PSC pump help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marine01
  • 1 Post By dalearyous

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

PSC pump help

I am installing the PSC hydro ram assist steering in my 2016 JKU.

I ordered the complete kit from Northridge4x4 and I believe the pump I received is wrong. Every video I have watched shows a threaded piece for the hoses to thread on. The hoses they sent me have threaded ends on them....however the pump doesnít have that.

Does this pump look right to you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I canít call Northridge4x4 until Monday as they are closed. I installed everything else; gear box, ram, and reservoir but and holding off on the pump until I find out if itís correct.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #3 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Is there a bracket for the pump? That fitting is for the alum reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
Is there a bracket for the pump? That fitting is for the alum reservoir.

Yes, bracket is installed in that photo and itís mounted on the engine.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #5 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Wheeler

The pump should have two connections. The large connector is for the reservoir. The inlet is for your high pressure out line. If you ordered the high volume high pressure line then it comes with a threaded connector for your pump. If you didnít order the high volume line then your stock hard pressure line threads into the pump. Itís hard to tell the orientation from your pics, but the large reservoir inlet should be pointing up since itís a gravity feed system. You want the reservoir directly above the pump if possible.

Make sure you take your time on all the connections. The proper way to torque -AN fittings is to bottom them out then go 1.5 flats more ( each wrench side is a flat ).

Good luck!
post #6 of 18 Old 05-19-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruz16 View Post
The pump should have two connections. The large connector is for the reservoir. The inlet is for your high pressure out line. If you ordered the high volume high pressure line then it comes with a threaded connector for your pump. If you didnít order the high volume line then your stock hard pressure line threads into the pump. Itís hard to tell the orientation from your pics, but the large reservoir inlet should be pointing up since itís a gravity feed system. You want the reservoir directly above the pump if possible.

Make sure you take your time on all the connections. The proper way to torque -AN fittings is to bottom them out then go 1.5 flats more ( each wrench side is a flat ).

Good luck!

Thanks!! I was trying to put the connectors on the pump.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #7 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I got the pump, reservoir, and gear box all installed. Thanks for the tips...all thatís left is to connect the hoses from gear box to ram and bleed the system :-)

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #8 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

once complete, please share as many images as you feel like. Many of us, well, some of us...er...I am about to do this and every image helps.
'glad you got yours sorted-out; are you not going to run an inline cooler? I hear it is a very sound idea to do so.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

You'll love it when it's done. Very happy with mine

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

08 JK Rubicon 2 dr|2.5Ē Teraflex lift|Teraflex bumpers with tire carrier|ACE rock sliders| 35Ē GY MTR/K with 17Ē Procomp 7005|CAI|Magnaflow exhaust
post #10 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
once complete, please share as many images as you feel like. Many of us, well, some of us...er...I am about to do this and every image helps.

'glad you got yours sorted-out; are you not going to run an inline cooler? I hear it is a very sound idea to do so.

I hate to admit it, I planned to video this but I got almost no video and very few pictures. I will try to make a video to show where I put everything, how it went together, and some tips I learned the hard way.

I can tell you fishing the gear box out was fun ;-) itís heavy and difficult to get out with the axle, spring and shock in the way.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
You'll love it when it's done. Very happy with mine

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I hope so!! I had this on my 2007 JKU and it sure made turning easy

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Do yourself a favor and have some high pressure hoses made from the gearbox to the ram. If I remember the hoses that come with the kit are only rated at 3000 psi, I hade some made that are 5000 psi and are crimped on instead of the DIY connections from PSC. I think mine cost about 100 bucks for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine01 View Post
I hate to admit it, I planned to video this but I got almost no video and very few pictures. I will try to make a video to show where I put everything, how it went together, and some tips I learned the hard way.

I can tell you fishing the gear box out was fun ;-) it’s heavy and difficult to get out with the axle, spring and shock in the way.

you sure ain't lyin' about that!

That’s the one part of your install that I know all too well having busted my stock
steering gearbox a few years back, I replaced it with a PSC model already tapped with their snout for running hydraulic assist. I have those lines capped-off and am about to buy all the rest of the kit you got to complete the system ( I had some other mods that took precedence prior to assisted steering) .

The hardest install I’ve ever performed of this Jeep was getting that new box bench pressed up into its spot as I lie on driveway under front end. Ratchet straps & wife saved the day . Those are heavy and awkward to say the least.

Thanks for any additional info on yours.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-21-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finished it up!! I will try and get a video up to explain what I went through. BTW, get the hoses backwards and the. Switching them results in 2 quarts of fluid on my garage floor :-(

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #15 of 18 Old 05-22-2018, 05:27 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Do yourself a favor and have some high pressure hoses made from the gearbox to the ram. If I remember the hoses that come with the kit are only rated at 3000 psi, I hade some made that are 5000 psi and are crimped on instead of the DIY connections from PSC. I think mine cost about 100 bucks for both.
this! first time you have an issue with those crappy hoses on the trail you will wish you did this.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #16 of 18 Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Finished it up!! I will try and get a video up to explain what I went through. BTW, get the hoses backwards and the. Switching them results in 2 quarts of fluid on my garage floor :-(

this picture is far more awesome since the catch-container is sitting there immediately behind the awesome smelling fluid on the garage floor..

Thanks for sharing. Nice looking hose fittings! Where’d you have them made?

Man, I can’t wait to have this on my rig.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
this picture is far more awesome since the catch-container is sitting there immediately behind the awesome smelling fluid on the garage floor..

Thanks for sharing. Nice looking hose fittings! Whereíd you have them made?

Man, I canít wait to have this on my rig.

They came prebuilt from PSC.

I moved the catch pan back while putting the tire back on drivers side.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #18 of 18 Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
They came prebuilt from PSC.

I moved the catch pan back while putting the tire back on drivers side.

ah.
It just looked funny but Iíd have done the same when remounting the wheel/tire.

I guess those bein PSC hoses is reason that they look so well fit. I thought youíd had some made instead of the ones that came with= my bad.

Nice job, again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode