blown up rear diff. Now what - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-27-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

blown up rear diff. Now what

Hey guys, looking for opinions here . 2008 wrangler 100k miles. 2012 rubi axles swapped in stock 410s and e locker. about 60k on new axles.

My rear diff pinion bearing went out, drive about 15 miles home making noise. the shop says over 2k parts and labor

the shop says the carrier is no good, i saw it had teeth marks in it, the lockers no good because of fine metal shavings , and the gears are no good because of different wear pattern.

should i

A: have them fix it, New OEM carrier, gears, and locker.
B: buy a used rubi 44 from craigslist and swap it in.
C: upgrade to a complete axle from curry or dynatrac. ( and then gear the front to match)
D: have them just replace whats immediately broken in the diff, the pinion bearing, ring and pinion, and bet the locker and carrier are alright.

any input appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

What size tires you plan on running? If 37s or larger I would go with C. Find a full float rear axle that has 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern and then run adapters up front to match. You will have to get new wheels though. Don’t bother with that semi float 60 shit. Or just get a non rubi rear housing and fill it with an Eaton e locker or arb and gears of your choice
post #3 of 12 Old 07-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Rock God

I would certainly do B. You don't want to put any money into that housing because I suspect the race for the pinion bearing is damaged as well. Could have very fine scratches that will wreak havoc on new bearings.

Dana 44s, rubicon or not, are cheap used. I know of several 4x4 shops around me that have them laying around in piles. Craigslist or call the local 4x4 shops and see what they want for one. Can't be much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 PM
Rock God

For over $2k in parts and labor, I would be looking into an upgrade to a 60 (depending on your tire size) or since you have factory 4.10 gears just finding another Rubicon rear Dana 44 with 4.10s.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Wheeler

Just because the rear lock has been touched by the pinion doesnt mean it's bad.
If the locker is good..
What would they charge for a master rebuild kit and used 4.10s off line. I bet you can get used gears for free or just shipping cost
If the locker is bad I would just build a "super 44?"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 AM
yes, I have asperger's

E: bacon
post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2018, 02:56 AM
Granite Guru

I thought you had to get a matched ring and pinion? If you have any plans of doing a motor swap like a V8 just get an upgraded axle like a 14 bolt otherwise you should be good with what you have. Fix what you can afford.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2018, 03:04 AM
Granite Guru

post #9 of 12 Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 AM

Haven't spoken to anyone personally running one, but ECGS sells a bolt-in ready semi float 60 for around $3300 shipped (depending on how you build it). If you're looking mostly at cost and want to upgrade, seems worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Rock God

Pinion bearings inner and outer races should always be changed when the bearings are changed as they come as a set in the rebuild kit.
A good flush and clean of the carrier and it should be fine. The Ring and pinion should be replaced with new not used and set up properly.
Itís a big job no matter what you do, but only you now the correct path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5tan View Post
Haven't spoken to anyone personally running one, but ECGS sells a bolt-in ready semi float 60 for around $3300 shipped (depending on how you build it). If you're looking mostly at cost and want to upgrade, seems worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nope , Nope , Nope , personally I wouldn't use a semi-float vs. a full-float .

My Humble opinion of course , the reasons could fill a book .

Just no reason to sacrifice the strength differences for the perception that there is a benefit to purchase a axel that has a "cheaper" price .

The old saying Pay Once , Cry Once .
post #12 of 12 Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
Nope , Nope , Nope , personally I wouldn't use a semi-float vs. a full-float .

My Humble opinion of course , the reasons could fill a book .

Just no reason to sacrifice the strength differences for the perception that there is a benefit to purchase a axel that has a "cheaper" price .

The old saying Pay Once , Cry Once .
I beat and beat on my stock 44 with 40" treps and a 500+hp LS motor for quite a while before I pulled it. Do I think it would have lasted forever? Hell no.

I found a Currie rockjock rear 60 for JK (yes semi float) and also (yes high pinion). For a really good price. After I sold my stock 44 I dont have much in it.

I get that full float is stronger... however these axle shafts are the diameter of 40 spline shafts, neck down to 35 spline right before the carrier, and run a larger bearing on the flange end. With the shaft diameter being larger on the flange end there is more contact area with the flange and has to be a good bit less likely to bend a flange.

I have zero data to back that up, just using my logic here. Maybe I'm wrong but even a semi float axle like this has to be a good bit stronger than the 44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode