New axle shafts with gear change? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By justdifferentials
  • 1 Post By CrazyLarry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

New axle shafts with gear change?

Should I swap out my stock Rubicon axle shafts out when I swap out my gears to 4:88’s? Any suggestions on Axle manufactures?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Just run the stockers until you break them. Or buy a set of chromolies (Ten factory, Carbon Offroad, Revolution) and then keep your stockers as spares.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #3 of 12 Old 10-18-2018, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^what he said

for what it is worth, Revolution Axle & Gear makes great shafts & recently one of my fav companies released their own line of 4340 chromoly shafts, TorqueMasters. Both are small, USA made and owned companies which have very competitive pricing for well made shafts.

Run the OEM until you need to replace and then those can be the spares as @SilverBulletJKU sggts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-18-2018, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

I would install the chromolys shafts and use the stockers as trail spares. You’ll have the shafts out anyway when you reheat. No sense in having expensive chromoly shafts collecting dust in the back of your rig. FYI I’ve been running ten factory’s for 6 years without issue. I bring my stock shafts front and rear with me every trip in case me or someone else needs them.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Hey speaking of axle breaks any you guys see those pics going around about the JL breaking that fancy little free spin device on the front housing
post #6 of 12 Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Hey speaking of axle breaks any you guys see those pics going around about the JL breaking that fancy little free spin device on the front housing
yeah, I saw it @CrazyLarry

between that and the shoddy-welds at the frame I have been seeing it all continues to fall-under that venerable lesson of," Don't Freaking Buy An Introductory Year / New Model Vehicle"

I am old enough to have had my experience with learning-that, even tho' my Dad has always informed me to not do so, I bought one of those mk4 VW Jetta VR6s new back in '99 when they changed from the Mk3s & man did it have a lot of -body, trim, basically all but that sweet engine - issues. I vowed never to buy a new , intro year model vehicle again.

FCA will correct this but I do not know how they can correct the CAD location weakness..I think that was kinda silly to bring-back into the line fuel savings bee damned. I am sure Synergy or some company will make boocoup dollars on a remedy for it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Granite Guru

I saw one in person today at a shop. It was a 4 door rubicon that looked to have been in an accident. I saw the wheel tilted as I was driving by so I pulled over to have a look. Left my phone in the Jeep and was running late for work but long story short not good. The entire cast looked to have cracks in half
post #8 of 12 Old 10-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Rock God

It's not really "necessary" unless you have plenty of miles or are showing signs of wear. However if you're wheeling your Jeep, Chromoly is a great way to go.

We offer Nitro Gear & Axle ASSEMBLED Bolt-In 4340 Chromoly Rear Kit's for your Jeep, as well as front 4340 Chromoly Front's. Awesome stuff. We are a US company as well & provide top notch components

Have a look:

https://www.justdifferentials.com/se...k+axle&Submit=
rockystock likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Rock God

New axle shafts with gear change?

Quote:
I saw one in person today at a shop. It was a 4 door rubicon that looked to have been in an accident. I saw the wheel tilted as I was driving by so I pulled over to have a look. Left my phone in the Jeep and was running late for work but long story short not good. The entire cast looked to have cracks in half

Apparently someone in aftermarket has designed a through and through one piece axle to replace that 2 piece design like they did for the trucks.

Personally I think old school, free wheeling hubs, is still the overall best and strongest design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Rock God

It's really only worth it if you wanted to upgrade to chromoly shafts. especially since it's a Rubi & you have higher than stock spline count

In the case youd like to run 4340 Chromoy, we can assist with your needs. We carry Nitro Gear & Axle, excellent shafts from a US company.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 04:25 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
I would install the chromolys shafts and use the stockers as trail spares. Youll have the shafts out anyway when you reheat. No sense in having expensive chromoly shafts collecting dust in the back of your rig. FYI Ive been running ten factorys for 6 years without issue. I bring my stock shafts front and rear with me every trip in case me or someone else needs them.
You do know that you can run a JK with out front axle shafts to get home if one breaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Quote:
I would install the chromolys shafts and use the stockers as trail spares. You’ll have the shafts out anyway when you reheat. No sense in having expensive chromoly shafts collecting dust in the back of your rig. FYI I’ve been running ten factory’s for 6 years without issue. I bring my stock shafts front and rear with me every trip in case me or someone else needs them.
You do know that you can run a JK with out front axle shafts to get home if one breaks?
Yes I’m aware. I would like the option to finish the day though not sit in the parking lot with 2 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode