Vibration 15-45 MPH - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Vibration 15-45 MPH

About a month ago I left out for a 200 mile trip for a week. No issues what’s so ever during the interstate speeds of 65-70 MPH. Finally got to the exit and back into 25-45 MPHs speeds and start to get a front end/steering wheel vibration from 15-45 MPH. If I slowed down or sped up it would clear out just fine. Pulled into a local tire shop to see if I had thrown a weight off or something else. They tell me the balancing is good and that it’s most likely my worn tires (Truthfully they were well worn and had slight cupping). So I go about the week and increase my tires air pressures since the cupping was on the edges. This seemed to make it happen a little less. Got home and ordered a new set of wheels and tires. To my surprise didn’t change the issue at all. I pulled out the front drive shaft and the CV joint has lost its boot and slung grease at the transfer case. Take it for a spin and the vibration is still there. I’m still on stock steering and its had several years on 35s and had some slop in it. So I replaced the drag link and tie rod and got the Jeep aligned. Seemed to improve the vibration a little bit but still there. Next I replaced the wheel bearings even though testing showed no signs of an issue. It improved the vibration even more but was still there. To me the issue seems to happen more once the Jeep has warmed up from driving a bit. I’ve already tested the ball joints and there’s no excessive movement which I replaced those 15,000 miles ago with the Teraflex ball joints. My next focus is the track bar which hasn’t shone signs of it being an issue but I’m not taking a chance and have already ordered a replacement. Only other things besides all that I would guess could be a control arm, pitman arm, bracket, or steering box issue.

Worn tires we 35x12.5-17 Nitto TGs with about 80k on them. New tires are same size and brand but RGs. My wheels went from a 17x8 to a 17x9.

I’ve already replaced the bolts with a bolt kit years ago and upgraded the steering stabilizer.

Starting to run out of ideas patience and money.

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
About a month ago I left out for a 200 mile trip for a week. No issues whatís so ever during the interstate speeds of 65-70 MPH. Finally got to the exit and back into 25-45 MPHs speeds and start to get a front end/steering wheel vibration from 15-45 MPH. If I slowed down or sped up it would clear out just fine. Pulled into a local tire shop to see if I had thrown a weight off or something else. They tell me the balancing is good and that itís most likely my worn tires (Truthfully they were well worn and had slight cupping). So I go about the week and increase my tires air pressures since the cupping was on the edges. This seemed to make it happen a little less. Got home and ordered a new set of wheels and tires. To my surprise didnít change the issue at all. I pulled out the front drive shaft and the CV joint has lost its boot and slung grease at the transfer case. Take it for a spin and the vibration is still there. Iím still on stock steering and its had several years on 35s and had some slop in it. So I replaced the drag link and tie rod and got the Jeep aligned. Seemed to improve the vibration a little bit but still there. Next I replaced the wheel bearings even though testing showed no signs of an issue. It improved the vibration even more but was still there. To me the issue seems to happen more once the Jeep has warmed up from driving a bit. Iíve already tested the ball joints and thereís no excessive movement which I replaced those 15,000 miles ago with the Teraflex ball joints. My next focus is the track bar which hasnít shone signs of it being an issue but Iím not taking a chance and have already ordered a replacement. Only other things besides all that I would guess could be a control arm, pitman arm, bracket, or steering box issue.

Worn tires we 35x12.5-17 Nitto TGs with about 80k on them. New tires are same size and brand but RGs. My wheels went from a 17x8 to a 17x9.

Iíve already replaced the bolts with a bolt kit years ago and upgraded the steering stabilizer.

Did you the the front shaft and drive? Free and would rule it out. Speed related vibe like u describe is typically tire related. Were they road force balanced?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Quote:
About a month ago I left out for a 200 mile trip for a week. No issues what’s so ever during the interstate speeds of 65-70 MPH. Finally got to the exit and back into 25-45 MPHs speeds and start to get a front end/steering wheel vibration from 15-45 MPH. If I slowed down or sped up it would clear out just fine. Pulled into a local tire shop to see if I had thrown a weight off or something else. They tell me the balancing is good and that it’s most likely my worn tires (Truthfully they were well worn and had slight cupping). So I go about the week and increase my tires air pressures since the cupping was on the edges. This seemed to make it happen a little less. Got home and ordered a new set of wheels and tires. To my surprise didn’t change the issue at all. I pulled out the front drive shaft and the CV joint has lost its boot and slung grease at the transfer case. Take it for a spin and the vibration is still there. I’m still on stock steering and its had several years on 35s and had some slop in it. So I replaced the drag link and tie rod and got the Jeep aligned. Seemed to improve the vibration a little bit but still there. Next I replaced the wheel bearings even though testing showed no signs of an issue. It improved the vibration even more but was still there. To me the issue seems to happen more once the Jeep has warmed up from driving a bit. I’ve already tested the ball joints and there’s no excessive movement which I replaced those 15,000 miles ago with the Teraflex ball joints. My next focus is the track bar which hasn’t shone signs of it being an issue but I’m not taking a chance and have already ordered a replacement. Only other things besides all that I would guess could be a control arm, pitman arm, bracket, or steering box issue.

I’ve already replaced the bolts with a bolt kit years ago and upgraded the steering stabilizer.

Did you the the front shaft and drive? Free and would rule it out. Speed related vibe like u describe is typically tire related. Were they road force balanced?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

They were and I’ve had the issue with the old wheel and tire setup and the new one now.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-02-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now I just removed the track back in preparation for the replacement one and noticed theres gouge marks in the metal sleeve of the bushing on both ends of track bar. Mainly from the middle of the sleeve back to edge. Also the bushings are hard as rocks.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
post #5 of 10 Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Replaced the track bar and ran my normal test drive that can make the issue appear and no change. Waiting for my replacement CV for the front drive shaft to come in then I will pull the rear drive shaft and see if that changes anything. What gets me is it’s like what ever the issue is has to warm up before it starts and I can’t find anything that stands out as an issue once I stop and look.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
post #6 of 10 Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

motor mounts, transmission mounts , control arm bushings , wollowed-out bracket holes , loose steering joint or one that has loosened at column from greaseless wear , worn swaybar endlink bushings , weight from driveshaft being knocked off or a bent lower control arm mount can all be possible intermittent vibe inducers.

Also, don't put all your tire balance eggs in one basket; where one installer may say that they road force balanced your new tires ,that doesn't mean they actually know how you use the machine properly.

There's some indication that service is needed upon everything if your trackbar bushings are rock hard.
Not everyone is as obsessive as I am but I'd pretty much start at rear and work my way thru every single component towards the front and touch every single thing. There are rarely single recommendations that can be offered for vague issues such as yours thus = fine tooth comb required.

Wish I could sggt better than that . Lay beneath her for a few days and tickle her underside with your wrenches. Sweet-talk does not hurt. You'll come across it eventually ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-03-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
motor mounts, transmission mounts , control arm bushings , wollowed-out bracket holes , loose steering joint or one that has loosened at column from greaseless wear , worn swaybar endlink bushings , weight from driveshaft being knocked off or a bent lower control arm mount can all be possible intermittent vibe inducers.

Also, don't put all your tire balance eggs in one basket; where one installer may say that they road force balanced your new tires ,that doesn't mean they actually know how you use the machine properly.

There's some indication that service is needed upon everything if your trackbar bushings are rock hard.
Not everyone is as obsessive as I am but I'd pretty much start at rear and work my way thru every single component towards the front and touch every single thing. There are rarely single recommendations that can be offered for vague issues such as yours thus = fine tooth comb required.

Wish I could sggt better than that . Lay beneath her for a few days and tickle her underside with your wrenches. Sweet-talk does not hurt. You'll come across it eventually ....

:-)
I got froggy and figure to clear my head a little I would just go over the rear just to try something new. Doing so I put the Jeep on jack stands and dropped it into drive to see if I can recreate it and have an attempt to look at it. Doing so I believe I’ve narrowed it down to the rear driveshaft. In that speed range you can watch the transfer case and exhaust shimmy and can hear a faint noise coming from the slip joint of the driveshaft. Once I stopped it I noticed that all the 8mm bolts on the axel side were only hand tight. Tightening them didn’t fix the issue but kinda pointed more to a driveshaft issue. So I ordered a driveshaft.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq

Last edited by HighTower; 08-03-2018 at 03:19 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I got froggy and figure to clear my head a little I would just go over the rear just to try something new. Doing so I put the Jeep on jack stands and dropped it into drive to see if I can recreate it and have an attempt to look at it. Doing so I believe Iíve narrowed it down to the rear driveshaft. In that speed range you can watch the transfer case and exhaust shimmy and can hear a faint noise coming from the slip joint of the driveshaft. Once I stopped it I noticed that all the 8mm bolts on the axel side were only hand tight. Tightening them didnít fix the issue but kinda pointed more to a driveshaft issue. So I ordered a driveshaft.

cool that you might have isolated it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So here’s an update. Got parts in today to put in the front driveshaft and remove the rear to get ready for it to come in tomorrow. Once I remove the rear driveshaft I noticed that the back of the CV joint has gease seeping out of the back of it. When trying to move it around by hand the joint has a drag to in. Also it gets stuck at some positions. Besides that the slip joint also feels gritty compared to the one on the front drive shaft.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well rear driveshaft is in and everything seems good to go minus a couple rookie mistakes. Like dropping the caps off the U joint and the typical smashing my thumb with a hammer trying to swap out the U joint.

2010 JKU Sahara
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Superchips Flashpaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode