2015 JKU - ESC, TC, ABS, typical tom foolery - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

2015 JKU - ESC, TC, ABS, typical tom foolery

Little back info: I lifted the 2015 with an RK 2.5" kit on 35's. Everything was replaced except the arms are factory. Has been this way for a few months with zero issues, except the damn factory 3.21's were sucking.

Last week I decided to swap my 4.10 axles from the wrecked 07 into her (Terra44 front, stock rear). The Terra44 did take the impact on the passenger side, but everything I could do to check it all out showed me the axle was good to go.

And now I have traction control fuckery when taking off until about 20mph***. Seems to be the worst when turning right and taking off (like pulling out of driveway onto road). After the jeep gets above that 20-25mph shit the dash just yells FU, the ABS, Swerving light, and Hill Decent lights flash for a few seconds then go solid and she drives just fine. After driving for about 30 more seconds, the dash lights all turn off. Next stop sign I come to the process repeats.

I've recentered the axle with the adjustable RK track bar. I've recentered the wheel a few times with the Procal. Still no fix. In my 07 when I had a failed speed sensor I would get a code for implausible wheel speed input or something like that. Pulling codes now doesn't have anything like that.

For shits and giggles though, I replaced the 07 rear wheel speed sensors with the ones from the '15 rear axle but didn't have time to retest it last night. My buddy is bringing his SnapOn scan tool so we can monitor-live the system and see if we can't see an irradic wheel speed sensor.
Being that the front passenger side took the hit that totaled my 07 I'm betting that hub's tone ring is fuckered, or I may have damaged the sensor when swapping the axles.

*** when I start up from a stop and/or making a right turn from a stop (stoplight, stop sign, etc), the traction control will kick in and I can't move. After about 10 seconds or I make it to that 20-25mph mark the lights all kick in and I can drive again. If I'm making a left turn from a stop I don't have an issue the couple times I tried it.

Just about all threads on this subject where someone asks about pretty much the same shit is never followed up with a fix... so I don't have high hopes asking here, but figured it's worth a shot.
So other than what I've done, and what I'm planning to monitor tonight, is there any other suggestions on what to look for? Everything is torqued, everything is centered. Its completely centered around my swapping of axles so I'm pretty sure it has to be speed sensor related, the front ones just suck as they require swapping the unit bearings to fix that, so hopefully monitoring their signal will be a smoking gun.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm also debating just turning ESC completely off, but this thread makes it sound like it probably won't be possible with a 2015? I guess I can install a switch if needed.
ESC bypass

Then again These Guys' article is from 2017.

5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Rock God

I fucking hate that nanny shit and was glad to do the steering wheel dance. I, though, have a 2010 where it works like a charm. Have you tried disengaging the hill start assist (if you have a 6speed)?

I have no real dog in this fight and I'll leave it to the pro's. Good luck and oh again, I hate the nanny shit.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yah, the more I think on this the more I reason with myself its a wheel speed sensor, I just don't know which one. But the more I think about it, the more I get paranoid that it's something else. The Terra44 does have the raised steering locations and stuff, but I've gone through and recentered it all on the '15.

The 07 had the implausible speed signal code and christmas tree dash, but it fucking drove fine. I had found the rear wiring to be pinched and I fixed that, but assumed it wasn't a clean fix since the code persisted. Never had the traction control fight me though, ever. This '15 is completely opposite.

It's the wife's DD, so she doesn't want to see any dash lights. Can't blame her. If it were me though, I'd install the kill switch and live on.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Wheeler

Front sensors can be changed without changing unit bearings.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sorry, what I meant was the tone ring. If its the issue, the unit bearing needs swapped. The sensors for the front are still the '15, so unless I damaged one pulling them they should be fine. That passenger side unit bearing is suspect, though it feels tight and makes no noise.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Wheeler

Swap out sensor, if problem persists change whole bearing. If it fixes it you rule out tone ring concerns, nice to know if spares are good or not.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Added to the list of things to try! Hopefully I can scan and drive and nail it down without swapping out the sensor at all.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So, swapping out the rear sensors to the known good ones from the '15 helped, but is not a 100% cure.
While running the SnapOn scan tool we saw the input from the right rear drop out a couple times, and each time the traction control kicked in very briefly. Not nearly as bad as it was the day before. Turning right, or accelerating straight from a stop, she'll engage the traction control at about 5mph just once and that's it now. If I gingerly turn right or accelerate straight from a stop she's fine.

In that rear axle I have 10Factory axles that I ordered through Marcus and had the tone ring/bearings pre pressed on. Only thing I can think of right now is the tone ring is not exactly where it needs to be and I produce a situation where the sensor doesn't pick up a tooth. Using the old sensors may have exacerbated that problem if the one was dead, but I wasn't going to swap them back to test.

For tech sake, we did an ABS module reset through the SnapOn tool and it didn't help. We did notice though that the more we drove it around last night logging the sensors the better it seemed to get and the less often it wanted to engage traction control from a stop. And then, as soon as we unplugged the scan tool, it would engage as I described above.

The front speed sensors never skipped a beat.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode