• 1 Post By Treader
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-14-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Ected vs Eaton for D30?

Got a '12 JKU automatic and I am trying to decide between Auburn Ected and Eaton. Pros? Cons? Opinions?

--- 2012 JKU with some goodies ---
--- 1997 XJ with even more goodies ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

unless fortified properly ( everything else in the driveline & then some) I have seen it be less than worth such a steep investment price to go with a selectable in the D30 ..if you are really gonna use it.

I have a D30 that is built as far as one can be and I would not put a selectable within it. Too much potential for - in my case- r&p damage as those are my front weak links.

I have had amazing results with the TORQLockerr from Torque Masters . It is a modern take on the venerable auto-locking Aussie but way, way different.

Check it out here.

I also would go with OX lockers if I just had to choose a selectable; I run one out rear with electric switch and it is a beast. Made in USA and great support from a very experienced and honest guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Wait... Ected and Auburn too steep of an investment but OX is good to go with? They are about the same price range.

Anyways D30 can take a lot of abuse. 4.11s and a selectable for mild wheeling when you need extra traction up front is not much of an issue (I wheeled a 4.88 locked d30 with a detroit on 35s for years... Granted with time I went to look shafts but before then the worst that happened to me was. Busted joint).

Anyways, this is my "tske it easy" jeep (my XJ has detroits front and rear) and I want a locker just in case.* Why see selectable? I sometimes visit snow plus it appears that with '12+ you cant do automatic lockers.

So I am looking to see if anyone has either and how they like it.* Oh yeah... Not a fan of ARB as I dont want to deal with air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Rock God

I think what Jeffery was trying to say was, a SELECTABLE in the from is a steep investment when you could go with an AUTO and get the same thing. He is a big proponent of those auto lockers, especially for the front axle. They act like an open diff while in 2wd, but are locked when in 4wd. Also the updated design of the Torq over the Aussie quiets the ratcheting noise a lot. I believe why he stated OX over those 2 you stated was due to mechanical and not electronic. Now, I'm reading between the lines and knowing what Jeffery likes and probably making some assumptions.

In regards to your 12+ with auto lockers, I have never heard that you cannot put one in there. I don't see how the year has anything to do with what's in the axle. When time comes (Christmas gift), I will go with a Torq in the front axle of my Jeep.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #5 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Couple things : auto locker in 12+ auto can cause the computer go to limp mode - something to do with how the speed sensors interact with the computer. To confirm that I spent a fair amount of time with the Detroit folks at the recent jeep show in pomona. They confirmed that auto Detroit in the rear is a definate no no and they said they weren't sure what would be the behaviour in the front. I asked them if rear issues could be related to poor hear setup and they said that it shouldnt be the case as they ran tests on axles they had setup... So there is enough out there not to want to setup a full case detroit up front just to find out it is going to not work.

Also front detroit is not 100% invisible when in 2wd. In very tight turns in 2wd you can also feel it.

Regarding the original question I think I finally found the answer- auburn ected is not a full electric locker - it appears to be electrically augmented LSD that never fully locks.

post #6 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I wouldn't ever put an ected, never truly locks up. It just puts a ton of pressure on the limited slip, which seems like a locker but when pushed hard they slip quite a bit.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #7 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

you had it correct, @Treader ; I was stating in a lame way that if OP was dead set on a selectable, the OX would get my vote over those ( cost is a consideration that'll be way down the list if someone is upgrading and locking a front D30 ...) simply because it has 4 pins and is better made than those other two selectable lockers.

I had forgotten about the wig-out of autolocking '12s and up with their being slightly more sensitive but I also know other folks running Torq lockers in newer than 12 JKs without issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
you had it correct, @Treader ; I was stating in a lame way that if OP was dead set on a selectable, the OX would get my vote over those ( cost is a consideration that'll be way down the list if someone is upgrading and locking a front D30 ...) simply because it has 4 pins and is better made than those other two selectable lockers.

I had forgotten about the wig-out of autolocking '12s and up with their being slightly more sensitive but I also know other folks running Torq lockers in newer than 12 JKs without issue.

I must be missing something here. It looks like OX Locker is about $826 and Eaton ELocker is $879 - $50 is not a great difference. I know some talk about taking into account that OX includes a heavy duty diff cover, but for me that's not a big factor. So they are roughly the same price?
< edit > just poked around and found that I could get Elocker for as low as $839..... since I am not in a hurry to buy I might get a better price which might be same or lower as OX < / edit >

Re folks with auto's running auto lockers without issues - yes, there seem to be quite a few of those, but that's a risk I'm not willing to take as there are quite a few reports of people that go to limp mode, so calculating my time and effort of installing a locker which I might have to sell at a loss if it doesn't work out, I'd rather fork out about 3 bills more (Detroit full case is about $500 and change I think) I'd rather go selectable. Plus there is the rain/snow factor - I don't want it locking up on me - or rather on my wife when she takes out the jeep

Last edited by kejtar; 10-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Granite Guru

I've been running a fully built D30 with a Detroit locker for a out 3 years without issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
I've been running a fully built D30 with a Detroit locker for a out 3 years without issues.

which year and which transmission?

post #11 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

2012 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejtar View Post
which year and which transmission?
post #12 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
2012 automatic

Ugh... this is what drives me nuts..... It seems that there either is a computer issue that affects some and not others or the ones that have issues are related to bad setup (close enough to run but loose enough to make the speed sensors go nuts) or.....

Anyways, when I was regearing from 3.23's to 4.11's I almost did a detroit up front but was told I will have issues.... and then the fact that the folks @ Detroit couldn't tell me now one way or the other....

post #13 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Ugh... this is what drives me nuts..... It seems that there either is a computer issue that affects some and not others or the ones that have issues are related to bad setup (close enough to run but loose enough to make the speed sensors go nuts) or.....

Anyways, when I was regearing from 3.23's to 4.11's I almost did a detroit up front but was told I will have issues.... and then the fact that the folks @ Detroit couldn't tell me now one way or the other....
I buy my parts mostly from northridge 4x4. The guys there are pretty much strait forward when I have a question. When I was rebuilding my rears they recommended the Detroit locker.

post #14 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I buy my parts mostly from northridge 4x4. The guys there are pretty much strait forward when I have a question. When I was rebuilding my rears they recommended the Detroit locker.

Are you running front and rear detroits? Interestingly enough - before I spoke to the Detroit folks, I called Randy's Ring and Pinion when I was doing my regear and the rep said - I won't even sell it to you because you will have issues...... I wish there was a way to hack the computer in the JK to bypass some of the sensor stupidity and not have to worry about possibilities...

post #15 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

Just running one in the front, I'm still using the factory limited slip in the rear until I start having issues with it
I don't honestly know where you got this info on people having computer issues. I have never heard of anyone having such an issue and I've built many of rears in my day.
Quote:
Are you running front and rear detroits? Interestingly enough - before I spoke to the Detroit folks, I called Randy's Ring and Pinion when I was doing my regear and the rep said - I won't even sell it to you because you will have issues...... I wish there was a way to hack the computer in the JK to bypass some of the sensor stupidity and not have to worry about possibilities...
post #16 of 25 Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2...se-572225.html
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...-question.html
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ockers-321827/

and there are more... also I did speak with folks from Detroit who confirmed the rear end issues and were wishy washy on front end.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I must be missing something here. It looks like OX Locker is about $826 and Eaton ELocker is $879 - $50 is not a great difference. I know some talk about taking into account that OX includes a heavy duty diff cover, but for me that's not a big factor. So they are roughly the same price?
< edit > just poked around and found that I could get Elocker for as low as $839..... since I am not in a hurry to buy I might get a better price which might be same or lower as OX < / edit >

Re folks with auto's running auto lockers without issues - yes, there seem to be quite a few of those, but that's a risk I'm not willing to take as there are quite a few reports of people that go to limp mode, so calculating my time and effort of installing a locker which I might have to sell at a loss if it doesn't work out, I'd rather fork out about 3 bills more (Detroit full case is about $500 and change I think) I'd rather go selectable. Plus there is the rain/snow factor - I don't want it locking up on me - or rather on my wife when she takes out the jeep

FWIW, John's Facebook or Web page ( sorry, OX Lockers) has annual black Friday sales as-well-as other annual sales where you can save a fair amount but it maybe frustrating to ask my input on cost since I am not objectionable to paying higher dollar for the quality parts. I like the reliability of the Drive-A-Way solution ( already helped me and a friend on trails this year) to manually control the locker as well as the OX permitting any of the three solutions to activate ( electric, air or manual cable ) . It is a USA company making the entire thing in the USA and it is basically bombproof. But I am not suggesting it is cheaper or more than the others ..I researched and it was far stronger and what I was looking for to move from the TruLock rear LSD my JKUs came with . Just my opinion is all. ( you do get 1st class support & services from dealing with OX, also ..being in Florida lets them respond and ship stuff quickly)

...nyway, I will drop the OX topic!

I cannot elaborate on it but for the front, therre should be no issue with the auto-locker if it is a Torq Locker. I cannot even tell the thing is there unless I do the sharpest turn radius I am capable of and even then, it is not clattery or chirping he tires. Just a small tactile click or two in steering wheel is felt. Check out the page for it and call Cora or Erik at Torque Masters and ask. They have them in TJs, JKs and ( recently) JLUs . Here is a picture of how it differs from the Aussie that they also own . It's keyways and design eliminated the internal cups that make the rukus and strengthen it considerably. Now, I run RCVs, so it is likely contributing to smoothing the thing out a bit but I have seen others running these and they are not like the old auto lockers at all. Smooth, no interference by design and strong as you can comprehend. It is my favorite upgrade by far. Changed my whole capability profile by great amount.

However, if the missus is driving it in snow or icy conditions, I might hold off; there is no amount of tech or strength tht can eliminate the oversteeer an autolocker brings if road driving in that condition; selectable would be the way I would go up front if I had to DD and winter conditions were evident...well, I might not ( I can drive in that cond ) but not many folks can pull it off. It can get outta control on you pretty quickly. I missed this criteria by our OP.

I would still call OX and talk with them about your front locking options

( @Treader is gonna say something about my failure with RTV; poor dude got some diff covers from me and had to scrape RTV gasket off of them for weks, I think So, I am only allowed to use LubeLocker gaskets from now on..I even had gotten a little oozed RightStuff on the ring gear - you can see the little flap of it up topof the ring in image - when I opened this the other day, lol )

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-16-2018 at 04:36 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Rock God

Hell yeah I'm still sour about it. Pretty sure there was 10 pounds of RTV that came off just the diff covers.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #19 of 25 Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Wheeler

prob get some shit for this $$ in a 30 but idgaf and tons are @ 90%

2008 JKU
I have an Eaton E-locker in a 30 and 5.13 and it eats ring gears for breakfast but I really like the locker. I have changed to a set of rcv I found used and have had no issues. the R&P would normally go when the wheels were tuned and I feel the constant velocity helped.
I also have an Ected in the rear 44 and I also really like it and the limited slip is a nice touch. Mine locks up good so far.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #20 of 25 Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Hell yeah I'm still sour about it. Pretty sure there was 10 pounds of RTV that came off just the diff covers.
LMAO

Will it help if I swear ( truth) that one of those damn lever equipped tubes erupted &instead of it goin all over the floor I tried to use as much as possible ...you know, to get as "THOROUGH" a coating as possible...since I knew the remaining $11.00 worth was gonna dry up all over the garage floor if I didn't?
Have any of you had one of those stupid things let loose on you? it is like one of those firework snakes and it just keeps giving....

hahaha...it was an epic failure I had forgotten about...sorry, bud....

post #21 of 25 Old 11-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Wheeler

I just had one of those big cans with the trigger snap off before I could get anything out. Pretty much the opposite of your problem. Expensive too.

To the OP I’m running a Yukon Zip Locker in my D30 with 35’s. I wheel in the Midwest with mostly woods, mud, some rocks, and lots of steep climbs. I don’t hammer down on obstacles but I’m not easy on it and haven’t broken a thing. If you can do the work yourself rehearing a D30 with a locker is worth the $1k. Some places quoted over $2k installed and then I start to wonder if it’s not worth upgrading the axle at the same time.

cadoffroad.com
2014 JKU Freedom Edition Hydro Blue
MC 3.5" Lift
37" Milestar Patagonia Tires
ATX Ravine 17x9 Rims
Barricade (SRC) Roof Rack
Barricade Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC 12000 Lb Winch
D44 Yukon Zip Locker - 4.56
ARB Locked ProRock44 Front w/ 35 Spline Shafts
LOD Rock Rails
MC Overline Fender Flares
CAD adjustable F/R bump stops
post #22 of 25 Old 11-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Rock God

Doing anything to a Dana 30 is pretty much a worthless investment unless you plan on trading it in once it's paid off. As far as what Jeffrey's saying, you're definitely missing something. For 1. He stated he has one in the rear (44) which is a lot stronger than a 30, he said he wouldn't waste the money on a Dana 30, and that's what I would recommend. For the cost of the selectable you could pick up a rubicon 44, sell your stock axle to some poor sap that wrecked theirs, and would be mile ahead; with a selectable. Have fun wasting your money though, as I'm sure you'll end up putting lip stick on that pig.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #23 of 25 Old 11-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Wheeler

I do love wasting money like Chuck said, but he is correct. Only reason I did it was I have a CJ2A project they will go under and be perfect. If you do not have a situation that makes sense for a 30 then ditch it sooner than later and save the $ for the (minimum) 44 you need and really want.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #24 of 25 Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks all! So here's the scoop. If I am able to get a D44 with a locker for under $1K, I will jump all over it. On the other hand if in the next few weeks (Black Friday time), I will be able to get a really good deal on a locker I will jump on that instead.

Re D30 vs D44 - well, the D44 has bigger R&P but the outers and ujoints and bearings are really a D30. I also have an XJ with 4.88's and a detroit in a D30 on 35's and I wheeled it with a heavy foot. I have not broken (knock on wood) anything on it.

So I fully understand the limitations of the D30 and not sure if the JK in a short to mid future will need anything more up front. It will need though a traction device as getting stuck can happen even on 32's Given the fact that I would install it myself (I do my own gears), the costs are lower for me (as noone ever counts their own labor in costs) and all I need is the locker and new bearings.

post #25 of 25 Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

there's so much unmerited flack the Dana 30 HP that is in the non-Rubicon JK/JKUs it is ridiculous. The D30 is the same strength as the darn 44 except the pinion and ring gear and outer Cs by a small amount ( ring gear diameter in the Dana 44 is 8 1/2″ - the Dana 30 ring gear diameter is 7 1/8″ ,also). The actual housings are absolutely the same strength.

If you cant go full retard on UD60s or a Fusion4x4 setup then this is not a bad option , or any worse than a 44 Dana. Anyone behind the wheel can break a housing or some other junk...there is a viable skill in dredging the the very-most that can be wrungout of something , even if temporarily

. Does it cost money you could use to go to a new set? yes. But can you beef the freaking ridiculous hell out of a 30 and get by minus hammer-time? absolutely

Most'll say it is stupid but I wanna do new axles right so ,as I $ave( axles, wheels, tires, brakes, etc), my maxed out D30 is fine for the lite 37s I run.I am in no manner easy on the thing at all. I wouldn't be sayin this without nodding at Artec and Synergy Mfg, ,RCV, ,Yukon, Torque Masters and OX for having brought such good upgrades to the market..

Donut707 likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-13-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode