6Likes
  • 3 Post By KOWBOY
  • 1 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME
  • 1 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Removing jeep parts for gm parts

Iím wanting to put a 5.3 in my JKU, I want to pull all of the Jeep computers and wiring out, including the factory hvac, etc, basically just keep the body, frame, and what trim I can on the inside, then replace with gm computers, parts, wiring etc, has anyone done this with their JK? Iím sure itís more complicated then it sounds.

This is and will be my daily driver, so I would like to keep power steering and brakes, as well as standard safety features if possible. I donít care if I have to replace gauges and stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

I've never done it, but I see no reason why it can't be done if there is enough room. Just need the tranny and tcase to go with it I would think right?
post #3 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Welcome to JKO. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyJKU View Post
... I want to pull all of the Jeep computers and wiring out, including the factory hvac, etc, basically just keep the body, frame, and what trim I can on the inside, then replace with gm computers, parts, wiring etc, has anyone done this with their JK?
Crazy talk.
rockystock, Mason and libordemise like this.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM
JKowners Vendor

Plan on replacing pretty much everything inside the Jeep.

The cluster runs the wipers and turn signals and a few other things.
So you would have to figure out a way to change the wiper motor to something older and add a switch
You would have to add a turn signal switch and related wiring for them
You would need to add a relay and wiring for the stop lamps
You would need a switch and relay for the headlights and marker lights

You would need a conventional ignition switch as your JK switch is basically just a position switch telling the other computers what position the key is in.

Your TIPM is the main brains and relay power distribution center. Without it you get squat. no lights, power windows, locks, AC,Heat etc.... If you leave it in you still need all the factory switches in place to make everything work.

HVAC is all computer controlled for the most part. You may be able to get the blower to work without the TIPM.

You wont have ABS or any airbags

I could go on...................

The easiest way to "GUT" the jeep is to leave as much factory stuff in place and working and you will have a lot less work to do.
You can remove the cluster circuit board from the housing, plug it in and stuff it in the dash somewhere and then run aftermarket gauges.

Use the factory key to power on the jeep and then add a push button start

Wire the GM side full standalone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #6 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

Or if you plan on running a GEN3 5.3 with drive by wire you can just buy our harness and make everything function saving you a ton of time and headache.
Then you have more time to build the Jeep and enjoy it.

RpmExtreme LS JK GEN3 DIY Conversion Harness 07-10 :: RPM Extreme

stevenjoh1972 likes this.

post #7 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

Rpm... good sales technique.... I want to do this now
post #8 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
Rpm... good sales technique.... I want to do this now
Just telling it like it is. You have no idea how many guys call up trying to make crap work after they try to go standalone.

Its so much easier just to do it correctly from the beginning. it cost a little more up front but in the end its much cheaper
libordemise likes this.

post #9 of 23 Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
Just telling it like it is. You have no idea how many guys call up trying to make crap work after they try to go standalone.

Its so much easier just to do it correctly from the beginning. it cost a little more up front but in the end its much cheaper
Now is this just the 2007 forward. Iím still wondering about my 2005 LJ with a bad PCM and no replacements from Chrysler. I know on the JKs the canbus runs everything but what about the 05/06.
Sorry to hijack.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Hello there, noticed you want to gut the jk and go chevy, I am in the start of my JK project. Im going along the way Genright Teramoto build but i want heat ,air,and power windows, I have motor built trans built and a Atlas case ,just using the Tub and Frame, i have suspension done 6 inc long arm evo lever Are you on facebook ? i have trouble with sending pictures on this site,it would be nice to talk to others gutting there jk and get ride of Jeep canbus system Friend me on face book will send you pictures ,if you like take care Robert Honeyman
post #11 of 23 Old 11-22-2018, 07:47 AM

5.3 swap. Electrical options?

I have my project. On the go. I'm building my own dash running a Dakoda dash. Gps speedo. Full manual 4L60.etc will probably go with vintage air and heat or ? My question is. I want to run my power windows and wipers. The whole Jeep is gutted wiper and door locks and windows are the only parts I want to use, does anyone know if someone makes or could make me a power distribution for these , or do I need a TIPM. I thought I could make them work without TIPM. They are all 12 volts . So I thought I could just run them with switches. Thru my new non Canbus system I'm going to use. Thanks for your help. Rob
post #12 of 23 Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
I have my project. On the go. I'm building my own dash running a Dakoda dash. Gps speedo. Full manual 4L60.etc will probably go with vintage air and heat or ? My question is. I want to run my power windows and wipers. The whole Jeep is gutted wiper and door locks and windows are the only parts I want to use, does anyone know if someone makes or could make me a power distribution for these , or do I need a TIPM. I thought I could make them work without TIPM. They are all 12 volts . So I thought I could just run them with switches. Thru my new non Canbus system I'm going to use. Thanks for your help. Rob
Id bet Painless has a hot rod harness or something like that that would suit your needs

post #13 of 23 Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Id bet Painless has a hot rod harness or something like that that would suit your needs
This is what I'm using:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-10140/overview/

Plan is to have switches in the center console for the power windows/locks, wipers, lights, turn signals, horn, ignition and whatever else I'm forgetting right now.

I think Kowboy used a harness from American Autowire.

@SwampDonkeyJKU . Where are you located? If you say Cali, you're fucked.

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 11-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the info guys , I've been doing lots of research, I'm also getting good direction from Hazzard Fab in Spokane . I've got the RPM extreme mounts and have talked to them once on the phone. They were great called me back right away when I was looking for a GM part number. Because I live in Canada everything is about 45% more. It's longer process. I noticed the comment for the guy who live in Cal. I guess your talking about emissions? Or ? Up here I just get my build inspected , so it meets safety . Doesn't need air bags etc. just fenders day time light all the regular stuff. But the good thing I can register and insure it as a Modified vehicle. I will probably run som performance cats. Got any sugestions? For my dash, I was looking at 12 Volt guy. Looks like nice stuff. What sujestions for steering column? Lots to pre plan on this build. When I tack pictures with I pad I will post some for you guys. Any help or sujustions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Rob
post #15 of 23 Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Iím mighty interested as well. I have my lq9 on position and getting ready to setup the suspension. I went with Novak mounts and also purchased their tachometer emulator as I from my research the tach signal should be all thatís needed to run all the jk electronics. If anyone can confirm this, Itíf be hella appreciated. I want as close to hot rod stand alone as possible, with heat and AC.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

Yukon.
I assume you live in B.C. ? Where abouts?

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #17 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
Iím mighty interested as well. I have my lq9 on position and getting ready to setup the suspension. I went with Novak mounts and also purchased their tachometer emulator as I from my research the tach signal should be all thatís needed to run all the jk electronics. If anyone can confirm this, Itíf be hella appreciated. I want as close to hot rod stand alone as possible, with heat and AC.

Ok, mother fucker, now start a build thread.

Been wondering where you've been hiding.

I'll post my answers to your questions in your build thread.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Kevin
post #18 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Ok, mother fucker, now start a build thread.

Been wondering where you've been hiding.

I'll post my answers to your questions in your build thread.

Too much work, Iím nowhere near organized enough, and my literary skills are way too lacking.... I have enough time keeping motivation with life let alone a build thread! Lol.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-25-2018, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Too much work, Iím nowhere near organized enough, and my literary skills are way too lacking.... I have enough time keeping motivation with life let alone a build thread! Lol.
You knocked up some chick didn't you?

Looks pretty organized to me.

Is that bird shit on that front housing? If so, that's impressive. I'd clear coat it.

Kevin
post #20 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The lq9 is a genIII engine. I assume you have a 4L60/65 for it?

I've never heard that the tach signal is all the JK side needs. Where did you find this info? I don't think that's the case.

If the emulator you're looking at is this one:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...tach-emulator/

I don't think that will work on a JK. It's TJ/XJ.......different.

That said, @KOWBOY has the factory ac/heat unit in his. He's running American Autowire stand alone (hotrod) chassis wiring.

I'm going to use a vintage air system, which is "stand alone" ac/heat. It just uses pressure switches to turn on/off the fan, if the fan isn't already on. I'd bet the factory unit can be run this way. Might be the way Kowboy's works, I'm not sure.

Here's what I got for my chassis wiring:
https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10140

My stand alone engine harness is from PSI. I probably should have called Jon at RPMEtreme first and had him hook me up with a stand alone harness. His harnesses are top notch too.

Actually reread what Jon posted in this here thread. Very good info.

Kevin
post #21 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
That said, @KOWBOY has the factory ac/heat unit in his. He's running American Autowire stand alone (hotrod) chassis wiring.

I'm going to use a vintage air system, which is "stand alone" ac/heat. It just uses pressure switches to turn on/off the fan, if the fan isn't already on. I'd bet the factory unit can be run this way. Might be the way Kowboy's works, I'm not sure.
All correct for me. And my engine harness on the hemi is from Hotwire.

The engine has a mechanical fan and then there's an electric pusher fan on a switch on my dash next to the switch to turn on the A/C. Haven't used the pusher fan yet.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
All correct for me. And my engine harness on the hemi is from Hotwire.

The engine has a mechanical fan and then there's an electric pusher fan on a switch on my dash next to the switch to turn on the A/C. Haven't used the pusher fan yet.

Kowboy, I believe he was referring to the blower motor for heat/ac in the cab, seems youíre talking about the cooking fan for the engine.

Appreciate the input @gt1guy , that is the correct emulator I bought. In the drop down there is a 3.8l jk option. I canít exactly remember where I found the info at, but Iíve seen it multiple places saying Motech and the such originally used a jk crank sensor to send the signal for all the electronics to work. Probably seen it on ls jeeps Page on Facebook. I originally planned on gutting and rewiring the jeep hot rod style, using my iPad as the gauges with a plug in obd2 reader, and using a gps speedometer. It wonít be the end of the world, just would save a lot of work to keep whatís left of the factory shit for the moment. As for the heat/ Ac if I went stand alone, I was hoping to run it old style with a hi/low pressure switch.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Kowboy, I believe he was referring to the blower motor for heat/ac in the cab, seems youíre talking about the cooking fan for the engine.

Appreciate the input @gt1guy , that is the correct emulator I bought. In the drop down there is a 3.8l jk option. I canít exactly remember where I found the info at, but Iíve seen it multiple places saying Motech and the such originally used a jk crank sensor to send the signal for all the electronics to work. Probably seen it on ls jeeps Page on Facebook. I originally planned on gutting and rewiring the jeep hot rod style, using my iPad as the gauges with a plug in obd2 reader, and using a gps speedometer. It wonít be the end of the world, just would save a lot of work to keep whatís left of the factory shit for the moment. As for the heat/ Ac if I went stand alone, I was hoping to run it old style with a hi/low pressure switch.
No, the pressure switches I was talking about, turn on the fan at the radiator to get air flowing through the ac condenser. I think we're all actually talking about the same thing more or less. If the engine isn't hot enough to run the fans, the ac needs a way to turn them on when it needs them.
So Kowboy's factory AC/heat unit IS set up hotrod style, so you can do that too.

Now that you mention it, I do remember Motec saying that's how they used to do it. And that probably was with the genIII engines. They added some kind of crank sensor.

Maybe that's all the Jeep side needs to know that the engine is running, not how it's running, but that it is. I'd hit up Novak and really drill down on what exactly that thing does. Like you said, you'd probably need to run your gauges of the GM OBD port.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode