PSC High Flow Pump Kit 2010 JKUR - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Blakspire
  • 1 Post By Blakspire
  • 1 Post By Blakspire
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Blakspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews
PSC High Flow Pump Kit 2010 JKUR

I was on my third factory power steering pump, which started leaking. So it was decided to stop being cheap and go with an aftermarket pump which would be far better suited for the eventual hydro assist that I will be running. EDIT: All pictures lost, sorry guys. I will include links to every part I ordered at the end.

I had two options:

1. AGR pump and reservoir
2. PSC High Flow Pump Kit

Both of them were roughly the same cost, but the PSC was sold in kit form including a belt and idler pulley. Also, having the smaller pulley on the pump would increase the performance of the steering down low in the RPM range, a nice stop gap between stock and hydro assist.

Here is a basic timeline/write-up of install, including discussions with PSC.

Goals:
High Flow Pump
Serviceable hydraulic line for pressure and return
Cooler

Day One:
Instructions are for suckers, so I went about pulling the air box, factory power steering pump, and reservoir. With the kit laid down in front of me I located the reservoir bracket which I couldn't get to line up with anything. A quick search on PSC's site indicated the bracket I was shipped was for the TJ/YJ/XJ. I verified the kit was the proper kit and sure enough "07-11 JK" was printed on the box. I decided that was enough for the day.

Day Two:
Contacted PSC, sent them pictures of the bracket, and had a chat about instructions. They confirmed that it was the wrong bracket, told me that the universal bracket that was included was all I needed, and to use instructions for the ram assist install for location of reservoir. On 07-11 JKs PSC recommends mounting the reservoir on the battery box, directly above the passenger side manifold. This raised a few alarms, as they have updated their reservoir design. The new reservoir is far larger than the old reservoir (as far as I can tell from the pictures on the instructions) so large, in fact, that the hoses are within 6" of the manifold and the added weight caused the battery box to distort slightly. Far from a solid install IMO. I called PSC back and requested the bracket for a 12-18 mounting location, which they sent free of charge. UPDATE: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aoRg7H4no7Z2awME9

Day Three:
With the bracket in hand I mount the reservoir and test fit the air box. The reservoir fits, but the fittings don't clear. I ended up using a 3/4" JIC Male x #12 SAE/ORB Male 45° for the pump supply and a 3/8" JIC Male x #8 SAE/ORB Male 90° for the return line. I attached the push-locks that came with the kit to the JIC fittings which will enable me to remove the reservoir without cutting hose. If you decide to go this route, it takes some fidgeting with angles to get everything right. It will fit though, so be patient.

Day four:
Hoses and system fittings came in. The JIC adapters I utilized for the pump and gearbox were purchased from Summit. These allow standard hydraulic JIC fittings to be attached. Pump pressure and gearbox return are -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male while the gearbox pressure is -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 O-Ring . For the high pressure line itself I utilized 3/8" SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose , for the pump fitting I used a 45° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female, and for the gearbox side I used a 90° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female. These are reusable fittings which was nice because I hooked the pump side fitting, routed the hose directly to the box and marked the exact length I needed. Very clean final install. Use an angle grinder to cut this hose, I attempted a hacksaw, and I would still be there if I kept that plan.

Day five:
With the pressure side hooked up, I shifted my attention to the return side. First things first, I needed to mount the cooler, which was a Derale 13263 Dual-Pass Heat Sink Cooler Kit, 12. Looking back, I should have just bought the bare cooler, since I ended up buying new lines and fittings anyway. One thing I didn't notice with the cooler when I bought it, was that it is a dual pass, which means the inlet and outlet are on the same side so the standard in on the driver side, out on the passenger side wont work here. I just oriented it so inlet/outlet were on passenger side. To physically mount it, I welded some tabs to the cross-member in front of the radiator, drilled, tapped to 1/4"-20 and used grade 8 hardware for mounting. Return hose from gearbox to cooler was 3/8" Black PUSH-LOCK Hose ,gearbox return fitting was a 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 3/8" JIC Female Swivel 90° cooler fittings were both 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 1/4" NPTF Male Pipe. These fittings do not need hose clamps, they aren't standard barbed fittings. A little dab of power steering fluid on the fitting prior to installing the hose will go a long way.

After completing install, I blew a little air through the gearbox to help get rid of any residual ATF +4 and used the recommended SWEPCO 715 power steering fluid to bleed the system. There is still some ATF+4 in the system. I'm going to run it, its very diluted.

INTIIAL impressions:

At idle it turned aired down 35" Toyos on textured concrete without a problem. The engine actually loads up when the steering gets heavy.

Conclusion:
The hardest part of this project was the parts research. I did my best to include hyperlinks to everything I purchased. When I get home tonight I will make another attempt at pictures.



Parts and links:
Kit: 2007-2011 Jeep JK 3.8 XD Steering Pump Kit
Reservoir to pump supply fitting: 3/4" JIC Male x #12 SAE/ORB Male 45°
Return to reservoir fitting: 3/8" JIC Male x #8 SAE/ORB Male 90°
Gearbox Pressure JIC adapter: -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 O-Ring
Pump pressure and gearbox return JIC adapter: -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male
Pressure hose: 3/8" SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose
Gearbox pressure fitting: 90° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female
Pump pressure fitting: 45° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female
Cooler: Derale 13263 Dual-Pass Heat Sink Cooler Kit, 12
Return hose: 3/8" Black PUSH-LOCK Hose
Gearbox return fitting: 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 3/8" JIC Female Swivel 90°
Cooler Fittings: 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 1/4" NPTF Male Pipe

Last edited by Blakspire; 07-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Blakspire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Feedback: 0 reviews

This is a nice write up. Good to know it’s not a straight bolt in.
Dnorton is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,921
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
re: PSC High Flow Pump Kit 2010 JKUR

man , Blakspire ; this is great write-up!

It also couldn't - for me - have come at a better time since I have this kit as-well-as the ram and other stuff for going hydraulic assisted on my 2011.


so, could you possibly upload an image or two of your end-results and location of reservoir to imgur then paste them into a reply here? I would sure like to see these JIC 3/4" fittings hooked-up to the PSC angled reservoir fitting & all tucked up and installed.


great post and thanks again!







To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,921
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakspire View Post
I was on my third factory power steering pump, which started leaking. So it was decided to stop being cheap and go with an aftermarket pump which would be far better suited for the eventual hydro assist that I will be running. EDIT: All pictures lost, sorry guys. I will include links to every part I ordered at the end.

I had two options:

1. AGR pump and reservoir
2. PSC High Flow Pump Kit

Both of them were roughly the same cost, but the PSC was sold in kit form including a belt and idler pulley. Also, having the smaller pulley on the pump would increase the performance of the steering down low in the RPM range, a nice stop gap between stock and hydro assist.

Here is a basic timeline/write-up of install, including discussions with PSC.

Goals:
High Flow Pump
Serviceable hydraulic line for pressure and return
Cooler

Day One:
Instructions are for suckers, so I went about pulling the air box, factory power steering pump, and reservoir. With the kit laid down in front of me I located the reservoir bracket which I couldn't get to line up with anything. A quick search on PSC's site indicated the bracket I was shipped was for the TJ/YJ/XJ. I verified the kit was the proper kit and sure enough "07-11 JK" was printed on the box. I decided that was enough for the day.

Day Two:
Contacted PSC, sent them pictures of the bracket, and had a chat about instructions. They confirmed that it was the wrong bracket, told me that the universal bracket that was included was all I needed, and to use instructions for the ram assist install for location of reservoir. On 07-11 JKs PSC recommends mounting the reservoir on the battery box, directly above the passenger side manifold. This raised a few alarms, as they have updated their reservoir design. The new reservoir is far larger than the old reservoir (as far as I can tell from the pictures on the instructions) so large, in fact, that the hoses are within 6" of the manifold and the added weight caused the battery box to distort slightly. Far from a solid install IMO. I called PSC back and requested the bracket for a 12-18 mounting location, which they sent free of charge.

Day Three:
With the bracket in hand I mount the reservoir and test fit the air box. The reservoir fits, but the fittings don't clear. I ended up using a 3/4" JIC Male x #12 SAE/ORB Male 45° for the pump supply and a 3/8" JIC Male x #8 SAE/ORB Male 90° for the return line. I attached the push-locks that came with the kit to the JIC fittings which will enable me to remove the reservoir without cutting hose. If you decide to go this route, it takes some fidgeting with angles to get everything right. It will fit though, so be patient.

Day four:
Hoses and system fittings came in. The JIC adapters I utilized for the pump and gearbox were purchased from Summit. These allow standard hydraulic JIC fittings to be attached. Pump pressure and gearbox return are -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male while the gearbox pressure is -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 O-Ring . For the high pressure line itself I utilized 3/8" SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose , for the pump fitting I used a 45° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female, and for the gearbox side I used a 90° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female. These are reusable fittings which was nice because I hooked the pump side fitting, routed the hose directly to the box and marked the exact length I needed. Very clean final install. Use an angle grinder to cut this hose, I attempted a hacksaw, and I would still be there if I kept that plan.

Day five:
With the pressure side hooked up, I shifted my attention to the return side. First things first, I needed to mount the cooler, which was a Derale 13263 Dual-Pass Heat Sink Cooler Kit, 12. Looking back, I should have just bought the bare cooler, since I ended up buying new lines and fittings anyway. One thing I didn't notice with the cooler when I bought it, was that it is a dual pass, which means the inlet and outlet are on the same side so the standard in on the driver side, out on the passenger side wont work here. I just oriented it so inlet/outlet were on passenger side. To physically mount it, I welded some tabs to the cross-member in front of the radiator, drilled, tapped to 1/4"-20 and used grade 8 hardware for mounting. Return hose from gearbox to cooler was 3/8" Black PUSH-LOCK Hose ,gearbox return fitting was a 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 3/8" JIC Female Swivel 90° cooler fittings were both 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 1/4" NPTF Male Pipe. These fittings do not need hose clamps, they aren't standard barbed fittings. A little dab of power steering fluid on the fitting prior to installing the hose will go a long way.

After completing install, I blew a little air through the gearbox to help get rid of any residual ATF +4 and used the recommended SWEPCO 715 power steering fluid to bleed the system. There is still some ATF+4 in the system. I'm going to run it, its very diluted.

INTIIAL impressions:

At idle it turned aired down 35" Toyos on textured concrete without a problem. The engine actually loads up when the steering gets heavy.

Conclusion:
The hardest part of this project was the parts research. I did my best to include hyperlinks to everything I purchased. When I get home tonight I will make another attempt at pictures.



Parts and links:
Kit: 2007-2011 Jeep JK 3.8 XD Steering Pump Kit
Reservoir to pump supply fitting: 3/4" JIC Male x #12 SAE/ORB Male 45°
Return to reservoir fitting: 3/8" JIC Male x #8 SAE/ORB Male 90°
Gearbox Pressure JIC adapter: -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 O-Ring
Pump pressure and gearbox return JIC adapter: -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male
Pressure hose: 3/8" SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose
Gearbox pressure fitting: 90° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female
Pump pressure fitting: 45° 3/8" Hose x 3/8" JIC Female
Cooler: Derale 13263 Dual-Pass Heat Sink Cooler Kit, 12
Return hose: 3/8" Black PUSH-LOCK Hose
Gearbox return fitting: 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 3/8" JIC Female Swivel 90°
Cooler Fittings: 3/8" PUSH-LOCK x 1/4" NPTF Male Pipe


@Blakspire
i re- read this & wanted to ask (since you can’t upload an image and post url here ) & make sure that what you’re describing was making disconnectable hoses to the pump and that on a pre-2012 model , you mounted the big PSC reservoir in where the recommended location is on a 2012 and newer location?
I presume you had something setup like pictured here but w detachable hoses? Do you have a cold air intake ?





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-30-2018 at 03:02 PM.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Blakspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post




@Blakspire
i re- read this & wanted to ask (since you can’t upload an image and post url here ) & make sure that what you’re describing was making disconnectable hoses to the pump and that on a pre-2012 model , you mounted the big PSC reservoir in where the recommended location is on a 2012 and newer location?
I presume you had something setup like pictured here but w detachable hoses? Do you have a cold air intake ?



Sorry for the late reply! I was getting married and stuff. I updated the post with a link to the image of the reservoir. I have the factory intake with snorkel, its tight, but it fits. Hopefully this answers your question!
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Blakspire is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,921
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakspire View Post
Sorry for the late reply! I was getting married and stuff. I updated the post with a link to the image of the reservoir. I have the factory intake with snorkel, its tight, but it fits. Hopefully this answers your question!
thanks for doing that .
Congratulations on getting married and stuff!




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Blakspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

thanks for doing that .
Congratulations on getting married and stuff!


<a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/jeep2.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Jeep2" >:-)</a>
No problem! Took some snapshots of the rest of the system.
Attached Images
         
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Blakspire is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,921
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Thumbs up

this REALLY helped me out to see these images.

I cannot believe you managed to squeeze that reservoir in that location. Well-done , man.

I don’t know if I have it in me to customize the fittings and location that much or not. I got a bunch of Heatshield Products thermal sleeves and lava tubes to take care of the heat from having reservoir above manifold but seeing this rekindled my interest in trying this ... I also have a big B&M cooler in front of my rad that makes the oil cooler for PSC system super tight fit behind grill where yours is mounted . Sigh...oh well, I gotta do it so this is again just awesome of you to share these.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
Blakspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 50
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
this REALLY helped me out to see these images.

I cannot believe you managed to squeeze that reservoir in that location. Well-done , man.

I don’t know if I have it in me to customize the fittings and location that much or not. I got a bunch of Heatshield Products thermal sleeves and lava tubes to take care of the heat from having reservoir above manifold but seeing this rekindled my interest in trying this ... I also have a big B&M cooler in front of my rad that makes the oil cooler for PSC system super tight fit behind grill where yours is mounted . Sigh...oh well, I gotta do it so this is again just awesome of you to share these.


<a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/jeep2.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Jeep2" >:-)</a>
I'm happy I could help! Now that its all said and done, I'm happy I went with hydraulic hose and fittings. You can service everything on the trail and parts are easy to come by.
Blakspire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome