Front end coil over conversion questions. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-11-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Front end coil over conversion questions.

I'm bored again with my jeep and really I just want to put more parts on it for the sake of working on it again. No other reason, mainly a huge just because and if I can improve the ride quality that would be nice too. So I have been looking at coil over conversions for the front end (rear end later). I see 2 kinds, bolt on and weld on. I DO NOT want a bolt on kit. They look like shit and I am sure are a joke as well. The 2 that look decent to me are the EVO and the rebel offroad kits. I see that on the evo kit the shocks / coilovers not staying parallel the entire length really bothers some of yall but I am not sure if that hurts anything. The rebel kit seems to be lacking travel but keeps the components parallel with each other. Are there any other brands out there worth looking at or things I should be looking for? Long arms would be nice to add right about now as well I would think if I was ever going to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Wheeler

Any time you buy a weld/bolt on "kit", they will compromise something. If you are picky you may want to look into laying out something yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Buy brackets from a fab shop and do your own. Most kits run too long a travel shock on too low a lift height. You can do way better then the kits offer for less money.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I would like to just buy brackets and pick my own components.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Lift height, tire size, travel desired, up/down ratio, type of ride, size of shock, coil over bypass combo?

Do you like your current ride height and travel?

From what I have seen the kits out there run too long a travel shock and too low a lift height to work properly. People tend to run too big a tire as well without doing extra trimming to gain the needed up travel the bypass/coil over require.

Some build info here:

post #6 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Lift height, tire size, travel desired, up/down ratio, type of ride, size of shock, coil over bypass combo?

Do you like your current ride height and travel?

From what I have seen the kits out there run too long a travel shock and too low a lift height to work properly. People tend to run too big a tire as well without doing extra trimming to gain the needed up travel the bypass/coil over require.
I do like my current ride height, I'm already on a 40, run high clearance fenders, have trimmed some in the front end, pushed the axle forward a bit, adjusted steering stops for no rub, and will adjust bump stops as needed to limit up travel. I believe I am around 4" of lift height as of right now and I do like that a lot. I am one of the types that wants this to be as functional as possible but don't really plan on pushing it to its limits. So if there is a disconnect at some point where comfort will have to take a huge nose dive for functionality I will choose comfort.

I do not want to fab up brackets, I wish there were some good ones off the shelf that would allow the double setup like the 2 I mentioned. I would probably just buy the evo brackets but I am not sure they sell them in a stand alone type of setup.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Since you have your rig set up with clearance and lift height measure your shock mounts so you can choose the right shocks. Most towers I have installed add around 1" over factory in terms of how high the mount is. Bypass shocks should be run close to 50/50 up/down travel so they work right. If anything you would want more up travel then down for the bypass shocks. With you listed specs I would guess you would be in the 10" total travel zone for bypass shocks. This is where most kits fail in their design, they run a 12" or 14" travel bypass with only 3-4" of actual up travel meaning you hit the bump zone (stiff compression) with only 1"-2" of up travel and the shocks will bottom out quickly. For comfort you will want to have as much travel in the ride zone as you can get to soak up those small bumps and give the shocks time and travel to work for those big hits.

IF EVO sold the bracket kits they would run like $700 and you should be able to find a fab shop to make them for much less as they really are not that hard to build. Ballistic fab has a nice bottom of the axle shock mount that will maximize the available travel you have. Mounting to the bottom of the axle does mean you have too look close at clearances and fully flex the set up out to make sure the larger bodies on the coil overs, bypass tubes clear the axle tubes and inner C's

You could also just do away with the bypass shocks and run an internal bypass coil over with compression adjusters. This would be a cheaper easier route to go and unless you are jumping your jeep or blasting thu the bumps at 60 mph you likely don't need the rebound adjustment the bypass shocks give you. Feel free to reach out to me with your number if you want to discuss your set up.
Texas_Jester likes this.

Some build info here:

post #8 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think EVO is the only company making a coilover/bypass bracket. I've never seen anyone else offering one. Like thedirtman said, when I checked years ago, EVO wanted stupid money for just the bracket. You could buy a whole 5x8 sheet of plate for the price.

For coilover only, Barnes makes a nice bracket..............$139.00. I believe they are about the tallest too. So you have the extra material and can trim to fit.

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Frame-Shoc...ir-_p_306.html

Kevin
post #9 of 25 Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!

RK has one too. I installed one of their rock runner kits that came with front coil overs and bypasses. The EVO tower fits better but both required grinding and removal of quite a bit of the plastic supports that hold the fuse panel.

Some build info here:

post #10 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
RK has one too. I installed one of their rock runner kits that came with front coil overs and bypasses. The EVO tower fits better but both required grinding and removal of quite a bit of the plastic supports that hold the fuse panel.
That's right, I remember now, you did a write up on the whole deal.

Kevin
post #11 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 10:45 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
I'm bored again with my jeep and really I just want to put more parts on it for the sake of working on it again. No other reason, mainly a huge just because and if I can improve the ride quality that would be nice too. So I have been looking at coil over conversions for the front end (rear end later). I see 2 kinds, bolt on and weld on. I DO NOT want a bolt on kit. They look like shit and I am sure are a joke as well. The 2 that look decent to me are the EVO and the rebel offroad kits. I see that on the evo kit the shocks / coilovers not staying parallel the entire length really bothers some of yall but I am not sure if that hurts anything. The rebel kit seems to be lacking travel but keeps the components parallel with each other. Are there any other brands out there worth looking at or things I should be looking for? Long arms would be nice to add right about now as well I would think if I was ever going to do it.

Have you looked into our DSS KIT? You'd get 2.5x12" King Coilovers with Remote Reservoirs AND 2.5x12" King 3-Tube Bypass Shocks w/ Piggyback Reservoirs. It meets your weld-on system requirements and looks pretty mean.

You can check it out HERE.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, or, shoot an email to [email protected] and a salesman will get back to you within an hour (They can better help you spec your kit).

-Kyle @REBELOFFROAD loffroad
Attached Images

post #12 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
Have you looked into our DSS KIT? You'd get 2.5x12" King Coilovers with Remote Reservoirs AND 2.5x12" King 3-Tube Bypass Shocks w/ Piggyback Reservoirs. It meets your weld-on system requirements and looks pretty mean.

You can check it out HERE.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, or, shoot an email to [email protected] and a salesman will get back to you within an hour (They can better help you spec your kit).

-Kyle @REBELOFFROAD loffroad
Yes I have been eyeballing your kit as well. I will call this afternoon.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM
JKO Addict!

I agree that kit is built for looks. Limited up travel at low lift heights. Runs $1000 bypass shocks that basically run on the bump zone.

Some build info here:

post #14 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 02:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Yes I have been eyeballing your kit as well. I will call this afternoon.
We look forward to hearing from ya!
post #15 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Rock God

4k for some coils and shocks and a bracket, just sounds crazy to me. I can score a 950 on the RTI ramp with my Synergy set up and it drives better than most cars.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #16 of 25 Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
4k for some coils and shocks and a bracket, just sounds crazy to me. I can score a 950 on the RTI ramp with my Synergy set up and it drives better than most cars.

Wonder what it gets on my BFHIDIMBYI*

*Big F'n Hole I Dug In My Back Yard Index
tapcola likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Oh it's out there I agree. I'm looking at all options right now.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 06:02 AM
Granite Guru

Have you talked to Adam over at Tribe 4x4? His weld on brackets are super clean oob and if you want something a little different all you have to do is ask.
post #19 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

You're definitely paying for the shocks / coilovers. There is maybe $500 in brackets in any of the kits once you factor out the price of the hardware.

I priced out some coilovers / bypass shocks yesterday that were 5k for just the front. I had no clue how high components like this could run. Apparently its as far as your wallet will allow.

Just think how cool you're gonna look at the next gtg tho.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Have you talked to Adam over at Tribe 4x4? His weld on brackets are super clean oob and if you want something a little different all you have to do is ask.
Those guys are in my backyard. I'll give em a shout.
post #21 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

You should be able to pick up 2.5 coil overs, 2.5" 3 tube bypasses and 2" bumpstops for around $3500. You could do 2.0 size and make it easier to fit for under $3200. A 2.5" internal bypass with compression adjustment and finned res are $2500 a pair. I run my front shocks and bypasses off a tube hoop. The mounts are not that hard to fab up.
Dkjeep likes this.

Some build info here:

post #22 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
You should be able to pick up 2.5 coil overs, 2.5" 3 tube bypasses and 2" bumpstops for around $3500. You could do 2.0 size and make it easier to fit for under $3200. A 2.5" internal bypass with compression adjustment and finned res are $2500 a pair. I run my front shocks and bypasses off a tube hoop. The mounts are not that hard to fab up.
This is pretty much what I am seeing as well.

I'm not opposed to having someone fab them up. I just wonder about the geometry and how much the angles they are mounted at really matter. It appears they are mounted both leaning back and inwards.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
This is pretty much what I am seeing as well.

I'm not opposed to having someone fab them up. I just wonder about the geometry and how much the angles they are mounted at really matter. It appears they are mounted both leaning back and inwards.
Being a few degrees off the direction of travel isn't going to make much difference. It's when you get way off, like you see in the rear on many kits, that you run into problems. Below 1:1 motion ratio, you need a higher rate spring just to hold the weight up and the shocks have a tough time because they're moving less than the travel.
Ideally, the bottom mount travels in a straight line directly towards the top mount. This puts the weight that the springs are holding directly inline with the direction of travel.

Give Ryan @TRD a call. He sells King and Fox and really knows his shit.

Kevin
post #24 of 25 Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are mounting 2.5" shocks throw geometry out the window because you are going to be mounting them due to clearance. IF you are running factory width front axle I would not even bother. Shock geometry is really not a big issue but having the upper mount inside the lower by 5-15 degrees will help on side to side stability but on the factory axle you may have frame clearance issues.

Some build info here:

post #25 of 25 Old 08-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
If you are mounting 2.5" shocks throw geometry out the window because you are going to be mounting them due to clearance. IF you are running factory width front axle I would not even bother. Shock geometry is really not a big issue but having the upper mount inside the lower by 5-15 degrees will help on side to side stability but on the factory axle you may have frame clearance issues.
I can attest to this. Before getting my Fox 2.5" bypass shocks, Dynatrac told me the PR44U has lower shock mounts welded slightly further outboard than the OEM axle housing specifically to address potential interference between the frame and wider shock bodies. After installing everything I found it still wasn't enough and had to buy RC upper shock relocation brackets to maintain gap during droop.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk...-kit-1020.html

Hoping they hold up despite the mixed reviews as they seem to be the only company making a front shock upper relocation bracket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode