Just another 4 door Rubicon - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mason

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Just another 4 door Rubicon

Howdy yíall, here is my build thread. 4 years later. Here it is the day I bought it. Wasnít a fan of the gay ass Chrome, so that came out on day one.

Next was a snorkel I bought from forum member Matti and since I like to party I did some stupid shit

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

Well then... that escalated quickly 🤣

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

So that previous picture is what caused the transmission to go out at 40,000km. It was covered by warranty, but lesson learned. No more mud and water. Kinda hard since I lived in Saskatchewan at the time, and that is all that they have out there.

That winter I scored a deal on a set of 4 KM2s in rims from a local guy in Saskatoon, and Matti decided to do coilovers and long arms so I got his 4Ē lift from him.

I also ordered a set of Crawler Conceptz Ultra flares, an Ultra front bumper, an Off-Road Heroes fastback soft top, and a Warn Zeon Platinum 12 winch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

In that time period I moved from Saskatchewan back home to Onterrible (Ontario) and I wheeled it like that for a season. One day in the fall I was doing some maintenance and noticed a dent in my oil pan and decided I needed new skid plates before spring, so I got a set of D3 Offroad skidplates and wheeled it for another season.

This is the only picture I have of the D3 skid system. This is after one year of wheeling. They are stout as fuck.

At this point I had had the Jeep for 3 wheeling seasons (1 stock in Sask, 2 lifted in onterrible) and I figgured that I might as well add some beef to the axles, since I like to party.

I bought the TMR trusses, C gussets and D44 diff cover, and burned them all in with the help of Matti. He is a decent guy in person, but a jackass on the Internet.

rockystock likes this.

post #5 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

In the fall of 2016 during Canadian thanksgiving I blew up my 2nd stock front driveshaft and decided to get a real shaft. While the Jeep was parked for the winter I got a local driveline shop to make my up a new double Cardin front drive shaft. No pictures of the shaft, but how exciting is a drive shaft to look at anyway?

In the spring I decided to upgrade my steering from the factory junk. Enter the TMR 7/8 heim joint steering kit. It came with 4 7/8 heim joints, 2LHT 2RHT a some safety washers, and misalignment spacers for the drag link set of joints. I also picked up a PSC ram and drilled and tapped my steering box for 3/8 pipe thread, and since I was a parts guy at a John Deere dealer at the time I made my own hydraulic hoses at work. While I was at it I flipped the drag link and welded on the TMR raised draglink bracket.

post #6 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Last spring I also did the trailer queen mod. I bought a brand new PJ B5 buggy hauler trailer. 18+2, 102 wide, 5k axles and it came with stabilizer jacks on the back corners so it is possible to load it with it unhooked from the truck.

Since none of us can leave anything stock, I had to fuck with the trailer a bit. I added a toolbox, but built a rack holding it level with the deck, so I can put a winch inside of it. I got a Warn VR 12k gen 2.

I replaced the breakaway battery with a car battery and added some back up lights to it as well.

Now I was ready to party hard, and know that I will make it home.

Last edited by Mason; 08-24-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Now it was time time to party. I have a buddy that has a rock bouncer, so we went wheeling and I ended up catching a door hinge on a rock and destroyed a door.

Lesson learned. Take the doors off while wheeling. I went up to Morningwood Offroad park in Sault St Marie Canada, and went wheeling with a bunch of buggys and rock bouncers.

There was great rock crawling, but the ruts between all the rocks had been dug out by 40Ē+ tires for so many years that I had to pull winch cable more in that weekend, than I ever have before, or since. I would love to go back, with something on 40s or 42s. Here is a picture of my truck trailer and the Jeep that I meant to post in my last post.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Last winter didnít see much for upgrades, just maintenance and repairs. One point last fall I had forgot to torque one wheel when I had it off for some reason or an other and it came off in traffic. Luckily it didnít hit any other vehicles and I made it to the shoulder safely. Good thing Matti lived close by and wasnít busy. He came with a jack and sockets and saved my ass.

I added a set of outer axle seals so dirt and shit wouldnít get in the tubes and eat up the inner seals. I mostly drove it around the farm with the doors off because life is a party.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

This summer hasnít seen much wheeling. Iíve only been out twice because of other people cancelling plans and shit. So I took a girl I knew from college that likes jeeps out wheeling on a fairly easy trail. One Iíve done 10+ times over the last several years. We pick up a couple of guys at the trail head that had never run it before so they tagged along. We get to the one fun actual climb on the trail that is an optional obstacle right before a campsite and I go up, and cut the passenger front tire, crack the driver front rim, and bend the fuck out of my tie rod. So I winched to the top and since I donít have a spare I made some calls and had a buddy on the road bringing a 3rd guys spare tire with in 10 minutes, however it took him 2.5-3 hours to get to me. We jack up the Jeep and change the tire, no big deal. I roll forward and cut the borrowed tire on a stump. At this point shit got real. A bunch of other guys showed up and put about 30 plugs in the second cut tire sine it had the smaller hole. We use my buddyís winch to get my tie rod close to straight and head out. By the time I got to the end of the trail I had both front tires running on rims where my rock bouncer buddy was waiting with his truck and open car trailer since my truck and trailer were at home that day.

I ended up taking 12 hours to run a 3 hour trail, and destroyed 3 tires and one rim.

I ended up getting 3 bald 37s from a buddy (I was planning on getting KM3s when they release the 37s this fall so not upsets that I have bald tires till then) and had a spare stock jk rim kicking around. I used the winch on my trailer to get my tie rod straight and did a tape measure alignment on it to get it dialed back in. So far I havenít spent a cent to fix my Jeep from that day.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

One thing I have done on the Jeep this summer is I built a tramp stamp / license plate mount with a CB antenna mount on my tailgate. I had most of a sheet of steel kicking around so I traced the tire carrier onto it. Made some cuts, a few bends, drilled the holes, and welded on a piece of angle for the antenna mount. I got the idea from the motobuilt one, but I added a CB mount, and the metal was already paid for. Now I just need a plate light and 3rd brake light. What do people suggest?

post #11 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Granite Guru

It’s fun to look back and see the progress and fun adventures from over the years. A build thread is the best place to document it all even for yourself. Cool pictures and stories man keep them coming.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
post #12 of 18 Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Iím all caught up on it now so more as they happen from now on.

post #13 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are we going to need an intervention as to when door should be on or off?

Strike one.

Strike two.

Only get one more strike.

Kevin
post #14 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

It because life is a party, you didn't get that ?
post #15 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 02:24 PM
Rock God

That is one beat to shit wrangler. It was fun though.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well Iím not going to post the video of being in the rain the other week then. The doors should always be off right?

post #17 of 18 Old 08-26-2018, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Well Iím not going to post the video of being in the rain the other week then. The doors should always be off right?
Please share with the group.

Kevin
post #18 of 18 Old 08-31-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Please share with the group.
If you insist. Here is strike 3. Iím ready for that intervention. When and where do I have to show up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode