Newbie Rubi D44 Front Axle - ring ear bolts - please help! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Rubi D44 Front Axle - ring gear bolts - please help!

I got myself a good deal on a J8 housing and some Rubicon guts. I have a used Rubi E-Locker carrier which came with 3.73 gears that I'm swapping over to Yukon 5.13s while installing in my new housing.

I went to put the ring gear on, and the ring gear bolts I got from Yukon will not thread through the carrier. Is this common? Should I be reaming out the bolt holes, or am I missing something here? I'm nervous, because I already got one wrong part in this Yukon master build kit (the pinion tail bearing, which a replacement is on its way.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by psychlow; 06-19-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Title correction - "gear", not "ear"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

hello stranger.
Not knowing you from a ground squirrel, it is tough to make any accurate guess as-to your familiarity with this new Internets thing, but I was able to find information on your question - approx 527 results in about 0.44 seconds by using this thing they call Google and searching this site for "ring gear bolt size" .

I hope that helps you, Needful Stranger!

( The first support is free ; afterwards, we charge incredibly fair hourly rates for service requests from strangers. Our Welcome Room is a fantastic way to introduce yourself and not come across as a stranger nor a taker...)

Rb6700 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

j3ff3ry_j33p - Defiitely not new to the internets. But, feelin' a bit like I walked into a bar in a dusty old town - "We don't take kindly to strangers 'round here..."

I posted an introduction in the Welcome forum.

I appreciate the reply.... and I did use the search, before taking the time to register and ask. I get a lot of results for ring gear bolt size, but none that seem to answer my specific question. Some have mentioned having to do bore out the carrier with Eaton lockers in the past, and I know there are instances where you need to do it with an ARB. But for a stock carrier, with what should be stock bolts - I just don't know if something is wrong there, especially since I've already gotten one part in this kit that's definitely wrong.

If you saw the answer in one of those posts, could I trouble you to link that post?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 AM
Wheeler

pictures , everyone loves pictures.

but from what i gather is the bolt diameter is too large to fit through the hole, thus making the ring gear threaded hole larger then the carrier through hole. you my friend have no choice but to 1- bore the current carrier(cheap option) or 2- buy the proper carrier for the job. 3- weld ring gear on and not even use bolts (my personal fave way of doing it).

hope this helps.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
hello stranger.
Not knowing you from a ground squirrel, it is tough to make any accurate guess as-to your familiarity with this new Internets thing, but I was able to find information on your question - approx 527 results in about 0.44 seconds by using this thing they call Google and searching this site for "ring gear bolt size" .

( The first support is free ; afterwards, we charge incredibly fair hourly rates for service requests from strangers. Our Welcome Room is a fantastic way to introduce yourself and not come across as a stranger nor a taker...)

He introduced himself in the welcome room and gave some backstory before he posted this.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
He introduced himself in the welcome room and gave some backstory before he posted this.
No, no - to be fair - this was my first post. I posted the intro after j3ff3ry_j33p's reply.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlow View Post
No, no - to be fair - this was my first post. I posted the intro after j3ff3ry_j33p's reply.
my bad @j3ff3ry_j33p I saw the welcome room post first and then this one...........thanks for correcting me
post #8 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Rock God

Sounds like j3ffr3yj33p is practicing to be a wal mod.....
post #9 of 14 Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
hello stranger.

That post reminds of Dancin Dan classics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #10 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
That post reminds of Dancin Dan classics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Alright, alright ....Iíll stop being a bloody 1 question , help-me beggar bashing a-hole.

Are ya sayin Iím on my way to banville, a la Dancin Dave antics ? I am not THAT bad. I donít think.

I canít b3 the only , grumpy old mofo in here that gets tired of single posts from new members only to ask for free advise, can I ?

@Jadmt is right. Iíll back-Off the crisis first posters.
Iíll also cut the just growing-out ,rat tail off.
Iíll cancel my order from EVO Mfg and stop raving about honey sweetened whiskey that tastes like cough syrup.
But you still better not use any of my videos or Iíll sue.

Sorry, @psychlow
welcome to jkowners

Texas_Jester likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-14-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, @psychlow
welcome to jkowners

Thank you, sir!

So, yes - for anyone who finds this post -

There ARE (at least) two different sizes.
1/2" x 15/16" (Too big for my carrier)
7/16" x 3/4" (Just right!)

I needed the 7/16". Rather than deal with my vendor and Yukon again, I think I'll just eat the $11 this time. All the other parts seem to be right... as far as I can tell. Fingers crossed, though.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Rock God

For what it's worth, I was once sent a carrier that had instructions to drill the holes out to 1/2" if that was the size bolt that your ring gear required.

Some gear sets these days are dual pattern for the 7/16 and 1/2 bolt sizes.

So in my opinion it's not a big deal to drill the carrier for the larger size bolt. Just be sure there are ZERO burs or metal poking up on the side that the gear seats on. I dont mean a little or a tiny bit is ok I mean ZERO edges higher than the seating surface.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
For what it's worth, I was once sent a carrier that had instructions to drill the holes out to 1/2" if that was the size bolt that your ring gear required.

So in my opinion it's not a big deal to drill the carrier for the larger size bolt. Just be sure there are ZERO burs or metal poking up on the side that the gear seats on. I dont mean a little or a tiny bit is ok I mean ZERO edges higher than the seating surface.
You should also always chamfer the edge of the hole to not give a stress point.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post

Yeah - my ARB locker says to do this in the instructions, if necessary - I expected that I may end up having to do it when I go to tackle the rear.

HOWEVER, I may have to go that route with the front now, anyway. The instructions I got from Yukon say to torque these bolts to 135 ft-lb, which seems like a lot to me since it used to be, what, 55 ft-lb on an old-school 44? But, I figure JKs are different....

The first bolt head slipped and chewed up quite a bit, even with a 6-point socket. Okay, figure that's probably my fault... I did get it torqued down, though. Second bolt didn't slip a bit, but completely sheared the threads off on half the bolt. Was able to work the bolt back out with a screwdriver, rubber mallet, and a lot of patience, but by that point, I figured I was going to call it a night. Haven't had a chance yet to tear it apart and see if it trashed the threads in the ring gear, but I'm betting they're not going to look very nice.

Looking around - in several places, I keep seeing that torque spec is 100 ft-lb on the 44/216. I think someone misread and put the N-m value (136).

Might just be a good idea to drill out the carrier anyway, and use the 1/2 inchers for some extra strength, I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode