Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Granite Guru

Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Rock God

This is cool and all but on a JEEP the stock cover it crap and you will peel it off . That is why you upgrade to a better cover. This is on a diesel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
This is cool and all but on a JEEP the stock cover it crap and you will peel it off . That is why you upgrade to a better cover. This is on a diesel.

Completely agree with this statement but very interested to see the outcomes regarding the fluid dynamics of "added" capacity.

Not so critical in low speed crawling situations however for those of us that either daily drive or drive to the trail, could be impactful.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Rock God

It sounds to me like he is going to pitch some new cover at the end . The amount of HP loss he is taking about has to be small in reality.
I can see were the shape might have some Kind of affect on things. Just have to stay tuned lol.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #6 of 17 Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
It sounds to me like he is going to pitch some new cover at the end . The amount of HP loss he is taking about has to be small in reality.
I can see were the shape might have some Kind of affect on things. Just have to stay tuned lol.

Probably. He got the biggest gigantic covers to ever grace this earth. I just put on a G2 aluminum cover. According to this guy it should give me more HP. Same geometry as stock, but aluminum to cool better. Actually, now that I think about it my Jeep feels like a rocket ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #7 of 17 Old 09-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Probably. He got the biggest gigantic covers to ever grace this earth. I just put on a G2 aluminum cover. According to this guy it should give me more HP. Same geometry as stock, but aluminum to cool better. Actually, now that I think about it my Jeep feels like a rocket ship.

An aluminum cover...on a Jeep???

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #8 of 17 Old 09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Yeah yeah. I'm sure I will catch a bunch of shit for it. There is a video online of two redneck shooting the thing with a 44 I believe. Held up to that. I'm sure it's not the same as the momentum of a 2 ton Jeep smacking a rock though.

Talk to Koala-Jeffery Jeep, he's the fucker I got them from. He would know more about them. He beats on his Jeep pretty hard and from the look of the covers, I would believe every word he says. No wheeling trips so far, but construction quality is spot on.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #9 of 17 Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yeah yeah. I'm sure I will catch a bunch of shit for it. There is a video online of two redneck shooting the thing with a 44 I believe. Held up to that. I'm sure it's not the same as the momentum of a 2 ton Jeep smacking a rock though.

Talk to Koala-Jeffery Jeep, he's the fucker I got them from. He would know more about them. He beats on his Jeep pretty hard and from the look of the covers, I would believe every word he says. No wheeling trips so far, but construction quality is spot on.

I have no personal experience with the aluminum ones, just seen a few bad things. JK Gear and Gadgets on YouTube had a video about them.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #10 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you can destroy those G2 aluminum diff covers by offroading your Jeep, @Treader , I will personally buy you new ones.
That is a public disclaimer.

(That does not include shooting them while on a trail with a .50cal or intentionally ramming them against sharp, pointy things , although they wouldnt break like that , either. )

I would still be running those if I did not have to switch to the OX covers.

fwiw, they do cool faster than iron nodule or unobtainium, etc... I have tested...so, yes;you're big-ole JK is a freakin rocket due to the extra HP gained from those diff covers

(edit: I had to look for it but this is a shot of one of my favorite builds . It is by a well known Jeep community member named Chris Durham out of S.Carolina. He has beemn building and wheeling Jeeps way before me. He also wheels harder than all but about 2% of anyone I have ever seen PLUS builds very bad-ass Jeeps. He has run those aluminum diff covers for the past 3 incarnations of his rock rod . The old era aluminum covers (that might have been billet or some other casting method)texpereienced some shddy casting on a particular bunch over a decade ago and that was where the suggestions came from that they could break. Modern , shot-peened, properly cast aluminum covers are nearly indestructible & keep diff fluid cool . 'nuff said -Koala Jeff)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-20-2018 at 08:40 AM.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Rock God

Thanks for the warranty. I'll try not to shoot it with a .50 cal, maybe just a .223 for shits and giggles.

I went and watched that Gear/Gadget episode. Yeah, he didn't like the G2's.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #12 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

If you can destroy those G2 aluminum diff covers by offroading your Jeep, @Treader , I will personally buy you new ones.
That is a public disclaimer.

(That does not include shooting them while on a trail with a .50cal or intentionally ramming them against sharp, pointy things , although they wouldnt break like that , either. )

I would still be running those if I did not have to switch to the OX covers.

fwiw, they do cool faster than iron nodule or unobtainium, etc... I have tested...so, yes;you're big-ole JK is a freakin rocket due to the extra HP gained from those diff covers

(edit: I had to look for it but this is a shot of one of my favorite builds . It is by a well known Jeep community member named Chris Durham out of S.Carolina. He has beemn building and wheeling Jeeps way before me. He also wheels harder than all but about 2% of anyone I have ever seen PLUS builds very bad-ass Jeeps. He has run those aluminum diff covers for the past 3 incarnations of his rock rod . The old era aluminum covers (that might have been billet or some other casting method)texpereienced some shddy casting on a particular bunch over a decade ago and that was where the suggestions came from that they could break. Modern , shot-peened, properly cast aluminum covers are nearly indestructible & keep diff fluid cool . 'nuff said -Koala Jeff)

Lol I can definitely respect that! I've heard so many bad things, and in my mind it makes sense due to the properties of aluminum. But hey, he seems to be having no problems!

post #13 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the warranty. I'll try not to shoot it with a .50 cal, maybe just a .223 for shits and giggles.

I went and watched that Gear/Gadget episode. Yeah, he didn't like the G2's.
Did you install a front or rear G2 cover? I would think that a front aluminum would perform better than a rear due to the fact that the rear is drug over rocks backwards. With all of that said, they do have a major advantage when it comes to gear oil temperature

post #14 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM
Rock God

I will have both front and rear. Installed rear, since I had everything ready to go: oil, lube locker and cover. I am not putting a locker in the rear. I am waiting on the front until I get my Torq locker in. No reason to dump oil twice, once for diff cover install then once again for locker.

In regards to silicone or gaskets, Jeff use some fucking Lube Lockers next time. I hate scraping RTV.

2010 2 door manual sport

Last edited by Treader; 09-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I will have both front and rear. Installed rear, since I had everything ready to go: oil, lube locker and cover. I am not putting a locker in the rear. I am waiting on the front until I get my Torq locker in. No reason to dump oil twice, once for diff cover install then once again for locker.

In regards to silicone or gaskets, Jeff use some fucking Lube Lockers next time. I hate scraping RTV.

heehee
On my currents, I got LubeLockers. Yeah, I had quite a bunch of that 5min gasket RTV on those ...hey; they never leaked! 😋

Oh, I'm glad to hear you're gonna go TORQLOCKER! That thing is gonna be your favorite upgrade ever . Such a kick *ss product. Huge huge difference off-road. Thumbs up,dude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Granite Guru

I'll take my chances with my Ruff Stuff 3/8" fabricated covers.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
I'll take my chances with my Ruff Stuff 3/8" fabricated covers.

I doubt you’ll be taking much to chance at all with those covers! Those things are bombproof.
I saw those new Yukon diff covers the other day ; look stout,as well.
The market is chock full of tons of options these days ; it’s a fine time to be a ring or a pinion...

dahreno likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode