4Likes
  • 1 Post By Donut707
  • 3 Post By White13JKUR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

anyone used Brake Disks from Amazon?

hey
I've been reading about the hellishly expensive BBK brake upgrades that people seem to swear by. If I wanted to get better brakes but not full-on awesome brakes, there are cheeper options available.

Does anyone have an opinion on this type of kit? http://a.co/blmaiQG

The ratings are pretty good, but then ratings suck.

thanks

My never ending build log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 12:25 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Guess the real question is, do you want something made with child labor or do you want to put food on an American family's table. That's a no-brainer for me.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

nope. That's not even close to the question. the question is, I can't afford several grand, will several hundred buy a solution that's better then what I have? Then I can spend the remainder putting food on my own table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've run that very same kit. I like them and have put over 60K on a set. they don't dust or make any noise. Since I have put so many miles on them I will be buying another set soon.
mozzer502 likes this.

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #5 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

many thanks

post #6 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I got 70k out of stock brakes on my bone stock jk. After lift and 35s I got 40+k on stock brakes. Driving habits can make a huge difference.

I found those brake pads (powerstop) on Rockauto for a bit less.

Last edited by rockystock; 07-27-2018 at 04:02 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-27-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

looking in more detail at the company's website (they manufacture in Chicago for those interested), it seems you can replace all 4 discs and pads for about $300 or spend an extra $500 and get new calipers too. The only thing I can see different about the calipers is that they're red. $500 is a lot for a bit of paint.

Am I missing something?

post #8 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 02:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

With 37s or above, any brake performance mod that doesn't either increase the brake pad surface or rotor diameter (or both) probably won't be worth the trouble. Stainless braided lines are probably the only exception. I'd recommend saving/moving up to one of the BBKs. Maybe find rotors/pads at local junk yards in the mean time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzer502 View Post
looking in more detail at the company's website (they manufacture in Chicago for those interested), it seems you can replace all 4 discs and pads for about $300 or spend an extra $500 and get new calipers too. The only thing I can see different about the calipers is that they're red. $500 is a lot for a bit of paint.

Am I missing something?
post #9 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Am I missing something......I scoured their website and could not see anywhere that they said they were made in America. I would think if there were made in the USA that would be on the website.

Yes, they have an office in Bedford Park, IL but it does not say they manufacture anything there.

I highly doubt they are made in the USA.

The new rotors look nice but slotted / drilled rotors do nothing to increase brake force at Jeep driving speeds. Slotted or drilled rotors are designed to allow hot gas to escape from under the brake pad - something that you only need on a racetrack. Maybe...

Best bang for the buck is upgraded pads and new OEM style rotors (cheaper). But the difference will be slight.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
hey
I've been reading about the hellishly expensive BBK brake upgrades that people seem to swear by. If I wanted to get better brakes but not full-on awesome brakes, there are cheeper options available.

Does anyone have an opinion on this type of kit? http://a.co/blmaiQG

The ratings are pretty good, but then ratings suck.

thanks
What are you tying to accomplish? Just replacing the pads and rotors or do you want an actual big brake kit.

The kit you are linking to will not likely net you much improvement. The slotted/drilled rotors won't do much if anything for you on a jeep. It's not a Porsche, BMW or other track car. I have slotted (not drilled) rotors on my BMW and there's really no difference that I can tell. They don't even seem to wear out the pads faster as a lot of folks like to suggest.

If you want to actually improve your braking power for the least amount of cash possible, I would go with the Crown dual piston calipers with larger rotors.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automot.../dp/B0754C7GY9

And then after that, go for the J8 master cylinder and brake booster.

Optional: braided stainless brake lines

FWIW, I pulled Mopar brake parts (calipers, brackets and rotors) out of Mopar boxes that were labeled "Made in Brazil"

Also FWIW, the Monroney label on my 2013 said that the engine was assembled in Mexico.

edit:
I wouldn't even replace the rotors if you've only run one set of pads on them. What I do on my own cars is to replace the rotors after two sets of pads or if they are warped.
Tspevacek, Donut707 and mozzer502 like this.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

As other have said, I would change the brake lines out to stainless steel braided first.

Unless your rotors are warped or close to spec (as far as needing replaced) I wouldn’t change them. If you do get a good set of blank rotors (not slotted/cross drilled. Back in the day they used to vent gases released by the pads under heavy racing abuse but anymore are “bling”).

Pads: You’re going to have to deal with brake dust, but get a more aggressive pad.

One thing I have yet to see here is pad break in. Before I put the pad on, I make sure it’s flat. Take the pad and put the pad material face down on the concrete and press on the pad lightly while going up/down then left/right. Clean off the pad and install.

Once everything is done (pads installed, brakes bled, brakes pumped a few times, etc.) then take the jeep out somewhere where you can do 5 run of 40-5mph while HARD on the brakes. Then 3 runs of of 70-20mph hard on the brakes. This is transferring brake material to the rotors and needing the pads. I do this to all of my vehicles, including past track cars, and has always done a great job slowing my vehicles down.

Big brakes are great if you have money to waste or are in a high end racing, but I bet most would get by with the above. Just my $0.02.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #12 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Forgot to say after the 70 mph runs drive around where you don’t need the brakes so they can cool off.

Another note. Anytime you are hard on the brake (sudden stop at a light) stay off the brakes. This is a big reason rotors warp. Put the jeep in Park or use the e-brake or both.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #13 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This is great. Thanks for all the advice!

1) What am I trying to do? I have JKU lifted 3.5" on 37" tires. With that and all the armor (skids plates, roof rack, sliders, etc) I'm guessing that the Jeep is 30% heavier than it used to be. So I thought that would mean the brakes are outclassed and should be upgraded. This is a precautionary upgrade. I've never noticed a problem.

2) Thanks for the tips on moving to BBK. I'll start saving and make the change. I'm abandoning the idea of this cheep upgrade.

3) I misspoke about them making parts in Chicago. They do something called "remanufacturing" and only on the calipers. Google

thanks again

post #14 of 18 Old 07-28-2018, 11:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

In the mean time, I've seen brand new take-off rotors for good prices at some of the Jeep shops online. Rubitrux has some for sale now and then. Good luck!
post #15 of 18 Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 PM

I did the Teraflex bbk for the front rotors to move up to a dual piston caliper. They are really beefy calipers and were designed well. For the rear I'm using EBC yellow stuff pads. I love the combination even with the OEM master cylinder. I'm much more confident in the braking with my 37s now than I was with 35s on the stock setup. This setup is well worth the little chunk of cash it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #16 of 18 Old 07-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

ive got no stake in these backNforth about them being made here or there but , fwiw, to answer the OPs original question, theres nothing wrong - technically - w that brand of rotor/pad kit. My 95 Cherokee had OEM brake rotors up front after 325,000 original miles and among other upgrades went a kit of those PowerStop brake rebuild rotors ...they were welcome replacements, performed just like any other rotor and for 50k miles the pads were fine as well. I have upgraded to whatever that brand that Advance Auto sells - duralast maybe? - in Gold pads but the rotors are a good value. Im all for buyin American but honestly, its rotors.

They require a slightly better pad but Id recommend them if in a budget.

post #17 of 18 Old 07-30-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks everyone. I'm asking Santa to make space in his sack for BBKs

post #18 of 18 Old 07-31-2018, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Just to close out the country of origin discussion. I pinged Powerstop. The rotors are made in China.

Pretty much guaranteed if a vendor fails to disclose country of origin, its China.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode