Rear Falcon Shocks with Synergy long travel shock mount - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cduemig
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Gobi_Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews
Rear Falcon Shocks with Synergy long travel shock mount

Question:

Has anybody used this combo? I have searched and haven't found anybody (not to say that I couldn't have missed something). I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work but wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with it.

Backstory:

I purchased a "like new" set of Falcon 3.3s off of a nearby member of this forum. They are the 2.5"-3.5" version. At the time my plan was to go with a lift in that range, but I have since installed fenders and a leveling kit. I am really liking how it is sitting and functioning where it is now with my 35s, and I don't really want to go higher (at this time)

I have really wanted to use these shocks without adding more than a 1" bumpstop to either axle. The fronts I put on and after cutting off the stock shock mounts and welding new Artec ones (if your a vegetarian I would not recommend these as they are BEEFY) rotated down a bit and slightly more outboard. I am not too worried about them catching on anything for two reasons:

1. In SE WI there is not much as far as rock crawling
2. The knuckle and lower control arm mounts on either side of the shock mount still hang much lower than the shock mount

I am pretty pleased with the front setup. After cycling the suspension I don't think I need any bumpstop extensions, but I am going to make up some 1/2" spacers just to be sure I don't overcompress the shocks.

The rears I think are going to be a bit trickier. Obviously in order to keep my uptravel I need to either raise the upper mount or lower the bottom one (as I did on the front). My issues with the bottom are again two fold:

1. The bracket is part of the CA mount and it is angled so it maybe a bit trickier. There are plenty of bracket options for raising the bottom mount but none for lowering it. (Understandably so because of my next reason)
2. The rear shocks mount SUPER LOW on the axle as it is. I have these purdy and valueable shocks and don't really want them getting smashed up and wrecking the adjustment knob.

The best solution I could think of for lowering the bottom mount is to get Teraflex HD skid (the one that can be welded on) and modifying it to mount and inch-ish lower. This would move it down and protect it, but that skid would hang even lower. When I eventually go with a full lift, I could then mount it in a higher position and trim the CA mount (per Teraflex's directions)

My other option (raising the top mount) would most easily be done with the previously mentioned Synergy bracket and maybe a better option overall (in fact I could then in future raise the lower mount giving me the best of both worlds).

So back to the question...

I am away of the sway bar needing to be moved back, which requires messing with the exhaust. Besides those two things, is there anything else that may cause any issues? (Due to the larger shock body, or the shock being mounted at more of an angle)

I am going to throw it up on a lift and take a look at it, but it would be great if somebody here could give me an easy answer of "hey! I did this and here is my experience." Or atleast some insight as to what I should be concerned with.



PS Sorry for the long-windedness. I figure too much info is better than not enough (especially with me being a newb to this forum)
Gobi_Rubi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Gobi_Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

I was hoping that was going to look shorter once it posted, but it looks longer than I thought
Gobi_Rubi is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Wheeler
 
cduemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 35
Posts: 88
Feedback: 0 reviews

It should work. You can see the videos of install where the synergy mounts move the shocks and mimic it. The Falcon's being outboard shouldn't cause a problem but only one way to know for sure. Have you compressed the shocks to see for sure if they're too short?

cadoffroad.com
2014 JKU Freedom Edition Hydro Blue
MC 3.5" Lift
37" Milestar Patagonia Tires
ATX Ravine 17x9 Rims
Barricade (SRC) Roof Rack
Barricade Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC 12000 Lb Winch
D44 Yukon Zip Locker - 4.56
ARB Locked ProRock44 Front w/ 35 Spline Shafts
LOD Rock Rails
MC Overline Fender Flares
CAD adjustable F/R bump stops
cduemig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-29-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Gobi_Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduemig View Post
It should work. You can see the videos of install where the synergy mounts move the shocks and mimic it. The Falcon's being outboard shouldn't cause a problem but only one way to know for sure. Have you compressed the shocks to see for sure if they're too short?
Thanks for the response, I've been meaning to post back on here. I did look at how they mounted and didn't see any issues. I talked to PIG and he didn't know of anybody running the mounts with Falcons, but didn't see any issues. I decided to order them up and be the guinea pig. Besides a slight fitment issue with the driver side bracket (I just opened a couple of the holes up a bit) I did get them installed and they seem to fit well.

I did have to remove the rear swaybar (I was expecting this since I have stock exhaust). Im probably going to redo my exhaust eventually so I can reinstall it though.

As far as checking if they were too long (you said short but Im assuming you meant long), I did not. The Falcons are exactly 2" longer (collapsed) than the stock Rubicon shocks so I am fairly certain I would need that much bumpstop if I wouldn't have relocated. I am planning on pulling my coils and cycling the suspension, but based on my measurements, they seem about perfect with the Synergy mounts.
Gobi_Rubi is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,706
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi_Rubi View Post
I was hoping that was going to look shorter once it posted, but it looks longer than I thought
you can get carried-away writin those things , huh?


Yer fine; I used to write whole chapters ...




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2018, 06:39 AM
Wheeler
 
Alfie831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Salinas, Ca
Posts: 62
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I mounted the Synergy upper shock mounts with the Falcon shocks. I had to install these because I purchased the 4-6 inch travel shocks on a 3" lift lift, with the Evo Rockstar skids. Which brought the lower mounts up and caused me to bottom out the shocks, due to less up travel. The trade off with the longer shocks is they have awesome down travel.

I had already installed the Evo skids a couple years back or I would've gone with the Synergy upper and lower kits. You might have to modify your exhaust depending on what you have as well. I'm happy with the shocks and mounts. They work for me.

Jeff

Jeff
Alfie831 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-31-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Gobi_Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie831 View Post
I mounted the Synergy upper shock mounts with the Falcon shocks. I had to install these because I purchased the 4-6 inch travel shocks on a 3" lift lift, with the Evo Rockstar skids. Which brought the lower mounts up and caused me to bottom out the shocks, due to less up travel. The trade off with the longer shocks is they have awesome down travel.

I had already installed the Evo skids a couple years back or I would've gone with the Synergy upper and lower kits. You might have to modify your exhaust depending on what you have as well. I'm happy with the shocks and mounts. They work for me.

Jeff
It sounds like you were in a similar situation as I was. As of now, I just removed my swaybar and left my exhaust alone. I have noticed a slight increase in body roll around corners so I would like reinstall a swaybar back there eventually. Seeing how their isn't much performance to be gained from an aftermarket exhaust, and I don't really want it to be much louder, I think that I may just go for an AntiRock (as opposed to messing with the exhaust and reinstalling the stock bar).


Alfie...Out of curiousity, what did you do for the front shocks?
Gobi_Rubi is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM
Wheeler
 
Alfie831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Salinas, Ca
Posts: 62
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi_Rubi View Post
It sounds like you were in a similar situation as I was. As of now, I just removed my swaybar and left my exhaust alone. I have noticed a slight increase in body roll around corners so I would like reinstall a swaybar back there eventually. Seeing how their isn't much performance to be gained from an aftermarket exhaust, and I don't really want it to be much louder, I think that I may just go for an AntiRock (as opposed to messing with the exhaust and reinstalling the stock bar).


Alfie...Out of curiousity, what did you do for the front shocks?
I went with a rear Currie Anti-Rock as well but depending on your wheel offset, be ready to have wheel spacers too. With the added down travel provided by the Falcons, the rear axle shifts and the Currie Anti-Rock arms rub against the tire on the driver's side. Again, I went with Synergy to fix the rubbing and its fine now. I don't have a stock exhaust either. I replaced the bulky stock muffler with a Magnaflow for better clearance and left the rest of the system intact. Like yourself, I didn't want it louder and was more concerned with budget and clearance. Its still quiet. Almost sounds stock. If you didn't know what a stock JK sounded like, you wouldn't know its aftermarket.

Regarding the front; I have a Currie Anti-Rock with the Falcons and thats it. Oh and King bump stops as well. Usually around town, Im at the #2 position and it handles really well. Surprisingly well. The #3 position when loaded down going on a trip and #1 or 2 on the trail, depending on how heavy I am. All said and done, it flexes out really well, the handling is awesome on and off-road and traction is good. I'm on 37's with a Synergy/Rock Krawler lift. RK springs and Synergy everywhere else.

As you're probably well aware, nothing is just "bolt on" regardless of what manufactures say. Especially when you start mix and matching so to speak. Hope my experience helps.

Jeff

Jeff
Alfie831 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Gobi_Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 24
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie831 View Post
I went with a rear Currie Anti-Rock as well but depending on your wheel offset, be ready to have wheel spacers too.
So what is your effective backspacing? I do have 1.5" spacers but Im still on stock rims (according to Curries specs that should work but that may not account for long travel shocks). I wouldn't mind being a bit wider, but once Im ready for 37s I am hoping to find a slightly used set mounted on beadlocks to solve that issue.

I was cruising around on the road at setting 1, but without the swaybar I could definitely feel more body roll. Turning them up to the 2.6 setting seemed to help alleviate most of it and still rides well. Im sure next time I go out to the sand dunes I will crank them all up to 3 and have a much better time then I did bottoming out the stock suspension (which in all honestly was still a really good time )
Gobi_Rubi is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Wheeler
 
cduemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 35
Posts: 88
Feedback: 0 reviews

If you’re looking for a muffler I’d check out Magnaflow’s quiet crawler setup. They were out of stock when I did mine so I ordered the two mufflers and just had a local shop weld it up. I leave for work at 3am and don’t worry at all about firing it up. It’s pretty quiet with a nice sound. Best of all both mufflers tuck up nicely between the rails leaving the back wide open.
Alfie831 likes this.

cadoffroad.com
2014 JKU Freedom Edition Hydro Blue
MC 3.5" Lift
37" Milestar Patagonia Tires
ATX Ravine 17x9 Rims
Barricade (SRC) Roof Rack
Barricade Front Bumper
Smittybilt XRC 12000 Lb Winch
D44 Yukon Zip Locker - 4.56
ARB Locked ProRock44 Front w/ 35 Spline Shafts
LOD Rock Rails
MC Overline Fender Flares
CAD adjustable F/R bump stops
cduemig is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Wheeler
 
Alfie831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Salinas, Ca
Posts: 62
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi_Rubi View Post
So what is your effective backspacing? I do have 1.5" spacers but Im still on stock rims (according to Curries specs that should work but that may not account for long travel shocks). I wouldn't mind being a bit wider, but once Im ready for 37s I am hoping to find a slightly used set mounted on beadlocks to solve that issue.

I was cruising around on the road at setting 1, but without the swaybar I could definitely feel more body roll. Turning them up to the 2.6 setting seemed to help alleviate most of it and still rides well. Im sure next time I go out to the sand dunes I will crank them all up to 3 and have a much better time then I did bottoming out the stock suspension (which in all honestly was still a really good time )
Ahh okay. Yeah you need spacers w/stock wheels. My backspacing is 4.5. Mickey Thompson 17x9 SideBiters on 37" BFG KM2. Considering going to the Patagonia 38x13.50-17 or the new KM3 in a 39x13.50-17 next year. I think a 5.5 offset will work for you. Thats what my buddy has on his wheels. Also running a Currie A/R and 37x13.50-17's. He had Synergy 1.5 spacers and no rubbing.

Yeah keep fooling around with the settings on the shocks. I think you're going to like them.

Jeff
Alfie831 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Wheeler
 
Alfie831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Salinas, Ca
Posts: 62
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduemig View Post
If you’re looking for a muffler I’d check out Magnaflow’s quiet crawler setup. They were out of stock when I did mine so I ordered the two mufflers and just had a local shop weld it up. I leave for work at 3am and don’t worry at all about firing it up. It’s pretty quiet with a nice sound. Best of all both mufflers tuck up nicely between the rails leaving the back wide open.
Yeah thats a nice setup. I went even cheaper by just replacing the rear muffler out. I kept the stock resonator to keep it quiet. Helped out a lot. I initially straight piped it but it was too "raspy" for me so I reinstalled the resonator. Although the rear isn't wide open which is a benefit to the quiet crawler system, I significantly increased my clearance with the Magnaflow Muffler. I haven't scraped it once out west on the rocks. You cant see it unless you get on you're hands and knees and look under the Jeep. Works perfect for me.

Jeff
Alfie831 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome