Rubi D44 Front and Non Rubi D44 Rear Question? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Rubi D44 Front and Non Rubi D44 Rear Question?

Ok, so I have a 2011 JKU Auto running 35's currently. I am looking to get a crate Rubi D44 and swap to 5.38 gears. I also want to put Eaton Truetracs in both the front and rear. My question is, I was told that the Rubi D44 front and the Non-Rubi D44 rear run the same Truetrac (DANA 44 30 SPLINE 3.73 AND DOWN) to be exact. Is this True? Would love to get some input before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to order an aftermarket axle, (Dynatrac, Teraflex, Curry) from somewhere like northridge4x4 assembled with the parts you want? The housings will be way stronger, and you can order the locker, gear ratio, ball joints etc.. If you get a rubi crate axle you have a weaker housing and still have to regear and purchase the TrueTrac. Also I'm sure you have your reasons, like snow and no rocks, but most here would take the rubi electronic locker over a truetrac.

2009 JKU
post #3 of 6 Old 06-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Rock God

Ya I'm very confused by this financially unless the crate axle is just about free (as in, less than $1500 because you could pick up a J8 axle + aftermarket axle shafts for that and have a better axle, the rest of the Rubicon crate axle is going to be thrown away, right?).

Anyways, the ring gear front and rear are different sizes between a Rubicon front and a rear (the rear is the same for Rubicon or not). I believe one is 8.8" and one is 8.5". So no I don't think these would have the same carrier/locker (although I'm not 100% sure for a fact). Edit, the more I think about this I'm not sure if that makes different carriers, but the ring gear is not the same size, maybe the rear gear just hangs further off the edge of the carrier?

Last edited by christensent; 06-09-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

My apologies, my plan is to go with a J8 axle so it will be new not a takeoff. I found one for $918 and plan to johnny cash that thing one piece at a time. And my reasoning is I live in Florida so no rocks only sand and mud so I believed the truetrac would be a better option. Also the way it was explained was a rubi d44 front and NON rubi d44 rear were the same carrier. So that is my cofusion.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Rock God

It looks like Eaton specifies different part numbers front vs. rear and says you can only use each in their correct position. If you for some reason want to use the same one I'd call them up and ask for compatibility details. Otherwise just order the right part number?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraven72 View Post
My question is, I was told that the Rubi D44 front and the Non-Rubi D44 rear run the same Truetrac (DANA 44 30 SPLINE 3.73 AND DOWN) to be exact. Is this True?
I'm with @christensent . I can't see this being right, or working. The carrier dimensions on Rubicons are metric. The carrier on non-Rubis are SAE.

For example, I know ARB has two different versions -
Non-Rubi: RD147
Rubi: RD157
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode