps you. I just figured I would check and see if anyone has found a hose. I know the hose that is on JSS BOM requires quite a bit of cutting to make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Yeah hoses that have 1.75 and 2.00 ends, AND are shaped correctly are probably nonexistent. The lower hose in the JSS BOM (NAPA 7759) will work but my hose comes in at a steeper angle than the C&R outlet sits. Might try a flex hose with 2.00 ends.

By the way, I also tried the upper hose in the JSS BOM (NAPA 7369) but didn't like it because it is a ~90 degree bend. My setup is closer to ~80 degrees; the Dayco 71593 has a nearly ideal bend in it. I think every off-the-shelf hose will need some trimming.

Here's the hose ID reducer I'm using:

Cod likes this.

Last edited by rockystock; 10-22-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yeah hoses that have 1.75 and 2.00 ends, AND are shaped correctly are probably nonexistent. The lower hose in the JSS BOM (NAPA 7759) will work but my hose comes in at a steeper angle than the C&R outlet sits. Might try a flex hose with 2.00 ends.

By the way, I also tried the upper hose in the JSS BOM (NAPA 7369) but didn't like it because it is a ~90 degree bend. My setup is closer to ~80 degrees; the Dayco 71593 has a nearly ideal bend in it. I think every off-the-shelf hose will need some trimming.

Here's the hose ID reducer I'm using:

Here is a few of the challenges, the radiator from C&R that I mentioned is for the car motor, the outlet is 4" lower on the truck motor radiators than on the C&R car motor radiator. The truck motor outlet also comes straight out versus the car motor angles down. I was looking for 2" flex house yesterday. Seems like most of it is 1.5. I am sure it is out there.

Thanks for sharing
post #6 of 15 Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Gates 26504 may work for the lower hose. It has the two end sizes and is about the same length as my trimmed napa hose. I think those flex hoses would constantly stress the radiator outlet. Not sure if it would be a problem over time.

Last edited by rockystock; 10-23-2018 at 08:13 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Ok so I put my off-the-shelf lower hose in again and decided I don't like how it fits (see how it points out to the right of the radiator outlet). I mocked up the required angles with some welding rod and paper template, and found that an HPS silicone reducing 45 degree fitting, a Vibrant 2.00" stainless 120 degree bend, and maybe another piece of 2.00" silicone tubing should provide for a nearly exact fit. If it works Ill post all the part numbers and install pics. This is more expensive than a parts store hose but it should outperform.

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Last edited by rockystock; 11-06-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Ok so I put my off-the-shelf lower hose in again and decided I don't like how it fits (see how it points out to the right of the radiator outlet). I mocked up the required angles with some welding rod and paper template, and found that an HPS silicone reducing 45 degree fitting, a Vibrant 2.00" stainless 120 degree bend, and maybe another piece of 2.00" silicone tubing should provide for a nearly exact fit. If it works Ill post all the part numbers and install pics. This is more expensive than a parts store hose but it should outperform.

Thanks for all the great work! I currently have a mopar 16lb radiator cap on the radiator, and I noticed it does not really open up much to the overflow. As an update, I had the Northern pressure tested, and it seems like the leak was coming from the lower radiator host. There were no tears, or holes in the radiator or the hose, but it seems like the mopar cap is building a lot of pressure. I tried to swap out to a cap that allows you to vent the pressure so I could get the air out after I put the radiator back in. I went to autozone and grabbed a cap for a 2013 Dodge Ram(the year of my motor) last Saturday. The 2013 Dodge Ram cap is only a 14lb cap. Sunday as I was getting ready to take the Jeep on a nice fall ride, it was leaking again. I dropped the Jeep off at Firestone, and me the wife went for the ride while I let them replace the hole for me.

When I put the radiator cap on, and closed the vent, it didnt take long for the cap to open up and allow fluid to dump into my small catch bottle, which then started to leak. Now I am looking for a radiator reservoir, and I haven't made up my mind yet on do i buy the C&R you have or get a custom one made. I know this really cool dude not far from me at a place called The Garage Shop. He builds race cars. I am going to go see him on Tuesday.

Every pocket is already empty.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Sounds like the leak was at the lower radiator hose clamp??

Well if you do decide to get the C&R, this hose setup I'm doing will probably work well. I have the parts trimmed and in place, but I'll need to get another 120 stainless bend - cut it too short on the radiator side oops! The assembled hose is sitting there putting no residual stress on the radiator - as good as it gets. When I get everything cut to final lengths I'll find a local shop to roll a bead on the tubing ends. Here are some shots:

post #10 of 15 Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm also making a coolant reservoir. It's almost done, just have to make some attachment lugs and weld them on, leak test and clean it out. The reservoir will mount in the stock location. Had to make one because I'm going to run the aev snorkel with the stock air box, so no room on the passenger side. This one should hold around 75 oz.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

The leak was at the clamp. The clamp was not loose. It was leaking out the front of the hose, landing on the weld, and then running down the side of the radiator so it looked like the weld gave out again. I wish I could run my stock fan, I have another 1/2" and my SPAL is into the pulley tensioner. You saw my coolant catch can, it might hold 2 quarts. I just dont think it is enough. I love your setup. Hopefully after I meet next week, I will get something thrown together.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-09-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

The leak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Sounds like the leak was at the lower radiator hose clamp??

Well if you do decide to get the C&R, this hose setup I'm doing will probably work well. I have the parts trimmed and in place, but I'll need to get another 120 stainless bend - cut it too short on the radiator side oops! The assembled hose is sitting there putting no residual stress on the radiator - as good as it gets. When I get everything cut to final lengths I'll find a local shop to roll a bead on the tubing ends. Here are some shots:

How are you able to fit your stock fan in there? You may have told me before and I forgot. Did you notch out your core support?

post #14 of 15 Old 11-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjoh1972 View Post
How are you able to fit your stock fan in there? You may have told me before and I forgot. Did you notch out your core support?

Yes notched core support, added spacers, cut off water pump threads for fan mount. Pics in your power steering thread.

I'm using the newer 3.6 (Pentastar) fan. It's a little shallower (and more powerful) than the 3.8 fan.

Hey @Rodjk , have you ever had a problem with your water pump after cutting off the hub?

Last edited by rockystock; 11-09-2018 at 07:27 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yes notched core support, added spacers, cut off water pump threads for fan mount. Pics in your power steering thread.

I'm using the newer 3.6 (Pentastar) fan. It's a little shallower (and more powerful) than the 3.8 fan.

Hey @Rodjk , have you ever had a problem with your water pump after cutting off the hub?
Hey Rocky, I haven't had an ounce of drama from it.
rockystock and stevenjoh1972 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode