Cooling questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cooling questions

2013 rubicon jku

Can I install a lower temp thermostat? If so how low can it be?

Who runs aftermarket cooling fans, cfm, any successes or barely noticeable?

I have a flash paq anyone know if I can turn on fan ar lower temps? I have read I can and cannot?

I'm trying to get my temps down, I have new radiator, water pump, impeller, I bought a poision spider hood vent just need a few hours free to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Granite Guru

The thermostat that you have now is what your engine requires. The factory fan is all you need. The hood vent will do wonders for under the hood temps.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have seen several post about thermostats, wondering if anyone has tried different fan set ups. I am having issues with heat so im looking for ideas on correcting it. Not be assured I have no problem. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2018, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: Cooling questions

First few things I added to my 2011 Unlimited were 14" Hood Louvers ( Synergy Mfg makes them no longer but they are identicle to the 14" louvered hood vents which GenRight Offroad offers) , I went with the stock step-down connector for the fan but got a UPI Aluminum shroud and a SPAL 18" 2740 CFM waterproof fan in it and yes, I use the Flashpaq from Superchips to fine tune the cooling temp cut-ons for the fan ; 186-196 & 206 F are the temp settings I use.

The other big cooling factor is if you're running an auto tranny; heat is the slayer of the automatic slushbox transmission. Because of this , adding an auxiliary transmission cooler - to accompany the one already in the Jeep from the factory - is important for transmission longevity. I added a plate style B&M cooler which far exceeds the GVW capacity of my Jeep. The transmission temp stays around 165-185 with 187 being the hottest it ever has gotten.

This data is all on this forum.

So, while you certainly can run a lower temp thermostat to "trick" the cooling fan to be triggered at a lower temp, that is no longer the way we do things ,as it was with the old inline 6 and other engines. Running the proper thermostat is going to be optimal as far as the Jeep computer expectations are concerned & cooling in manner[s] as mentioned above will be to your advantage.

I hope that helps you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2018, 07:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

The trail dash and others will allow you to adjust the fan speed, I set mine to go into hi when it hit 200*, never have had any temp issues runing trails in 100*+ temps with the AC on. Get a plate style trans cooler, I used one from a F350 it worked great and never gets above 220* crawling.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode