Limp mode no speedometer/odometer - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Limp mode no speedometer/odometer

Needing some help from people who know more than me. I have a 2013 2 door I put a set of custom built rock jocks under a nd can't get out of limp mode. It is not throwing codes and has been calibrated with a flashpaq. I've tried several adjustments on speed sensors with no luck speedometer worked intermittently once but quite very quickly and never came out of limp mode. Ive been on this for a yr at least and can't figure it out dealership will not help either cause of the axles. Please help if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Could this problem be caused by bad or wrong tone rings? I have gm/dodge front 2 bearing wheel hubs on all 4 corners with press on tone rings. I am not sure which brand tone rings are tho. They are 52 tooth.
Just thinking out loud here feel free to correct me
post #3 of 11 Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

somethin like this was used, yeah?
https://www.currieenterprises.com/CE-11320JKF
( they have em for full & semi float . I think Artec does, too. )
Sounds like you don’t have right gap between sensor and teeth or some type of incompatible tone ring / reluctor wheel.

Pictures go much farther around here for assists on stuff like this ; maybe post links to photos you have uploaded to your web image catalog of choice ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

If the WSS don't sync up correctly it will be in limp mode.

You should be able to get a good scanner and monitor the wheel speed signal from each wheel and verify that they match each other first. If they are all working and matching then you would need to adjust the settings in the ecu to get the speedo correct.

Im betting that one or more are either not working or have different ring counts and don't match.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hard to get good pics all wss test to be good had to replace 3 after I got it from the shop that did this. All wss are setup in this orientation. Gap has ranged from .002- a half inch or more. I get an ohm reading of .446 on each ac voltage of .45 or so with wheel spinning in gear.
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Found these pics online was wondering if someone could verify which is the correct orientation to the tone rings. These pics where they are beside or above with them directly inline with the end?
Attached Images

post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: Limp....

i was always under the impression that the stator pole alignment requires that the WSSs on the JK was such that it would be required ( correctly) to run horizontal to the teeth on the tone ring , like your 2nd images display. Here you can actually see the pole annotated & I think you can see pretty clearly how misaligned those presently are on your first image.

That being said, note the Ď11 JKU I have is my first jeep to ever have WSSs and Iím not sure if you can or have to install them differently when moving to 1 ton axles since I havenít swapped my stock housings yet so maybe I am not qualified in that end of this topic but , technically. I canít see how the magnetic fieldís expanding and contracting that needs to be read by that stator pole position will permit those to work in the first imageís configuration.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Finally got the speedo working. It was the orientation of the sensor they get there signal from the side that has a little square etched on them and not the end or the other sides. Got 3 out of the 4 working passenger front is now slamming abs and rpms get limited unless traction control is turned off so I’m assuming I didn’t get that one quite right so I’ll try again tomorrow. Hope all this helps someone else.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 AM
Rock God

It will help me.

You're having the same issue now (after the 3 sensors were sorted out) that I had after swapping stock axles with 3.27's for stock axles with 4.10's. Snap-On scanner showed the right rear tone would drop out on occasion. When turning right she'll bog and spudder for a moment. Turn off traction control and she drives just fine.

If you find that 4th one needs adjusted more then thats good news for me. My stock rear axle as 10Factory shafts so I'm assuming the tone ring might not be pressed on perfectly. Been driving with TC off and just deal with it.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Took the passenger fro t back apart rewelded it into a better position like the rest of em and then test drove getting implausible WSS on both front now and speed sensor 1 performance. SS 1 performance has come up every time 2 sensors have been unplugged so not sure on that one any ideas. Anybody know a company that makes a mount for gm style kingpins?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I would be fine with traction control off if dam thing would just shift so I can drive it lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode