Rear Body Mount Caved, Reinforcement? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rear Body Mount Caved, Reinforcement?

Has anyone reinforced the rear body mounts on the tub itself? During a rear-end structural inspection I noticed that I seem to have caved one in about 1/8 - 1/4". Any good way to make this stronger, or do I just need to send it less violently? I figure I could basically make something like a 3/16 inch plate "body lift" that just distributes the load over a wider area.

Really hard to get a picture of it, but this sort of shows the damage. The drawn line is really only a slight exagguration.

DSC_1577
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

that is pretty interesting; I have never heard of that on the JKU. Musta come down pretty hard offa ledge or somethin; seems that'd still be rattlin around in your jaw or head if you tail-tucked your jeeps booty that hard ...enough to arch the mount.
I see what your speakin about. Either a pull-apart yard, or maybe OMIX-ADA ...Dave'sOffroad has all kinddsa parts like that but it'll cost ya there..

all I see at rockauto is those Energy Suspension polyurathane sets; you could maybe run two of those on each rear-most since they are OEM height , of course. I wouldnt run differnt durometer/brands at opposiong cordners, just cus I am ocd like that but you follow..these things...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I found a couple of mounts like yours, also in the rear, when I installed a body lift. I'll probably just replace them. The only bent mounts on my jeep are the ones just above the rear axle. Those are also the only mounts that are oriented sideways, hmmmm...

Not to change the subject, but my driver side frame bracket (behind front wheel well) was bent pretty good, right where the side skirt portion is notched. I had to bend it back into shape to accept the lift spacer. I probably will weld on some 3/16" or 1/4" steel pieces to reinforce them.

Last edited by rockystock; 09-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I found a couple of mounts like yours, also in the rear, when I installed a body lift. I'll probably just replace them. The only bent mounts on my jeep are the ones just above the rear axle. Those are also the only mounts that are oriented sideways, hmmmm...
Is your tub also caved in where it meets up with the mount? I haven't lifted my tub yet but I'm pretty sure it pushed that in a few millimeters because it doesn't look flat anymore on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
that is pretty interesting; I have never heard of that on the JKU. Musta come down pretty hard offa ledge or somethin; seems that'd still be rattlin around in your jaw or head if you tail-tucked your jeeps booty that hard ...enough to arch the mount.
I'm guessing this happened at the dunes. I bottomed out really hard on a few sharp angle approaches to jumps, enough to rattle off hydraulic fittings, break factory electrical switches, etc. Time to go back and see if I was able to add enough compression damping to keep up!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

No my tub looks straight over all the mounts.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Kinda wonder if the body mounts were specifically designed to bend before the tub and therefore help prevent much more complicated and expensive damage. That would make sense, and would also (if true) make sense not to try to strengthen the mounts...
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2018, 12:17 AM
DJ1
Rock God

On a side note since we're talking about the rear body mount, if anyone is running a full length exhaust but with no exhaust tip (assuming you removed it since you go offroad and/or aren't using an exhaust that dumps before the rear axle), the exhaust fumes will totally eat up the body amount right above it.

Just a heads up...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

in those last two images , I find it odd that the mount surface is arced / bent but the body contact point is straight...almost as if rocking of the cab/body bent the mating surface plate of the mount?
Very strange. I hammer on mine so have made a mental note to check these closer today sometime.

Thatís first Iíve ever heard of the noxious exhaust fumes contributing to mount wear or deterioration, @DJ1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
That’s first I’ve ever heard of the noxious exhaust fumes contributing to mount wear or deterioration, @DJ1 [/COLOR]

It will eat it right up. Didn't happen overnight but probably a good 4 years before I noticed it.

Body mount underneath the tailgate hinges was deteriorated enough that when the cargo area was fully stocked with gear (~250 lbs), the part of my tailgate closer to the hinges dropped low enough that the bottom of the tailgate would slightly make contact with the top of my rear Genright bumper....

I still need to swap it out. Will probably just get new ones all around for the hell of it since the rig is over 100k miles now...
post #10 of 10 Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
It will eat it right up. Didn't happen overnight but probably a good 4 years before I noticed it.

Body mount underneath the tailgate hinges was deteriorated enough that when the cargo area was fully stocked with gear (~250 lbs), the part of my tailgate closer to the hinges dropped low enough that the bottom of the tailgate would slightly make contact with the top of my rear Genright bumper....

I still need to swap it out. Will probably just get new ones all around for the hell of it since the rig is over 100k miles now...
yup. Iíll go over mine now. I have always and annually hit my body mounts with a blast of fluid film beforeceach winter & itís really resulted in the rubber being as elastic & free of cracking as when new but Iíll now check mounts , also since Iíve taken some particularly hard hits comin down off stuff this season . My exhaust dumps towards the ground ar rear axle so not likely gonna exp this deterioration. Great advise/ info!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode