Engine/Oil Skid to work with Currie VXR60 Axles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Engine/Oil Skid to work with Currie VXR60 Axles

I recently installed Currie VXR60 axles and the JCR engine/oil skid will not work with it. The differential makes contact with the corner of the skid and mounting arm.

In the pic I circled where it is making contact. Anybody know of a skid that should work with my set up? (VXR60s with RK 3.5 lift)

I looked the Evo and it looks like they would work. However, strictly based upon pictures, I can't say that I am a huge fan of how the tranny skid runs up/over the exhaust cross over and the exhaust/cross member skid then is separate to cover the cross over pipe which creates a "ledge" if you will that can either catch on something or hold mud. Not a solid/flat belly pan. It may no be a big deal, but I'm just not sure on it.

Artec may or may not work. Don't know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

3.6 or 3.8? I have a non vxr Currie but I think the some of the main differences are webbing and tube size. I run a Skid Row skid on my 3.8.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
3.6 or 3.8? I have a non vxr Currie but I think the some of the main differences are webbing and tube size. I run a Skid Row skid on my 3.8.
Mine's a '13 JKU so its the 3.6.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
Have you looked at the M.O.R.E. skid? https://www.extremeterrain.com/more-...jk-jkopsp.html
May work. Looks like it isn't as wide and the mounts aren't as wide either. If they made contact, seems they would be easier to modify.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Those VXR are bad ass. where did you pick them up at? Also are you planning on doing any extra maintenance or checkups to see whats going on with the load bolt?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Those VXR are bad ass. where did you pick them up at? Also are you planning on doing any extra maintenance or checkups to see whats going on with the load bolt?
I got them back around Christmas time and there was a good sale going on. Got them through KrawlOff-Road.com. Took some time to get all parts round up to go with them and get them installed so I've only been running them for about 2 months.

I haven't had or noticed any issues so I can't say that I have any immediate plans regarding the load bolt.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

I like my Clayton skid plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
post #9 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
Have you looked at the M.O.R.E. skid? https://www.extremeterrain.com/more-...jk-jkopsp.html

just a promo - shoutout re: these skids from M.O.R.E.; I run the engine/trans skid together w their xfer case skid & those two have more than paid for themselves, multiple times over. Superb quality & can take some very heavy abuse. I don’t have prograde axles like the OP but if they’ll work, you’ll be pleased. They are also pretty responsive to tech questions if you call or social media them. I’d ask about fitment w your Currie housings...

Alternately, couldn’t you just run some smaller profile oilpan skid like River Raider or EVO ?

post #10 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

Time to start cutting and break out the welder...
What I had to do on mine to clear the PR60
Attached Images

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #11 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Time to start cutting and break out the welder...
What I had to do on mine to clear the PR60
That looks like the River Raider skid. I looked at their unit for my year model and, like the M.O.R.E. unit, it is more narrow than the JCR and may work or require less modification.

I wish I could really get a more definitive idea on this so that I would get another skid and it require alot of work to make it work.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Currie has shop rigs that they wheel - maybe call them up and ask what they use? I have a 3.6 friend installing a vxr in about 6 weeks and am interested in how this turns out.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #13 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Currie has shop rigs that they wheel - maybe call them up and ask what they use? I have a 3.6 friend installing a vxr in about 6 weeks and am interested in how this turns out.
I have checked with Currie and according to my source, John Currie doesn't run any skids. I do believe they have a blue JKU that has Artec skids but I am not sure about the total set up. I think it runs a 4" lift so there may lay some of the clearance difference.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I exchanged messages with BosRacing on facebook and they said they are running Artec skids with Currie VXR60s with RK 3.5 long arm suspension. I would think it would work with my set up (Currie VXR60s and RK 3.5 mid arm) as well. Shouldn't it?
post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I ordered the Rock Hard skid for long arm suspension. Buddy of mine had one with a Dana Spicer 60 and it cleared. I will let you know when I get it installed.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i was thinking about this yesterday and if OP cant modify the JCR to work (?) , maybe look to something alternate to it that is easier to nip or trim .

I noticed Quadratec now has a line of aluminum skids that might be easier to trim out clearance for the Currie just a thought.

I came to that because I noticed that the GenRight JKU - the yellow one - has those axles but since it has more lift and the Elite coilover ber-suspen$ion it has a cool , aluminum bellypan .

Plus, those big housings have that skid built in ...Id think Id try the Quadratec engine oil pan and cut away any interfering bits .....or, mortgage the house and buy that whole suspension to have a flat belly like TerraMoto *obligatory earth tremble* and not worry about this stuff.

Again, just wondered what Id consider if in same situation ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode