• 1 Post By jk_southwest
  • 2 Post By AllJumpStyle
  • 1 Post By SurfnSnow
  • 1 Post By SilverBulletJKU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Synergy 3” lift, shock recs?

I’be got a 3” Synergy lift sitting here waiting to be installed. Are the Fox shocks they list on their site the way to go, or are there better options!

2007 JKU

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

the topic is utterly and entirely subjective; as many JKO members as there are there shall be that many opinions and preferences for a shock brand preferred.
The Fox they suggest have been tested with that stage of Synergy Mfg lift. That is why they recommend it. Synergy thoproghly tests their products & the rig they used to put that thru its paces was likely running that model Fox. A comparable shock extension/compression stroke will do the same thing but with that particular dampening characteristic for that shock, which you may like ; you may not.
A better question might be ,"what shock have you run with a 3" synergy Mfg coil lift & what was the reason you preferred it over the Fox which the manufacturer recommends?" and you'll get replies back ranging fr4om OEM Rubicon shocks with extensions on them to JRI or KING high-end reservoirs , to the new, nice TeraFlex Falcon line or my preference, Bilstein. You could also just get some Quadratec or SkyJacker hydraulics or Old Man Emu or Rubicon express or some Fox....oh, wait....

see what I mean?

I personally like my stage 3 synergy Mfg suspension equipped with long Bilstein reservoirs that give about .25-.55" of additional travel on the down stroke. I made a mistake and bought non-user serviceable 5160s that I wish I had purchased their 7100 series instead because had I done so I could rebuild them ( if I ever needed to).

You'll start a war around here asking a question such as this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-25-2018 at 06:03 AM. Reason: wrong part reference. I have mid arm stage III kit- jj
post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I totally get what you mean about it being subjective. I just wanted to see if there was some sort there option I should seriously consider.

I’ve always been a big Bilstein fan, but they don’t seem to get as much love from the Jeep crowd as they did from the Mustang crowd back when I had my Mustang.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

i see far more of them than most other brands. Fox is dominant and I have heard so many people rave about the new TeraFlex. Old Man Emu nitrocharged are good shocks. It also very much depends upon weight & particular use case scenario of a given jeep, too.
But yeah; the ‘ heyday’ of bilstien seems to have waned evetybsince they bombed w/ that nighthawk thing back in the 00s ...but man , when I had 35s , a leveling kit and 5100s my 4door jeep rode so well as a DD/ weekend trail toy. For that matter my 5160s do too....I’d just go with the fox if you’re on the line & don’t have lotsa exp w all the different brands. They’re a solid choice , always...

survey76 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I still run the Bilstein 5100s and love them, but it does seem Fox has been the go to shock for a while now. I have also heard good reviews about the Teraflex Falcon line as well.
survey76 likes this.

post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

do further reasearch on here & elsewhere. @kjeeper10 & lots of others really liked the Rancho one with the variable/user-settable compression stroke dial thing.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by survey76 View Post
I’be got a 3” Synergy lift sitting here waiting to be installed. Are the Fox shocks they list on their site the way to go, or are there better options!

2007 JKU

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks for the purchase Dan. Our suspension systems with 3" lift springs pair really well with Fox's shocks listed for 4-6" lift heights. You will typically be able to get a bit more travel out of a remote reservoir shock than with an ifp due to a longer stroke with the same mounting length. Many don't know this, but we actually helped Fox develop their valving for their first JK specific Fox shocks.

Since every Jeep is different due to tires, fenders, etc, if you have time to install the kit first without shocks, put it to bump with the coil springs removed and the bump stop spacers installed to see what the appropriate collapsed shock lengths should be front and rear and order based on that. This will allow you to maximize your wheel travel by using as much shock travel as possible and will result in a better articulating vehicle as a result.
j3ff3ry_j33p and survey76 like this.

Chris Steimle
Product Manager

post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the help guys!

post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Granite Guru

I have the same lift and when I got it, it came with the Bilstein 5100 shocks which were great. After those wore out, I bought the Fox reservoir shocks and some far those have been great on and off the trail. Like it's been said before, either one will work well and you can't go wrong.
survey76 likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm running a Synergy 3" with the Fox Performance 4-6" shocks and they are really sweet. The shocks pair with the coils really well.
survey76 likes this.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllJumpStyle View Post
Thanks for the purchase Dan. Our suspension systems with 3" lift springs pair really well with Fox's shocks listed for 4-6" lift heights. You will typically be able to get a bit more travel out of a remote reservoir shock than with an ifp due to a longer stroke with the same mounting length. Many don't know this, but we actually helped Fox develop their valving for their first JK specific Fox shocks.

Since every Jeep is different due to tires, fenders, etc, if you have time to install the kit first without shocks, put it to bump with the coil springs removed and the bump stop spacers installed to see what the appropriate collapsed shock lengths should be front and rear and order based on that. This will allow you to maximize your wheel travel by using as much shock travel as possible and will result in a better articulating vehicle as a result.

Just sent you a PM, but wondering which length Teraflex Falcon to use.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode