RK suspension help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

RK suspension help

Ok guys I need some help. I'm running the RK 2.5" X Factor kit on my 2012 4dr. JKU. I want to go 3.5" (because I like the look more than anything as the 2.5" performs exceptionally well) and eventually to 37's once the current 35's wear out. I'm mechanically inclined and have no issues installing the new springs, and shocks. My only problem is pulling all the arms and adjusting those correctly. I have never done it before and don't want to screw it up. How hard is it and can a guy do it in his driveway with some help from You tube? Next question is should I stay with RK springs or go to Metal Cloak as I've read their springs are really good? If I plan on doing some overlanding with a roof top tent will the aforementioned springs work or is there a specific spring for overlanding? I know a lot of questions in 1 post but i appreciate any advice, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Rock God

You can definitely do it in the driveway. I've done it many times. The biggest pain is loosening and tightening the jam nuts. The other issue that you may have is just getting the axle to line up. But none of it is impossible. With regards to the springs I can't really talk about the Metal Cloak as all I've had are Rk on mine. You could always call RK and ask them if they have different springs for heavier weight.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #3 of 8 Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

If you think RK exceptionally rides well whey would you look at different brands?
I would be more concerned about the loss of caster and steering issues as lengthening the control arms is not a big deal. When you get tall on the lift you kinda got to make adjustments based on driveling vibration vs caster. IF you can find an alignment shop that is lift friendly would be your best bet. A roof top tend should not have a huge impact on lift height due to the fact you are placing the load on all 4 springs.

As for adjusting the arms, don't pull them all off. Install your new coils and drive around for a week or so so they settle in. Then figure ow far you want to push the axles. Its likely in the 3/8-1/2" range depending on what you actually get out of the coils. Adjust them by removing and lengthen them one at a time then after its reinstalled move to the next one. If doing a 3 link system do the upper link last after you are satisfied with the axle placement to adjust for your caster. IF you get front driveling vibrations then you need to shorten the upper link or install some off set ball joints to rotate the outer C's and regain your caster.
Get some alignment bars as it will help you get stuff signed up since you will be in a slight bind while lengthening the arms.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Rock God

If just wanting a taller look just add 1” spacers it’ll save a bunch of money and give you exactly 1”. With coils you never know what you will get. I went from 2.5 rk to 3.5 rk and got an inch but my buddy did the same and his back was raised considerably more than mine on similar builds.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
If just wanting a taller look just add 1” spacers it’ll save a bunch of money and give you exactly 1”. With coils you never know what you will get. I went from 2.5 rk to 3.5 rk and got an inch but my buddy did the same and his back was raised considerably more than mine on similar builds.
Agreed! If you are just lifting it an extra inch for the looks, it is hard to beat a 1" spacer. They are easily done in a driveway install.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK now I'm thinking about going the coilover route. I'm looking at the Icon bolt on kit for the front. I like it due to the adjustability from 1.75" to 4" Anyone have any experience with this? Are the coilovers worth the money? Any other tips or advice before I decide would be appreciated. Thank you
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Any coil over is adjustable, coil rates and the amount of preload will determine how much height you actually get out of it. Most bolt on kits run too long a travel shock for the lift height and tire size most run. The bolt on kits seem really expensive as well but I have never installed an Icon coil over. I would look at accu-tune for a coil over as they spend the time to tune the shocks to your ride and not just a generic JK tune like most give you.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I made my decision and stayed away from the Coil over suspension. I ended up going with 3.5" Metal Cloak springs and new Fox shocks. I really liked their true dual rate springs and the ride is very good. So far I'm happy with the decision. The bad news we found out while getting the alignment done is that my front D30 is bent, not bad but bent for sure. We got it all straight for now. The current D30 has been trussed with chromoly sleeves as I bought it that way. The guy I bought it from never wheeled it (wife's ride to work) and I didn't wheel it hard yet. The shop I went to seems to think when the truss was welded on they may have heated it too much as they welded way too much on the axle housing. I'm going to run it until it gets real bad then do a D44 upgrade of some sort, I still want to run 37's but may need to wait awhile as the damn D44's are like gold$$!! Thanks for all the suggestions and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode