JKOwners Forum banner

Waterproofing an auto JK

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RedRock0740 
#1 ·
I just bought a new JK (3.6L and auto - 2018). I have had a manual trans 2007 for about 9 years. I extended the t-case breather tube and the front and rear axle breather tubes. I have never had any problems with water (deepest I went was about 3 feet) On the new 2018 I've already did the axle breathers. Is the t-case breather in the same location as early JKs (between the engine and firewall)? Also, what has to be done to the auto trans (is there a breather tube or any holes to plug up to keep water out)? On a buddys TJ we pulled the pump and welded that vent closed and drilled/tapped the case to run a breather out the top. Hopefully this does not have to be done to the W5A580. Any input appreciated.

#4 ·
Finally got a chance to start working on the new JK. On mine (2018), the t-case vent is in the same place it has been since 2007, between the engine and firewall. As for the auto trans, it has it's own vent and it is already extended all the way up to the top of the engine next to the intake. I extended the t-case vent to this same location. I don't see anywhere that water could get in to the transmission. Hopefully I'm not overlooking another vent, hole, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.