Finally ordered a lift. Teraflex 2.5inch coils and shocks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally ordered a lift. Teraflex 2.5inch coils and shocks

I ordered this kit because I read good reviews, but after I got everything all ordered; I saw everyone TRASHing the teraflex shocks? Saying are worse than stock?

I had bilstein 5100s in my liberty and they were fantastic. Are the TF ones really that bad?

Also; I ordered some beefy lower controls arm drop brackets, and the exhaust spacers. Anything else i would need?? Aside from alignment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Sorry you order the teraflex stuff, not sure where you read good reviews about them but their coils and shocks are not really that great.

anything eld you need will depend on how much actual height you get out of the lift as well as how picky you are about the ride quality. Typically 2.5"+ you would be good to get a front adjustable track bar and rear raised track bar bracket. longer sway bar links as well.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Oh no... that sinking feeling...

Oh well. If it's bad enough I will run it while waiting for a metalcloak, then sell the TF kit on craigslist for a fair price.

Reviews from jeepforum, verified purchases on Amazon (lol) and other places around the web. Oh well; live and learn. I found it online marked down by 800 bucks so I jumped on it. Paid 800 for the kit ( also it does have the track bar relocation bracket, brake line relocators)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Wheeler

My tf 2.5 lift rides great. I do have Rancho shocks though. Got the 5000x for $50 a piece and buy 3 get 1 free. Many people prefer the 9000 adjustables though
post #5 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Granite Guru

I ran that kit when I got my first jk in 2010. The coils paired with their shocks rode stiff. It’s not exactly on top in terms of quality but used to be popular back in the day. There are better choices out there now. It’s cheap that’s why it’s appealing but suspension is not something you want to cheap out on
post #6 of 30 Old 09-03-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I do still have these shock extension brackets, think I will keep the stock shocks and sell the new tf ones unused, and buy bilstein 5100s.

Yes it's true.. ya get what ya pay for right? If you're lucky,

Those metalcloak springs and controls arms are wicked
post #7 of 30 Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Other than ball joints and u joints, does a 2.5 inch lift cause premature wear on other things? Hope the driveshafts can last at least a while.. they are not cheap on these
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

I have been running the Teraflex 2.5" lift for almost 9 years now. Other than the front coils sagging after 3 or 4 years it has been fine for just moderate trails and rock crawling. I added 1" spacers later.
The Teraflex 9550 shocks were fine for me(not too stiff at all IMO). Seems they are near the end after this long though. They seem way too soft now.
I never bought after market drive shafts and have only replaced the original with an almost brand new take-off that I got fairly cheap. The protective cover and clamp broke first first. Then the rubber boot over the Rzeppa joint eventually wore out after that.
All in all, been pretty happy considering what I spent and all the fun I have had with it. Just my experience, I'm certainly no expert...
libordemise likes this.

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMark View Post
I have been running the Teraflex 2.5" lift for almost 9 years now. Other than the front coils sagging after 3 or 4 years it has been fine for just moderate trails and rock crawling. I added 1" spacers later.
The Teraflex 9550 shocks were fine for me(not too stiff at all IMO). Seems they are near the end after this long though. They seem way too soft now.
I never bought after market drive shafts and have only replaced the original with an almost brand new take-off that I got fairly cheap. The protective cover and clamp broke first first. Then the rubber boot over the Rzeppa joint eventually wore out after that.
All in all, been pretty happy considering what I spent and all the fun I have had with it. Just my experience, I'm certainly no expert...
Thanks man!

That's what I needed to hear.. sounds like this may work out after all. I was thinking about maybe just swapping the coils for metal cloak, may do that a few years down the road,
post #10 of 30 Old 09-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Sir, you pulled your pud for like 12 months asking people what they recommend and you STILL bought something else. You need an intervention
j3ff3ry_j33p and FridayGt like this.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Sir, you pulled your pud for like 12 months asking people what they recommend and you STILL bought something else. You need an intervention
Now that I'm finished checking my place for hidden cameras; ya.. it took a long time. I pay 30% markup on everything us duty, shipping, taxes, so a kit that costs Americans 2k costs me 3.5.

And I actually followed the advice of these guys and drove it stock for 15000k.

I'm not against an intervention.. I'm definitely @#$%&d
post #12 of 30 Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

The TF 2.5” kit is excellent, don’t let those guys scare you. Sets up easy and holds up extremely well long term. There are just some Teraflex haters out there that when pressed admit have absolutely no experience with the product. The 9550s ride almost identically to Bilstein 5100s, and have about the same life expectancy. Relax, and stay off Wayalife.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
Now that I'm finished checking my place for hidden cameras; ya.. it took a long time. I pay 30% markup on everything us duty, shipping, taxes, so a kit that costs Americans 2k costs me 3.5.

And I actually followed the advice of these guys and drove it stock for 15000k.

I'm not against an intervention.. I'm definitely @#$%&d
Is it installed yet?
Start a build thread yet?
Less ass for more-ass.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-10-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Figured I'd make this my build thread when all the parts finally get here. Should be this week
post #15 of 30 Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Started doing this lift, definitely got 2.5 inches in the rear, will finish front tomorrow with pics.

Put in rancho drop brackets, rough country adjustable front track bar, teraflex springs with stock shocks and adapters. Pretty stoked, actually!!

Springs are super strong. Rear track bar bracket is nice!

Last edited by libordemise; 09-22-2018 at 05:06 PM.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 06:18 AM
Wheeler

Put that kit on my JK last year and I'm running 35's with stock fenders and having zero clearance problems. I did the Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. You dont need the exhaust extensions but I put the Borla crawler exhaust on mine and it makes servicing the transmission a breeze.
libordemise likes this.
post #17 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
Put that kit on my JK last year and I'm running 35's with stock fenders and having zero clearance problems. I did the Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. You dont need the exhaust extensions but I put the Borla crawler exhaust on mine and it makes servicing the transmission a breeze.
You sure you don't need the exhaust spacers?
sschefer likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Not with the 2.5" it wont hurt but you still have adequate clearance without them. If you decide you want more lift then you will need them.
libordemise likes this.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
You should cycle your suspension and make that determination for yourself.
libordemise likes this.
post #20 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No brake.line extension needed for the front.

Last edited by libordemise; 09-23-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Almost finished install... painful to do with no power... so pissed I brought my tools to work!
post #22 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lift is done, such a pain, hands are beat ta shit.

Thinking; for the amount of work, I could have put in a 3.5 inch hahaha, guess I would have to drop the transfer case and get aftermarket drive shafts, but.. is that all?

Here is finished pic

MicroMark likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What are some good extended brake lines for the front? I know if i disconnect the sway bar the brake lines will RIP out
post #24 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Rock God

no need to drop tc to install driveshaft. also if your jk is 2011 on up your front brake lines are plenty long just need to pry them from the lower brackets.
this is with a 28.5" long shock maxed out and plenty of slack on stock brake hose.
libordemise likes this.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
no need to drop tc to install driveshaft. also if your jk is 2011 on up your front brake lines are plenty long just need to pry them from the lower brackets.
this is with a 28.5" long shock maxed out and plenty of slack on stock brake hose.
Nice! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode