Old school one ton swap on 2012 Rubicon - some help needd - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALASHA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Old school one ton swap on 2012 Rubicon - some help needed

Trying to find more info online but coming empty handed so appreciate the help and ideas. Troubleshooting speed sensors after one ton swap.

Bear with me on the long write-up, but tried to detail as much as possible towards troubleshooting.

For background:

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 3.6 with Auto transmission
Axles:
Front - 1979 Ford D60 HP – Detroit and 5.38 gears
Rear – 1970’s Chevy 14 bolt axle (smooth bottom) with disc brake conversion using front chevy ¾ calipers. Detroit locker and 5.38 gears, VKS tone rings

I swapped these axles from my 2010 JK which run without issues. My understanding is the 12 and up JKs are a bity more electronic finicky comparted to older JKs. 2011 and older only need two wheel speed sensors to keep the Jeep happy and drivable (speedo, partial ABS, traction control stuff). The 12 and up seem to require at least 3 wheel speed sensors to keep the computer and tranny happy otherwise they go into “limp mode”, only allowing second gear forward.

Progress so far:
-Right after the swap, only two rear axle sensors, Jeep in limp mode. I used a Superchip Flashcal (Procal would not have arrived in time) to program tire size and gear ratio, clear all codes etc.
-I wired the two front sensor wires to the back wheels as the front axle does not have tone rings
-I then added two additional wheel speed sensors so the rear axle now has 2 speed sensors per side

The current configuration is:

LF (driver left front) wired to independent sensor on rear axle by LR (driver rear)
RF (passenger right front) wired to independent sensor on rear axle next to LR (passenger rear)

I drove the car, gears are shifting, however ABS light and EPS come up. EPS may be due to not have fully aligned steering wheel straight yet.
Scan shows the following codes:

U140A – Implausible Right Front wheel speed signal received
C1015 – Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

I have rechecked all the wiring and the sensors. I swapped the connectors on the right\passenger side between the sensors (front and rear). Swapping them I come with the issue as being the back sensor. So that lets me conclude the sensors are good, and the issue would likely be wiring harness to the sensor.
I rechecked the harness for continuity, all looks good. I also tried changing the polarity to see if that would make any difference, no change. I also played with adjusting the air gaps between the sensor and tone ring. As

So I am still a bit puzzled I am also wondering if the Detroit could be the culprit? The “implausible” signal does not seem an indication the sensor or connections are bad, but maybe because all sensors are picking up the wheels speeding at the same exact speed could that be the issue?

I am curious if crossing the sensors moving the front right wiring to the left wheel and vice versa would improve anything?

Anyone else dealt with this stuff?

Thanks!

@jason mac @thedirtman @elusive @Invest2m4 @ALASHA @Tweak @Fusion 4x4 @ebp99si @Maertz @Artec @gt1guy @JK Vick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by geberhard; 06-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Wait when you swapped the connectors on right front to right rear, the error now says "Implausible Right REAR wheel speed signal received" ?

post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Alasha hi, I did a temporary swap between the right sensors front to rear to eliminate the possibility of a bad sensor. So swapping between them just changes the DTC, to rear but still pretty much the same issue

I may try running another wire from front to back just in case something is hooky with the wires. I am not sure if with having the Detroit there it could be causing an issue, but does not make much sense though, i.e. if someone swaps in VXRs or even has stock Rubi 44s and front and rear are locked the assumption is they will also generate the same speed and woudl trigger an error.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Im just making sure I understand this. When you swapped connectors, did the error code switch to the rear tire because that would indicate the sensor could be bad. If the error still reads front tire, then it could be harness or something more difficult to figure out
geberhard likes this.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Alasha thanks! To clarify, on the rear axle pass side, I have the two sensors. I swapped the wire connector between the two. That shifted the issue from the front right to rear right. So now the rear to wire connection seems to be the issue. I ordered another sensor just in case, after reading the thread from @elusive as it looks like he had something similar and a new sensor addressed it . Could be that one sensor is giving less ohms or something and they need to be close in range.

I also ordered a Bluetooth obd2 and will try the Torque Pro trick to spin by hand what should help verify if the air gap or signal is off ��

Wish me luck, I just want to get this one. Getting so freaking close to just want to build a full blown LS rig on a 1950s Willys frame and title and a JK body to stop dealing with all this crap lol ��

post #6 of 8 Old 06-08-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Some helpful stuff I am looking at:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jeepwrangle.../7c036e6e.html

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-...r-circuit.html

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modifi...-problems.html

post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quick update. Teh EPS disable should help in this case.For right now pulled fuse J6, and drivability has been great for a week. I have not dialed the ABS\wheel speed sensors further but centered steering wheel etc. Planning to wheel this week and fix stuff next week

post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Random Dude

Hey Gui,

I just saw this thread.

Since your problem moved with the sensor, not the harness, I'd bet that the one sensor or its positioning is the issue.

Glad you're up and running, hope the problem jumps right out at you when you dive back into "diagnostic time".

Oh, and . . . may your wheeling week be mechanically uneventful

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode