2010 Rubicon shuttering at low rpms any gear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ronjenx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

2010 Rubicon shuttering at low rpms any gear

I have a 2010 JK with a 3.5 lift and replaced both drive shafts with Rubicon Express. The Jeep has a strange shuttering only under certain conditions. It typically occurs when cruising on level ground, and low rpm (1500 or less). Basically, running where you would expect it to downshift. If I push the pedal down to accelerate it will smooth out and/or downshift. I checked to broken motor or trans mounts and their ok. Anyone else have the same experience or suggestions on whatís going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Could what you call shuttering also be described as driving over rumble strips?

Driving over rumble strips is how the early JK torque converter lock-up clutch issue was described. There was a re-flash for it back in the day.
If the re-flash didn't fix it, the torque converter was replaced.
Dkjeep and Rb6700 like this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 06:33 AM
JKowners Vendor

Did you have the issue before you replaced the driveshafts?

It kinda sounds like a transmission issue, maybe torque converter shudder.

Do you have a "tune" on it? diablo, super chips etc.....

Also check the trans fluid level and smell if its burnt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the feedback. Very helpful in zeroing in on the problem.

I'm ruling out the drives shafts, motor mounts, trans & transfer mounts. I only notice the problem on pavment in 2WD. I would think a rear driveshaft problem would be apparent throughout normal driving conditions, maybe im wrong. The transmission fliud shows no signs of being burnt.

I do have a programmer and changed it back to stock for smogging. The problem was there before changing to strock.

Both your comments have been great. I'm leaning more to a torque converter problem than trans.

I will taking it to a transmission shop next week to get there input.

Thanks again for your help.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If youíre stoked about learniní everything you can about the Jeep, Ill remind OP to not overlook the first question @0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME asked on his last comment; did the issue exist prior to the upgraded ,dual-cardan drive-shafts from RE. That would be the immediate first question so, I guess you have had the shafts tested for proper balance , right? I only speak for myself, but I would not hesitate to question the quality of something which requires as much mechanically preciision as a driveshaft , particularly if it were from a Transamerican( overseas ,mass-fabrication assembly),lesser quality company. Itíd be so easy for a misplaced weight / loss of a balance weight or the slightest imbalance in a DS to result in grumbling at a specific rpm range.

You say you rule out , among other things, the driveshafts . Itís important to know why you rule them out and thus, if the issue immediately presented itself after those were installed or before.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Your right i should have answered the first question. I did not have the problem before changing the drives shafts. Here's some missing information i should have shared that lead me to rule out the drives shafts. (1) Paying closer attention to the shuttering i noticed its non-existant from a cold start until engine/trans warms up. No shuttering at any speeds, accel/decel, lug down no problem until things warm up. Once warmed up i can easily cause it to shutter cruising pretty much any speed at around 1800 rpm or less and slowely trying to accelerate. If i push the pedel down a little farther to increase the acceleration it goes away or push down farther it downshifts.

The driveshafts were ruled out in my mind because if they were the problem it would exist right from a cold start, out of balance, u-joints, etc.

From this forum and other sources the problem is pointing more towards the torque converter or trans. I'm leaning towards the torque converter.

Visual inspection of the driveshafts show no signs of hitting out of align on rocks or bad u-joints. With the new info, if you feel the drive shaft could still be the problem i'll pull it off and get it checked out.

Your input along ronjenx has been very helpful. Thank you
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Ok.
I just thought it’d be prudent to know how you’d ascertained the DS integrity and you have .
Yeah I’d take the TC into consideration; are ya running clean, correct level of ATF+4 in the transmission ? I think you’d see this or other symptoms of the tranny at all manner of operating conditions, were it bad . However, it does sound like a clutch pack for 3rd or the OD might be bad or that maybe the TC has bit the ghost.

no wonky behavior if you hold brake down & as you slightly bring on accelerator while holding brakes, right?
What’s mileage on jeep and tranny ?
good luck and update us on what ya find.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 10:42 AM
JKowners Vendor

A dual-cardan drive-shaft will require a different pinion angle. Do you have adjustable rear control arms?

Maybe try removing the rear shaft and driving it in 4wd and see if it still shudders.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Rock God

My first thought was torque converter, then I read that the problem was not there until you upgraded the driveshafts. While it is certainly possible that the problem decided to coincidently show up at the same time as the driveshaft swap and is not related whatsoever.... the chances of that are fairly small.

I believe your method of ruling out the driveshafts was about as good as any but the one glaring point to me is that your issue happens at very specific RPM which is exactly what driveshaft issues like to do to show themselves.

My suggestion is to remove front shaft and reinstall stock rear shaft and see if problem still exist.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

Dkjeep is pointing you in the right direction. You may want to go out and buy a digital angle finder and check your pinion angles. If you went from a stock drive shaft to a double cardin drive shaft your pinion angle might be slightly off. Plenty of videos on how to check it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input, each of you have given me food for thought to zero in on the problem. Now that the 4th is behind us Iíve taken your advice and another step closer to pinpointing the problem.

This afternoon I removed the rear drive shaft and drove around town enough to warm things. The same shuttering was still there under the same conditions as stated in the past. The only difference was it seemed slightly less when driving in front wheel drive, probably related to different stresses on the drive train.

The tranny oil shows no signs of burning or dirt. But I will add based on one of your comments the tranny does shift strange at times, not very often, or ever time I go for a drive. When it does, it like a hard downshift when seemingly not needed or expected.

I think Iím as far as I can go with the input you guys provided.

Conclusion: No rear drive shaft and similar shuttering points at the tranny or more than likely the TC.

My next step will be getting a good tranny shop to check it out. I live in Big Bear, a mountain top haven for jeeping. I'll be out of town for a couple weeks and will have it looked at when I get back.

I'll post up again when I get some feedback from the trans guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode