Onboard Air Options with LS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

Onboard Air Options with LS

Are there any good locations for onboard air in the engine bay with the LS or do I need to start considering options in the cabin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

you could do a York compressor.

https://jeepspeedshop.com/product/yo...et-ls-engines/

https://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-4-8...ompressor-kit/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Goatbuilt also makes a Yokr LS bracket:
https://goatbuilt.com/product/gm-ls-...assenger-side/

If you are going this route, do some research to make sure these will have enough clearance and they are the right offset for your belt drive system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

Thanks guys. So, it sounds like I either mount something like the ARB twin under a front seat or go with one of the York kits?
post #5 of 16 Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Thanks guys. So, it sounds like I either mount something like the ARB twin under a front seat or go with one of the York kits?
Or you could try mounting a viair behind the passenger tail light. I saw someone did it a few years back. I tried and couldn't get it to fit in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM
JKO Addict!

You have several options.

You can go with a belt driven York with one of the brackets mentioned. This is one of your highest flowing options since it will pump a lot more air than almost any electric compressor.

You can go with an ARB twin. I swear there is a way to still mount it under the hood with an LS. Keith B. on here made a custom bracket to mount it over the engine:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/elect...er-engine.html

You can mount the ARB twin under the seat.

You can try to sneak a VAIR behind the tail light like Uncle Sams Misguided Child suggested.

You can put a VAIR in the trunk compartment although I am not a huge fan of this one since those get hot and that is a contained area.

You can make a bracket somewhere in the trunk area and mount any compressor you want.

You can try to find the WARN winch with integrated compressor (although its no longer on their website).

You can run CO2.

You can buy an Oasis and have it take up half your trunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-19-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

Thanks ALASHA. Really comprehensive list. I think I like the York route the best. Although, since I’m going with e-lockers in my Dana 60’s, I’m even considering just getting 2 of the $50 compressors off Amazon and running them off a quick disconnect off the battery. For $100, I’m airing up two tires at a time.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-22-2018, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks ALASHA. Really comprehensive list. I think I like the York route the best. Although, since Iím going with e-lockers in my Dana 60ís, Iím even considering just getting 2 of the $50 compressors off Amazon and running them off a quick disconnect off the battery. For $100, Iím airing up two tires at a time.
There are kits out there (cant remember the brand at the moment) that will allow you to fill all 4 tires at the same time and have a bleed valve or something to notify you when you have reached your desired psi.

As for the electric compressors, what size tire are you running and what psi do you plan to air them up. A York flows significantly more air than those little compressors so think about how much time you want to spend waiting vs. how much you want to spend.

For me, I hate waiting so the York is awesome and the Oasis should be even better. The York take my 40" tire from 10 to 30 psi is roughly 1 minute 15 seconds if I remember right.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 AM
Rock God

The York compressor's the best way to go for sure as far as high volume air. Can easily run impact guns off it. Gotta make sure ya keep oil in it though or they'll burn up after a while. And make damned sure ya get the belt routed correctly. Previous owner of the Turd had a bullshit kit from Nemesis to mount one on the hemi. Totally fucked up design.

So we then went with the twin ARB instead. Which is a suitable replacement in my opinion but definitely ain't got the balls of a York. Had it under the passenger seat for awhile but got tired of listenin' to it and it wouldn't fit no more anyhow once we lowered the seats for more headroom. So put the stereo amp under there instead and moved the ARB compressor under the hood. I like that better. It's also hooked to one of them deals Alasha's talkin' 'bout where you pipe the air down the frame rails and then hook all 4 tires into the system at once. It's a pretty damned convenient to let the system do all the work of airin' up or down while ya stand there and drink Coors.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

For reference, found one of them fancy systems I mentioned:

https://updownair.com/product-catego...ation-systems/

post #11 of 16 Old 12-29-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

That’s a really cool system. JK Innovations makes one as well. I ended up going with a Power Tank. I like the idea of the Monster Valves paired with the tank. I don’t have my Jeep back yet but my understanding is that you can air up and down in less that 30 seconds.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-29-2018, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thatís a really cool system. JK Innovations makes one as well. I ended up going with a Power Tank. I like the idea of the Monster Valves paired with the tank. I donít have my Jeep back yet but my understanding is that you can air up and down in less that 30 seconds.
Sorry for not chiming in earlier. I've been running the ARB twin under the passenger seat for a while now and like that.

I made my own 4 tire inflation doomaflatchi and posted about it here....
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/write...-deflator.html

It works well.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-30-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Sorry for not chiming in earlier. I've been running the ARB twin under the passenger seat for a while now and like that.

I made my own 4 tire inflation doomaflatchi and posted about it here....
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/write...-deflator.html

It works well.
What a cool idea. I like the inline pressure gauge. I actually found some sites that sell the thin poly air line line the JK Innovations kit uses. It rolls up much more compact.

I may put the ARB twin compressor under the seat as a backup to the Power Tank. Is there any reason it couldn’t go under the driver seat?
post #14 of 16 Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Is there any reason it couldnít go under the driver seat?
The lengths of 8ga wiring to the battery is just right when the compressor is under the passenger seat.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-30-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
SLO
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post

The lengths of 8ga wiring to the battery is just right when the compressor is under the passenger seat.
Got it. That makes sense. I still haven’t found where the access is in the firewall on the passenger side. I’d re-wire everything if I could find it but right now, everything is going through the access hole on the driver side but it has to traverse back to the battery. Lots of extra wire.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-31-2018, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Got it. That makes sense. I still havenít found where the access is in the firewall on the passenger side. Iíd re-wire everything if I could find it but right now, everything is going through the access hole on the driver side but it has to traverse back to the battery. Lots of extra wire.
See the gigantic hole on the passenger side.

That's where the main wiring bundle goes through. Should be able to finagle a wire through there.

Name:  DSC06487.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  823.0 KB
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode