Power Steering - Teflon bits / chunks in filter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Power Steering - Teflon bits / chunks in filter

[Moved this from Stock JK Tech Dept.]

Working on my power steering, I opened up my P/S filter and found very little dirt or visible particles, but did see some teflon bits, about one on every 5 or so pleats. These bits seem too thick to be any sort of tape or coating. I'm guessing this means the beginning of the end of one or more steering box components (it's the only part I know of that might have teflon internal parts); but please let me know if any of you have other ideas.

For background, I have an '08 JKUR, stock steering box, stock lines with ~110,000 miles. Pretty sure the '08s do not have the teflon-lined hoses. I've been running the PSC pump and reservoir (kit #1853X) with a Derale cooler, and the Synergy sector shaft brace for the last 40,000 miles. The steering seemed to be getting a bit sloppy most recently, but I also found a track bar bushing with just a little play that would probably have masked any problems with the steering box. I've drained and adjusted the preload on the box, and it seems to be functioning smoothly when rotating by hand.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?? Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode