jkT - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

jkT

Starting on a JK pickup build, Ive been wanting one since the Gladiator concept showed up in '05.
Picked up a rear ended '16 2 door Willy's from a copart sale.

Talked to Matt at Gr8tops and he made a one off recruite top, with no freedom panels (about 3" shorter than the standard recruite top)
Attached Images

pvanweelden likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This past weekend I yanked the body off. I intend to stretch the wheelbase to around 122", cut the body off at the back of the recruite top and build a flatbed. Progress will probably be slow, but I wanted to share
Attached Images

geberhard and pvanweelden like this.
post #3 of 51 Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hell yes. Can't wait to see this pan out. Keep the thread updated.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Heck-yeah!

Sub'ed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 51 Old 08-29-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Everything is stripped. Ready for the cut. Might be a few days before it happens

I'm going to remove the tube joining the front and rear frame, it measures 2.5"x5.25" 0.188 wall. Thinking about replacing it with stacked 2.5" square touching the top and bottom (1/4" gap between) plating both sides.

Ran by the local auto recycler today, they are getting me a '05-'06 TJ tank for behind the axle. Should make plumbing the fuel filler significantly easier and salvage some of the break over angle.

Pulled the pinion flange and transfer case output flange, dropped them at the local NAPA. Hopefully they can find a set of 1310 yokes to install, if not I can always order the teraflex yokes.
Attached Images

post #6 of 51 Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Is that a hot water power washer I spot in the one pic? Jealous af if so.
post #7 of 51 Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Awesome build idea. The flatbed will be easier, but sides would be nice too. Keep this thread update.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #8 of 51 Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Raining to much to pack silage today.

Yes, that is a hot water pressure washer. It adds 180°f, cleans grease and oil off nicely and will strip paint on accident.

Building a pick up bed wouldn't be all that difficult, buy 2 left and 2 right corners and build some stuff in the middle or get a fiberglass jeep trailer bed or order a pretty aluminum one from aqualu.

Hacked and sitting about finished length, adding 26"

Also my daily driver pickups, '90 MJ and '14 ram. This JK is going to replace the MJ.
Attached Images

post #9 of 51 Old 08-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm curious to see which blue jeep build gets finished first.

2009 JKU
post #10 of 51 Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Square, level and tacked.

Figured about where to move the crossmembers and about how much to extend the tail. EVAP can will go to the right side, TJ fuel tank behind the axle, muffler and turndown on the left, probably airbags and a small compressor by the EVAP. Doubt I carry a spare tire unless traveling.
Dreaming about the flatbed and clearances.

Looks like a 6.5' flatbed will approximately hang 13" past the end of a stock JK frame. Not a terrible overhang. Planning to make the bed as low as possible and clear the tires at full stuff.

Driveshaft will be close to 49" yoke to yoke. still looking for e-brake cables, wheelbase is 6" over a JKU.
Attached Images

pvanweelden likes this.
post #11 of 51 Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
I'm curious to see which blue jeep build gets finished first.
Pretty good possibly this one won't be hydro blue by the time it's finished. I like sting gray, tank gray, and nardo gray, but can't make a decision.

When I was JK shopping on copart, this one checked every box on my list except the color. 3.73 posi, 3.6, 5 speed auto, reasonably close to home, rear ended, late model, stock unmolested, lower miles (16,521 when I bought it)
post #12 of 51 Old 09-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

There is a company that builds adventure trailers in Fruita, CO that sells a DIY knock down kit for a bed for a good price. It would make a really nice bed for this project. He also makes nice lids for the trailers/beds. Anchor Mountain Overland is the name.

Jeremy
2015 2 door, Mopar 2", Cooper ST Maxx 315/70's
post #13 of 51 Old 09-03-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Moved the crossmember to it's old home, behind the transfer case, plated the sides of the center section and put the body mount back to where it was. Still waiting on the TJ tank, should get a driveshaft ordered tomorrow, 49.5" center to center
Attached Images

post #14 of 51 Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthood View Post
Progress will probably be slow, but I wanted to share
Damn, you're kicking butt. Looks good.

2009 JKU
post #15 of 51 Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Added a crossmember, similar to a JKU, just a couple inches farther apart. Just clamped in till the body is refitted, bed dimensions are finalized (I'm wanting a full width toolbox under the bed that slides out and concerned with clearances. Like this [http://happijac.com/2011-08-15-13-57-44.html )
Did some approximation on the TJ fuel tank swap, have to make mounts behind the antisway bar and move the rear crossmember back a few inches (and flip it upside down)
Pretty sure it's going to get 15" added behind the axle and then cut down to final length later
Attached Images

Last edited by shorthood; 09-05-2018 at 07:53 PM.
post #16 of 51 Old 09-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Rock God

heck yeah!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 51 Old 09-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Killer build!
The old fart likes this.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #18 of 51 Old 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This felt amazing.
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p and pvanweelden like this.
post #19 of 51 Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Stopped by Axleboy in O'Fallon MO, they had a scrap bin with stock coils, picked up some 17AC fronts and 59AA rears. Not the set I was dreaming of, but definitely heavier than what I have (14ac &56aa). My boy (JT) was loves playing with Jeep parts.

Cut the body off long and set it on the frame for some approximation. The masking tape is where the body should end.

Kind of figuring.... Leave 2" between bed and cab, add 14" on back of frame. End up 45" from center of axle to rear of bed (same as a long bed MJ with no bumper and shorter than my 3/4 ton ram)
box behind the axle might be 24" long x 12" tall x 12" deep.
box in front of the axle could extend into the original Jeep fenderwell
As it sits right now, the bed floor will be 6.5" above rear tires and level with the bottom of the hood.
Attached Images

post #20 of 51 Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Friend just pointed out that I'm living the dream. Just sitting around the shop making my "Willy's" longer
post #21 of 51 Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Frame extensions are in place, driveshaft arrived, made a few reference marks, pulled body and springs to check crossmember clearances
Attached Images

post #22 of 51 Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Starting on a JK pickup build, Ive been wanting one since the Gladiator concept showed up in '05.

Talked to Matt at Gr8tops and he made a one off recruite top, with no freedom panels (about 3" shorter than the standard recruite top)

would it be rude to ask for a ballpark $ amount was for that one-off top that Gr8tops made for your JKT? I'm just curious & planning some stuffs ....
'preciate-it

post #23 of 51 Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

great build! kinda sad to think you going through all this and you aren't redo'ing the suspension but i get that is not the goal. stay at it!

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #24 of 51 Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Quote:

would it be rude to ask for a ballpark $ amount was for that one-off top that Gr8tops made for your JKT? I'm just curious & planning some stuffs ....
'preciate-it

<a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/jeep2.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Jeep2" >:-)</a>
The top was a recruite 4door with tinted slider, $2175+labor to modify+shipping. He shot me a number on the modification and it ended up being more work than originally planned.
Gr8tops is looking to make the top as a standard model, down the road. Matt called me today, checking on my build.

Few pictures from the roof construction
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #25 of 51 Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearyous View Post
great build! kinda sad to think you going through all this and you aren't redo'ing the suspension but i get that is not the goal. stay at it!
I swapped in 17ac on the front, 59aa rear springs and it has the factory "red" shocks, does that count?

I understand what you are saying, it would look sweet on 37s.
I can get pretty much everywhere I need in a long bed MJ on 30s with no lift and lots of momentum. Trying to keep this thing agile, quick, light, and easy to get in and out. Trying to bulldog a sick calf from something tall isn't fun nor is getting in and out a bunch of times for gates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode