Still cooling issues - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 44 Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I thought I had said this on the forum, the diagnostic computers that get plugged in read between 244 and 250 that is when my gage is at 2/3. So when I say 2/3 it is between 244 and 250. This is when it begins to fall into limp mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 44 Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My jeep is heats up leaving denver I make it half way to genesse 5 miles west and I am on the floor at 35mph. With my temp gage at 2/3 as previously stated is between 244-250 degrees.
With prisus passing me. I said in the begining of this I was not any form of mechanic, never have I claimed to be. I was asking for help, terrible sorry that it is has been painful for you to read about me for the past 5 months having to shuffle vechicles, rides, headaches etc. And the part about the $4,500 into this with absolutely no resolution. Terrible sorry I offended you, I'm sure it must be hard to read about someone else's misfortune.
post #28 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

nope; if you covered those details & i missed them, that is my mistake & I apologize. I thought all of this was based upon the dash temp indicator.

Yeah, that is a little high temp-wise.

What do you have that might be impeding air flow?

If this were occurring to mine & I had gone thru as much as you have (plus the amount of $ already spent) I would hit Harbor Freight or Amazon and get myself a Digital Inspection Camera/Scope to run thru the block and anyplace else...

I do not know if you have one but digital thermal thermometers with laser spots are very affordable. You might benefit from having this so-as to pinpoint the highest temp locations on the block which could give you a better indication of the specific location which is reaching ridiculous temps.

Likewise, you have gone over the areas that are protected from the Cats and exhaust mani that have heat shields and verified none are missing, yeah?

Just providing what I would do. You did not offend anyone. I was out of line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Rock God

Have you tried replacing the ECT? its what tells the computer the coolant temp and operates the radiator fan at the appropriate temps. Could be giving false readings and not a hard failure.

Also have you thought about replacing the radiator fan motor if you haven't already done so?

My JK started to give me abnormally higher coolant temps on my last trip out. i replaced the ECT which only took 2 minutes to do. hardest part was trying to figure out how to unplug the harness.
I also replaced the Radiator fan motor as a preventative maintenance since it sees a lot of dirt and dust.
Everything now seems ok

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 10-01-2018 at 08:44 AM.
post #30 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Granite Guru

There are so many things wrong with this thread. I do remember reading other threads on your problem and I also have made recommendation to you on possible sulutions. So I'm going put in my last two cents on this thread.
First, I've never seen or experienced a jk going into a limp mode with the temp gauge hitting the 2/3 of the way up on the gauge. I have had my temp gauge go that high when pulling a trailer up hills in hi outside temps. The solution to that is to down shift a gear until you crest the hill because there is too much of a load on the engine causing the higher temp.
Second, the fan issue. You have a two speed fan you need to find out if the high speed is working. Checking for a code for this is not the solution. You have two options here. One you take it to a reputable shop and have them use there scan tool to manually turn the high speed fan setting on to see if it's working. Or turn on the a/c on a hot day while parked and put the window down, if you can't hear that fan screaming from the drivers seat the high speed fan isn't working, but maybe working on low speed.
The mixing of the different types of coolant used at this point shouldn't be an issue since it's been drained and filled a couple of times now.
If I was you I would get the number from the guy who offered you a reputable jeep repair shop in your area. ( Sorry to the guy who posted that I forgot you name.)
The problem with going to the dealer is that most of these new mechanics only know how to fix things if there is a code.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #31 of 44 Old 10-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here's something totally random, double check that the serpentine belt has the water pump spinning in the right direction.
post #32 of 44 Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

To clarify, by limp mode I am referring to going up a hill at the base your ar 70half way up your at 40mph with your foot on the floor with your temp gage at 2/3 and it's not possible to manually downshift.
I do have a non contact digital thermometer and I have taken reading etc. It changes and the swings are very dramatic, could be my temp sensor gun is bad.
My cooling fan was a problem I replaced it and can hear it kick on high with no issues. Had temp sensor replaced today, did not have a chance to go up mountain tonight however got my temp gauge to go beyond half and almost hit the 2/3 in 2 miles of 70mph driving around metro. So that's awsome replacing that sensor made problem worse, because that is new.
I came home and tried to burp it again.
Aside from that I never once said anything in regard to who I world or would not use to help with this. Someone offered something and I said I had a plan I was going to try and said someone appearently took offense to that. Which is odd to me considering I have spent literally thousands of dollars to try to fix something based on everyone else's recommendations sorry to this person if I am a bit hasty on what to do at this point being over 4,000 into a problem has a tendency to do that. I have a huge long list of what it isnt, however not a clue what it is. No one ever gave me a name or a number to anyone, I have read a whole list of what not to do and how everyone is a crook and dont fo to the dealer, these things have all been said. Please copy paste where anyone said a name or number and I said no.
Separate question. Why when I watch YouTube on how to burp, I follow everything they do and somehow I always end up with coolant everywhere when thermostat opens, or tonight I was idling in sloped driveway with heater on for 15 me after burping earlier, nothing much was happening fluid was low in funnel so I go around turn off heater, then shut off jeep, turn around and I hear coolant all over the ground over flowing the funnel, I just dont get what I am missing? I have a burping funnel with the plunger but the funnel goes from empty to over flowing in a couple seconds, I wasnt expecting it and it overflowed.
post #33 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i haven't even read past your opening sentance on last reply before having to suggest re-investigating your 2013's automatic transmission shift lever inside the cabin; you have not only the ability to manually shift automatics that do not feature it, but the bump-shift feature offered yours ( '12s and up) permits exactly what you are saying you cannot do; manually downshift.

I am not so fortunate w/ my auto 2011 but for all 90,000 plus miles it has been shifted manually ( N>1>2>D>4[overdrive]...downshifting I disable OD<D<2 ) & the fuzzy-logic learning of the 42RLE has acclimated to this .

So, you can bump-shift ,manually selecting gears all day long.

I wondered if maybe you were not downshifting and the TC wasnt locking-up as much as needed . That can play a role in overheating

I also asked about the fan. The variable speed of the fan is controlled by current limiting or stepped voltage and @Rb6700 is correct in that you need to test that tthe high fan is kicking in via the AC method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Rock God

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 2 door manual sport
post #35 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nucleophile....
So let's look at this. I listened to the first ten people that all made a list of suggestions that did nothing and cost me literally thousands of dollars. Went to everyone and their brothers "the guy" mechanic hince the thousand of dollars spent. Also one of "the guys" is currently a shop foreman for jeep he was $1007 for an oil cooler. I feel like you are butt hurt because I did not jump at the thought of a person who I dont know recommending someone that they say is the greatest thing ever, after I listen to this same thing from the same people how many times? You are very good at jumping down peoples throats that dont do what you say. You could be the only one that's right on this entire page I dont know but your delivery of information sucks. Reread the way you have talked to me throughout this forum and then ask yourself this question.... If the roles were reversed would you listen to me? We both know the answer is "no" something that online forums lack is empathy. I do not mean to come off as brash or harsh, it is frustration, no one is asking you to feel bad but a a bit of empathy goes a long way. I am very good at what I do, I hold two state masters licenses, own a successful small business. However working on cars is not an environment I was raised in, wish it was but it's not that way. So when I have a problem in the past I have people I go too, this however went above them, then I followed their recommendations, then I followed the list of reccomendations I got here all have lead me to where I am now which is the same place I was 5 months ago. Also fyi...I did go to hcp4x4 and talked to them and they said I had done everything they would have done and they could not help me and referred me to a different place.
post #36 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for that. You are answering your own statements ALLOT. My entire point here is that I DID LISTEN TO PEOPLE HERE and it cost me thousands and did nothing. How can I make that more clear?
You then are offended after I listened to the first 10 posters advise that did nothing for me I elected to not listen to yours. What makes your advise better than the first 10? Please tell me sitting in my shoes what makes your advise any different than the first 10 people? NOTHING, you have a fake name on a forum the same as every other person here, what do you not get about that, from my perspective what makes your advise better than anyone elsss? You realize you have typed pages about what I have done wrong about your offer of one line of advise i chose not to follow? This stopped being productive pages ago. I would love to continue to talk with people about ideas, however you hijack the forum to throw a fit about how I didn't listen to your one line of advise. However that advise is now retracted....lolY

ou win, you have a massive penis, a hot wife, millions of dollars, and your the greatest jeep advise giver in the world. I am nothing. I shall always be below you and gravel ar your feet, just your sheer presence is truly a blessing for everyone around.
How's that? Does that satisfy your ego so the topic can move on?
post #37 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

https://youtu.be/k4XEUc8fdRg

The last 3 minutes of this video when this guy burps his he step on the gas and gets bubbles yo come out. I do the exact same things in same order, same funnel, same everything somehow I end up with the funnel almost instantly filling up and overflowing over the top, what am I missing?
post #38 of 44 Old 10-03-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #39 of 44 Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 AM
Rock God

3-Step resolution to your issues.

1) Put an opened bag of Fritos under the drivers seat. Light one of the chips on fire and put it back in the opened bag.

2) Walk away.

3) Call insurance agent.
Treader likes this.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #40 of 44 Old 10-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If I might chime-in ; didn't this get referenced /mentioned about 2 months (& thousands of dollars )ago ? It sure rings a bell...

working-over regulars around here will absolutely blow any chance you have with reputable, knowledgeable folks. I am not identifying any right/wrong or any culpability but only offering you assistance so you might get actual assistance instead of turning yourself into one of the historical jokers that HGDT & get referenced as good-riddence snowflakes. Get on board, thicken your skin and freaking listen to what folks are saying. You are bordering upon being branded a troll at worst or a snowflake, judgemental whiner at best if you continue.

You got folks in here that have Jeep oozing from their pores but you are just venting your frustration in a highly misdirected manner. Nuc offered a helpful sggtn, you weren't interested but you're quick to ID the ten original suggestions as wastes of your money. You're overlooking the fact that the majority of folks you're speaking with do not pay people for this kind of stuff for the very reasons you've wasted so much money .
Taking things to a nasty, emotional , blame-game is only going to get you ostracized and less help. Maybe you'll listen if I RE-EMPHASIZE that you seem to have tried everything else. Maybe it is time to look into the digital scope and or get the engine top end off and check for the sand-cast cylinder heads casting remnants.

Nucleophile is just frustrated by what he considered a shunned suggestion or at least one which , like the cap and the scope and the sand I mentioned in August, you seem to choose to overlook then later ask if that could be the issue .
You truly are either the most millennial millennial I have ever encountered on a forum or you are a troll from LameaLife doing this intentionally.

you're the one that came on here asking for help; jkowners did not reach out and offer to mess with you. Take it for whatever you want to but to wear thin skin here AND not listen will make this great resource less than awesome.

just trying to help. Not thinkin about my massive genitalia, rooms full of gold doubloons nor my wife, Gal Godot when I say that. *

(* that is a term of endearment-implying sarcasm 'because;f-you' winkwink - around here; not an attack on your person, snowflake)
un lupus likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-04-2018 at 05:32 AM.
post #41 of 44 Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Understood.
post #42 of 44 Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Rock God

First off, I have zero dog in this fight. I have the gutless 3.8, but it keeps ticking.

You, meaning @Attaboy , that you don't know us from Adam. Which is 100% correct, but you ask us for our help. So who truly is getting bent out of shape. These guys give great advice, hell I just ask how to wire a 220 plug. I get some shit from them, learn, research and then head into the garage to do the work. Also, spreading your comments/findings/research into different threads doesn't sit right around here. Keep everything into one thread it's easier for everyone to track. This is not just for you, but for the future generation that comes upon the same problem and needs the same help.

I'm going to offer my outside perspective on this. If the video is showing bubbles coming out and yours does not, seems to me there is a stoppage/blockage in the line. It's like trying to force water down a stopped up sewer drain, it's got to come out somewhere. Plumbing is very simple.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #43 of 44 Old 10-04-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you to everyone here for all of the help and insite.
post #44 of 44 Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM

So I am new to this page. And to piggy back on this guys story. I have a 2016 JKU with 85,000ish miles on it. 4.88 re-gear, 35s, bumpers, winch and blah blah blah. Over the last 6 months mine has run hotter and hotter I live in PHoenix and travel up to the high country at least 2 to 3 times a month. It use to never leave 210 no I cruise between 217 and 222 and when I stop it goes up to 228 or more then comes back down, got this of the EVIC and the flash pack programmer. I have replaced the fluid, bleed the air out, pulled the radiator and power washed, and checked the hoses to make sure they are not collapsing, changed thermostat, pulled the fender liners. Still the issue seems to get worse. But I have new symptom that my fan that use to run non stop now hardly runs at all. Even with the AC it seems not as loud. Compared to back when I bought it, it sounded like a plane getting ready for take off.

Any suggestions on possibly aftermarket fan for the JK as google was of little use. I have not read all the comments on this post sorry but it's a long read and I have shit for free time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode