2010 JKU Drifting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrazyLarry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2010 JKU Drifting

Need some help, I have a 2010 JKU with a 4" lift on 37" Maxxis. Replaced draglink, trackbar, tierod with steersmarts equipment. Replaced Ball Joints with Dynatrac. now I have a drift in my steering at high speed (around 45-50) and I hit dips or rolling hills. cant seem to trace it out. looking for ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 01:45 PM
DJ1
Rock God

...any lift over 3.25" I'd personally do a draglink flip. Did you flip it?
post #3 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you raise the rear track bar bracket on the axle? I agree with the front flip as well. Check your tire pressure too, many run too much on big tires. 24-28 psi is typical to get the tires to roll flat.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Also you said new ball joints. They can cause the wheels to be slow to recenter in a turn and kind of "Drift" until they wear in a little. At least that was my experience with Synergy Ball Joints.

2009 JKU
post #5 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I did a front drag link flip.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

as was mentioned, if ya didn't get the rear trackbar raised to settle the roll center to match that tall lift, it can behave quite wonky. Also, safe to assume you lengthened your control arms suitably , as well? I've seen a slightly bent or too short a CA cause drift like you describe.
Does SteerSmarts offer a trackbar,now also? Did not know that. I had some odd tracking once on dips because a supposedly "HD, Adjustable" trackbar was bending and flexing under weight of 37s. Just throwing ideas out there....

post #7 of 16 Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have not raised the rear track bar. I had been running 37" for a while and never had any issues until I added the steersmarts parts and ball joints. Was woundering if it might be contributed to my steering box?
post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I have a similar issue but my JKU is setup a little different from yours with only ~2" lift and currently sitting on 33s. I have been building my front end up for the jump to 35-37s. I recently have the c-gussets reinforced and while doing it I swapped to Rare Parts Balljoints. I have the SteerSmarts tierod and draglink. My steering does not return all the way to center and this causes mine to wander and requires constant driver feedback. My alignment has been checked and its good. I've got over 1500 miles on my Jeep since the work and I'm still searching for what the issue might be.

2013 Commando Green JKU Rubicon
post #9 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Most likely the tires. Do you have the stockers you can put back on and try out. Did you raise the rear axle track bar bracket?

Some build info here:

post #10 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I don't have the stocks anymore to try that. I have been toying with the air pressure from mid-high 20s to mid 30s and that has had little impact. I did raise the rear trackbar with the teraflex bracket. I have the three hole bracket, can't recall whether I am in the lowest or middle.

post #11 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
JKO Addict!

What width of tires, wheel bs, adapters?

Some build info here:

post #12 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT285/70R17C listed as 11.5" wide. My wheels with 4.5" bs.

post #13 of 16 Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

Like someone else already mentioned the problem you are experiencing is due to the stiffness of our new steering components especially the balljoints. It will take time to break them in. Grease them thoroughly as well
JKommuter likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 PM
14ers

Angry

Jkjester and cmyates - did yall find a solution? Ive been running 35s on a 4.5 BDS lift for some time and it drove fine. Eventually developed death wobble due to loose ball joints and so replaced with Synergy, as well as drag link and stabilizer about 4K miles ago. Have not been able to get it to track true even mildly close to center. Wanders all over the place. Wondering if it might be a worn steering box, re-align the Toad, or something else?

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #15 of 16 Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I took mine back into the shop that did the ball joints and they discovered one was faulty. They replaced the ball joints under warranty and everything is better. It is not perfect but much better. I think the slight wander I have now is truly due to the tires and lower than optimal caster (~4.5-5*) due to the stock housing limitations.

I have also switched to synergy drag link and tie rod because I plan to do hydraulic assist and my preliminary estimates suggested the steer smarts setup would be challenging without doing the drag link flip due to the diameter of the parts and the placement of the adjusters. I know it can be done with the synergy based on others experience.

I would double check your alignment and ensure everything is torqued down properly before doing to much additional searching.

post #16 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 AM
14ers

👍🏼 Will do. Got an appt at ORW to check it out.

Thanks 🍺

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode