3Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx
  • 1 Post By ALASHA
  • 1 Post By Treader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Multi-point harness

Hey. I’m about to go somewhere with a real risk of rolling. I was thinking of replacing my stock seat belts with a multi-point harness.
I’ve searched this forum but the conversations are all very old. Does nobody do this anymore? Any advice?
Thanks

My never ending build log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Look up how to cancel the chime from the stock seatbelt not being there.

I know that there are some threads on here on homemade mounts that go to the seat bolts in the back for the lap belt.

What are you going to mount the shoulder mounts to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No idea. I was looking at the corbeau 3 point system but haven’t come to any conclusions. I do know that I don’t want to weld a bar behind the front seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Rock God

What do you mean by "multi-point harness".
Is it the kind that will keep you upright? That could be bad if you don't have a good roll cage.
Be aware the straps over your shoulders must be mounted such that they won't compress your spine in a frontal crash. That may mean you have to have a bar behind the seat.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was thinking that if I'm going to be hanging upside down the stock seatbelt won't be sufficient so maybe one of those fancy over the shoulder ones that racing car drivers use would be handy. They seem to come in 3, 4 and 5 point anchors. I saw a nice 3 point that also had a retractor on it that looked cool
https://corbeau.com/other/harness-be...ness-belt.html

My Jeep is my commute car for 90% of it's life and offload for 10% so whatever I do has to be practical, which is why I don't want to weld and anchor bar behind the driver.

As for rollers, I just have the stock ones that come with the 2016 JKU Hardtop.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I feel like if you are going to run a trail where the possibility of rollover is high and you are doing it in a DD you have much larger things to worry about than a multi point harness...

post #7 of 18 Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^this X2

you could ‘cheap-out’ & if you’re just deadset upon this sojourn into the realm of possible topsy-turvy-dome, there’s a manufacturer of aftermarket stuff called Rockhard4x4 that makes bolt/clamp in bars, cages , harness & c-pillar add ons, but these don’t qualify as viable lifesaving solutions too deeply around these parts.
If you’re actually hitting some manner of trail for which there is some fair to moderate chance you’re gonna flop your DD JKU, ya get one time to do so; after that, the crumple-Zone and sports-bars will be in the condition they were designed to be after such inversion = crushed.

You and occupants might be unscathed ; you might also be un-alive . The determination rests solely on chance. I have much seat time in Jeeps, the 4 door JK in particular. I know when to bypass and not follow the rigs w real cages & thus am living , at present, & can reply to your thread. If you go flip on the lid hard and if gravity positions your impact just right, you may not be able to do simple stuff like respond to this thread , due to brain damage.

You’ve been advised.
It’s your jeep and your life .

If you wanna wheel with added benefit of strappin in and surviving a flop , you’re advised to have a real cage and multipoint harness installed so we can continue to enjoy your posts.

But, Rockhard 4x4 has a bolt in harness bar .

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-22-2018 at 07:09 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-22-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OK, point well made. I've been in many rollovers in vehicles that were specifically made for it (part of the fun), but never in a jeep. It never occurred to me that the rollbar was a crush zone. I"ll stay away.

Thanks for saving my life ;-)

post #9 of 18 Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

sorry for being heavy -worded ; we just enjoy our forum members & fellow Jeepers enough to let anyone know . I don't think FCA designed the Sport Bar as only a " crumple zone" ,solely , but we have seen enough imsges such as these* to have a general consensus that placing your life or your pssgr lives in the hands of the factory structure is less than prident . Real cages become a vital upgrade once you begin to really wheel a JK/JKU.

post rollover of Wrangler JK...

post #10 of 18 Old 06-25-2018, 05:51 AM
Rock God

DISCLAIMER: I have the Rock Hard Cage in my jeep.

In my opinion, the Rock Hard cage is life saving device. I do not think it is a jeep saving device. I do not intend for mine to make the jeep usable after a roll. I prefer that I be usable. That being said, the corners that are crushed, wouldn't be as crushed with a rock hard cage. It is definitely not a racing cage.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Rock God

This would be a fun place to have “roll over” defined.

I’m a 25+ year full time Paramedic, and have seen many “roll over” labeled crashes.

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference in a slow speed flop to the side or roof, vs a highway/ high speed multiple rolls “roll over”.

My guess is that we are talking about low speed “flops” here, and not rolling 4,5, 6 times at highway speeds or better?
post #12 of 18 Old 06-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Rock God

@Pmedic920 Unless you roll 4, 5 or 6 times down the obstacle.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #13 of 18 Old 06-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
@Pmedic920 Unless you roll 4, 5 or 6 times down the obstacle.

Would not even begin to try and argue that, and I’m not trying to create any arguments.

Simply trying to point out that INHO, the level of protection varies depending on the type of “roll over” we are talking about.

I can’t and won’t speak for anyone else but I’d guess that the vast majority of us would experience the “flop” more often than the “high speed” multi rolls.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

this is about Jeeps and crawling; Having a 3.8l , even regeared , I cannot attest to ever having reached anything that could be considered a "High Speed" .

Maybe I should've used the word "inversion" .

You flop end-O over and upon the top of the Jeep or roll off a hill of rocks and that stock bar is gonna experience about the same type damage as your on-road , multi-barrel roll damage I would imagine; they both are not gonna be very purty for the occupants nor the "sportsbar" , although I know what you're differentiating @Pmedic920;

post #15 of 18 Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

holy crap that picture is bad. I was on the 280 once when a convertible JK flipped in front of me. The windscreen collapsed and the occupants were turned to soup. Fucking awful way to go. Not their fault either. Some shit head changed lanes and cut them up. Got the whole thing on my dash cam, and I happily turned the footage over to the cops.

And yes, I was talking about a nice slow, easy flop. But now I don't want to do that either.

thanks for scaring me sensible.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-02-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzer502 View Post
holy crap that picture is bad. I was on the 280 once when a convertible JK flipped in front of me. The windscreen collapsed and the occupants were turned to soup. Fucking awful way to go. Not their fault either. Some shit head changed lanes and cut them up. Got the whole thing on my dash cam, and I happily turned the footage over to the cops.

And yes, I was talking about a nice slow, easy flop. But now I don't want to do that either.

thanks for scaring me sensible.
Whats a convertible JK?

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yup. It looked like nothing higher than the hood survived.

post #18 of 18 Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzer502 View Post
yup. It looked like nothing higher than the hood survived.
Yikes

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode