UD60: ARB or E-locker?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By un lupus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
UD60: ARB or E-locker??

I'm been off the Jeep forums for a while and do not know the latest reports. Are people getting better results with the Ultimate Dana 60 with the ARB or E-locker option?? I'm close to ordering and wanted to feel the pulse of the enthusiast crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

ARB is far stronger...air lines are more prone to leaks/holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2018, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

I believe the UD60 still use the 2 pin design. I have them in my JK and havent had any issues with the lockers. Dont need a compressor, air lines or solenoids (which are prone to crapping out)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I'm aware of the external needs, pros/cons, of each design. I'm more interested in the robustness of the internal design. In short, if i'm dropping $12K on axles I want a no hassle deal. (here is my money, can I go play now, type deal)

I assume the design of the E-locker is the same as my Rubicon 44's, If I'm wrong here please correct me. And, i'm not overly impressed by the weak magnet design. I have my rear axle apart right now and am replacing the actuator. I tried the taking apart, polishing and shimming thing with very little positive results.

I'm trying to determine which option is the best probability of buy, install, and forget it. As Forrest Gump says "one less thing in life to worry about" would be my happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #5 of 14 Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I'm aware of the external needs, pros/cons, of each design. I'm more interested in the robustness of the internal design. In short, if i'm dropping $12K on axles I want a no hassle deal. (here is my money, can I go play now, type deal)

I assume the design of the E-locker is the same as my Rubicon 44's, If I'm wrong here please correct me. And, i'm not overly impressed by the weak magnet design. I have my rear axle apart right now and am replacing the actuator. I tried the taking apart, polishing and shimming thing with very little positive results.

I'm trying to determine which option is the best probability of buy, install, and forget it. As Forrest Gump says "one less thing in life to worry about" would be my happy ending.
The E-locker in the 60 configuration is way more robust than the 44 is just in relation to the size alone , I went with them in my Fusion axels , but I have the ARB's in my CJ and really don't find them to be a "pain in the ass " as so many folks tend to describe them , just drain the water from the air tank once in a while that's it .

Air lines properly installed and routed are a non-issue as well , all the people that complain about failures such as ripping them off will experience the same condition with the E-locker getting ripped off as well . So that is also a false concern too .

The only thing I like a little more is I can hear the ARB click at engagement and the E-locker is silent but that's it .

It really boils down to which one do you feel more comfortable with , personally I like the ARB for the ease if repair and ability to diagnose a problem than E-locker , you can see the function of the air .
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2018, 09:32 PM
DJ1
Rock God

ARB also makes a much beefier air line if you feel their standard blue line isn't up to par.

I haven't bothered to install it yet since the blue line has been doing fine on my front locker. It is easily the same diameter of some of the lines I have sitting here for hydro assist. It is definitely beefy.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
ARB also makes a much beefier air line if you feel their standard blue line isn't up to par.

I haven't bothered to install it yet since the blue line has been doing fine on my front locker. It is easily the same diameter of some of the lines I have sitting here for hydro assist. It is definitely beefy.
Crown Performance also makes lines for the air lines too , I like them, they have reinforcement at the ends to enhance wear resistance from the area that sees the most movement .
DJ1 likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-19-2018, 07:39 PM
SLO
Wheeler

I was wondering the same and NR4X4 tends to recommend the E-lockers in the UD60’s specifically. I guess they have been seeing some issues with ARB in the Ultimates. I don’t know details but it may be worthwhile calling them. I’m going E-lockers in Fusion 60’s just so I’m not relying on onboard air and worrying about air lines. I know many do it without issues but I don’t feel like dealing with it.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

I went with e-lockers in both my prorocks and ud60s for the reasons mentioned above. The ud60 locker is different than the rubi one. Only issue we've had with the ud60 one was that it didn't unlock when my wife broke the rear drive shaft on Metal Masher. The think the jolt bound it up. It took a hammer and punch on one of the "ramps" to turn it where the pins would release. It was a case of too much throttle i believe not so much a problem or defect in the locker.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Personally I have the E-lockers in my UD60’s with 40’s with zero issues,have a buddy running same setup on 45” swappers and he beats it “Hard” and has yet to have a breakage or any issues .

2012 Jkur
UD60’s 5.38’s E-lockers
3.5” RK coils
40” Coopers/DirtyLife BL’s
Rusty’s Long arms
AntIRocks
B.Lees steering
PSC/RNR Steering
Evo/UCF armor
post #11 of 14 Old 10-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzldust View Post
Personally I have the E-lockers in my UD60’s with 40’s with zero issues,have a buddy running same setup on 45” swappers and he beats it “Hard” and has yet to have a breakage or any issues .

What is your definition of “hard”? I’ve already broke the 2 pin rear locker and replaced it with a 4 pin on 40” cooper tires.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 AM
Granite Guru

I went with the Eaton E Locker when I had my PR44. I found it was stronger and engaged faster than the Rubicon E Locker. I never had a problem with either one. I would always slide the Jeep into neutral for a couple seconds when engaging them so there was no load on the driveline.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
What is your definition of “hard”? I’ve already broke the 2 pin rear locker and replaced it with a 4 pin on 40” cooper tires.

What were you doing?

post #14 of 14 Old 10-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
What were you doing?

Crawling rocks/trying to climb a 6 foot ledge. I upgraded to the 4 pin elocker and haven’t had any issues since then except spinning one of the front tubes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode