RK front coilover rough ride problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

RK front coilover rough ride problem

So I havea 2009 JKU Rubicon running an 35 " RK lift with their front coilovers on 37" tires with 17" beadlock rims.

I issue I am having is I find that I hit the smallest bump in the road and you would think I had no shocks on the damn thing at all... Is there a way to adjust the coil spring rate on these? I have tried to see if they sell other springs at different ratings to help with this but I don't see them on their website and the last few calls I placed have been unanswered.

Should I Just supply more air to the schraeder valve that is on the top to see if that helps at all?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I may be way off base, but what pressure are you running in your tires? Probably going to want something around 28psi.

2009 JKU
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you have time, give us a call in the office and we will do our best to help you out. Like others have mentioned, it could be tire pressure, but there are many other tuning factors as well such as cross over ring placement etc. that need to be taken into account. I am sure we can help you out. 518-270-9822 Ask for tech support...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

i'm running 30 right now... I could try dropping them some more. I just did it to the point so I had full tread on the pavement. Granted my method for determining this is the most scientifically sound... (wet the tire and drive a short distance and compare the wet tread mark left behind is full width)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. Hutson View Post
i'm running 30 right now... I could try dropping them some more. I just did it to the point so I had full tread on the pavement. Granted my method for determining this is the most scientifically sound... (wet the tire and drive a short distance and compare the wet tread mark left behind is full width)
definitely lower to 26-28psi then ,
try chalk ya can buy for $1.00 or less at drugstore on dry asphalt; your scientific wet tread test method yields too much potential drying (size-reduction) by the time you look at the imprint ...you can see where the chalk wears off after only 2 revolutions of the tire frwrd plus it stays visible.
But, more importantly , take @Rock Krawler Suspension up on the call+ support assist !

PAC ,KING and Fox sell CO springs fwiw...RCO would be a good purchasing point ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

RK coils are an odd size so I don't think the standard stuff from fox or king is going to fit. The ones on that rock runner build actually had two different diameter coils on it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

RK 2.625 Coil Overs take standard sizes for 2.5"-2.65" Coil Overs. They are all 3" I.D. coil over coils. Our coils that we have in bulk have expanded barrel bodies to minimize the potential rubbing of a coil against the shock body. Most standard coils do not do that. For our non bulk coils we generally us PAC which conform to the normal standard. Hope that helps.

Again, why not call us so we can give you some ideas of tuning and setups? We can provide far better information quickly and easily over the phone as well as get your level of knowledge on coil over setups to get an idea of where you are at...

RK
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Wheeler

I have the same problem. I even sent mine to Rock Krawler to have them revalved for a softer ride; no noticeable change. Not to mention there is about a 2-3 week turnaround. I'm going to give Accutune in Carson, Ca. a try. Problem is, parts were not readily available until a year or so ago. I recently ordered new softer PAC spring. Now I just need to swap them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode