Set up question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Set up question

Hey all...

I have a '17 JKUR and for a variety of reasons, I'm starting with a 1.5" RK lift. The lift includes:
- coils
- all four LCAs
- front track bar
- extended brake lines
- rear TB bracket
- Bilstein 5100s
- I'm also putting on 34s (285/75/17) with 4.5" BS wheels with OEM fenders.

When I retire I will likely upgrade to the RK x-factor. Figure, if it won't hurt, I'd just wait and install all eight control arms when that time comes. I'm not doing any hardcore wheeling here, and NONE in winter. Any reason I should be concerned about running everything above EXCEPT the control arms?

Thoughts?

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2018, 06:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I am sure others will chime in, but why not just install a spacer kit and maybe shocks and be done. With such a small amount of lift, you don't need extended brake lines or a new track bar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

thats sorta correct thinking @jk_southwest
except OP is looking at new lower , adj control arms plus that rear TB bracket will get the roll center correct. But, here the extended brake line adapters permit the suspension downtravel that’s gonna be afforded from the coilsprings thatvhave significant travel over factory ones. So, not a bad idea.

OP: you did mean brackets for extending the brake lines were included, right ? Not actual replacement brake lines, correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

I would run flat fenders and maybe 3/4-1" coil spacer spacer 1" of bump stop. The less you do to the suspension the better off you will be. The RK stuff rusts pretty easy as well as the 5100 shocks in your part of the country if you plan on driving on the roads in the winter. By the time you retire you will likely be looking at doing something complete different.

running the lower is up to you, by installing them you can gain some caster and correct the pinion angle if you need to. At the 2" realistic height you would be at is really a personal preference.

IF you are really thinking you want a kit with a full set of arms in the future I would go with Metal Cloak all day long for a better ride and better corrosion resistance. Any kit is upgradeable and metal cloak does the same as rk selling simple kits that can be added to over time if you wish.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
Hey all...

I have a '17 JKUR and for a variety of reasons, I'm starting with a 1.5" RK lift. The lift includes:
- coils
- all four LCAs
- front track bar
- extended brake lines
- rear TB bracket
- Bilstein 5100s
- I'm also putting on 34s (285/75/17) with 4.5" BS wheels with OEM fenders.

When I retire I will likely upgrade to the RK x-factor. Figure, if it won't hurt, I'd just wait and install all eight control arms when that time comes. I'm not doing any hardcore wheeling here, and NONE in winter. Any reason I should be concerned about running everything above EXCEPT the control arms?

Thoughts?
I ran that exact lift and tire size for a while on my 14 jkur and it rode better than it did stock with spacers which I did first. Skip the extended brake lines as your stock brake lines are as long as the extended ones, just remove the front lines from the brackets and use either zip ties or teraflex makes a nice brake line holder. There is no reason to use rear control arms with the 1.5" and no reason to use upper fronts ever with that lift. Do the coils, 5100's and lower front control arms and you will be good. No reason to use the front track bar either I hated the RK front track bar but i think they redesigned it so it might be nicer now. If you hit the bilstiens with wax a couple times a year and they will stay looking good. I live in Montana where we use an over abundance of mgcl on the roads and everything rusts quickly but my shocks looked like new.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jadmt...thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for. All others, my '09 had the x-factor and I loved it!!This initial effort is a kit. Everything listed above came as a kit and, yes, actual brake lines, not bracket extensions. I am going with this now because I did the math and I could do this now, still add the upper 4 controls arms, rear track bar, and 2.5" coils later and still be around the same price as if I bought a 2.5" x-factor. I know, I know...why not go with x-factor now, right? Well, I retire soon so saving $1000 for now was nice. Plus, being in MI, I am not out rock crawling like when I lived in so cal (hence, the x-factor back then). When I retire, likely driving across the country will be nice on smaller tires and less lift, maybe with a trailer. Once I settle on a location, I'll decide what route I go with the rest of the build. Jadmt, thanks again. Thanks for all the responses to others!

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode