37x13.5x17 tires, wheels, and lift for JK Unlimited - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-18-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

37x13.5x17 tires, wheels, and lift for JK Unlimited

First post so may as well go for broke, I've tried to read almost 300 pages of the lift sticky but it's tough sledding and I find the search function doesn't work, keep getting errors, so I'm posting a new thread like the noob I am. The last Jeep I owned, back when dinosaurs walked the earth, had a 304 and leaf springs so what I know from then means squat now! My 2018 JK Unlimited is two days off the stealership lot and has 118 miles on it...

I've got a line on some very lightly used 17x13.5x17 Toyo Open Countrys on cheapo Pacer 166SB wheels (-6 offset and 4.51 backspace). They come with a JKS trackbar and pitman arm plus 4.5" Zone springs. I'm told that they came off a JK at the end of its lease...

The seller says there can be contact in the front of the rear wheelwell at times. He was running stock control arms. He thinks this is due to the 4.5" springs from earlier more aggressive tires he was trying to clear moving rear axle up but a set of 3.5" springs will work fine with the Toyo tire/rim combo. Of course, the seller wants to sell this collection of parts and is motivated to paint a pretty picture...

Would 3.5" springs work with 37s? Would adjustable front lower control arms be sensible? Is this just crazy for a JK that spends most of the time on the street? I'm in a flatland area so mud is more of what is here, no rocks and mountains... What am I missing in my noob excitement? What say you!?

Thank you for your patience with the noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Wheeler

If it were me I’d search a bit more. There’s a google search option for the site.... try “what it takes to run 37”.

Enjoy driving your Jeep stock for a while, think about what you’re looking to achieve, research research research, then buy parts.

(The general consensus is to stay away from a drop pitman arm for a JK)

Welcome to JKO, stop by the welcome room and introduce yourself and your Jeep.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Id probably shy away from this deal. You will still need a bunch of components to make up the suspension and new drive shafts.

That tire is heavy as is and considering he has the 13.5 instead of 12.5, its going to be heavier and has a heavier load rating which means it will be a stiffer tire. It just feels like this guy hastily ordered the wrong things and is trying to unload it.

But to answer your question, you can run a 37x12.5 with 3.75" BS on 2.5" of lift with some fair amount of trimming and cut flares. Adjust accordingly from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 AM
Rock God

Agree with others, don't buy those tires. They are good for an F350 lifted to the sky, not much else. You should really never buy load range E tires for a Jeep, C is preferred and D is ok but still getting a bit stiff to be ideal. The Toyo MT line is ridiculously heavy and stiff, you could let all the air out of them and they'd probably still be too stiff for good trail use.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I agree with these guys. You would more than likely have quite a bit of rubbing with this set up also. For future searches try using google and typing "jkowners.com: ------". (------) being your question. The search feature on this site is awful. As stated above you will need more than just some springs, shocks, and wheels to make a 4.5 inch lift work without issues. I'm running 37's X 12.5 with 2.5 inch lift and 3.5 inch bs wheels. The closer you can keep it to stock usually the fewer issues you'll have, esp if you dont plan on doing some extreme off-roading. Lots of posts about 37's and whats needed... good luck.

You can have a savings account or a Jeep.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

I would pass on that deal as well. Zone is junk and their kits typically are missing a lot of parts for the amount of lift they give you. You typically replace ever link under the jeep to properly run 37's on a 3.5"+ lift height. You want wheel bs of 3.5 or less for a 37x13.5" tire. Lots of ways to run 37's but it generally cost you more in the end when you start out with the cheap lifts and improper wheel back spacing. Agree with not putting E rated tires on a jeep as well. They belong on ton trucks towing heavy loads not on a trailed vehicle.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Hi TS,

Short Answer: It will work.

Long Answer: As far as I remembered I saw like 2 or 3 with the same set up that you are describing. As per my observation it is limited to run in a flat smooth surface (usually streets) my issue with the said set up is a limited cargo capacity. I'm not solve with it as the car's character is more like a off roader / utility.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode