Steering for GR Elite and Dynatrac XD60 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rb6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering for GR Elite and Dynatrac XD60

Has an amazing weekend of wheeling at the JeepXperience Texas but discovered the tie rod that came with my XD60 is no bueno. We had several in the group go down with bent or broke tie rods with many running the ones that came with their Dynatrac axles.

I’m looking for some advice. I’m piecing the Elite kit together and would rather not buy something I’m going to completely throw away.

It looks like elite kit for Currie axles runs high steer but no picture of anyone running Dynatrac sand hi steer. Does high steer require trac bar to be relocated? Since it was an Evo event, most ran their high steer, any comments on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

'14 Anvil JKU Sportis all that's in my garage.
What would I know though...I'm just crawlin' at the mall.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrcruse View Post
Has an amazing weekend of wheeling at the JeepXperience Texas but discovered the tie rod that came with my XD60 is no bueno. We had several in the group go down with bent or broke tie rods with many running the ones that came with their Dynatrac axles.

Iím looking for some advice. Iím piecing the Elite kit together and would rather not buy something Iím going to completely throw away.

It looks like elite kit for Currie axles runs high steer but no picture of anyone running Dynatrac sand hi steer. Does high steer require trac bar to be relocated? Since it was an Evo event, most ran their high steer, any comments on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Had the tie rod that came with my PR60 bend on it's first trip out. They ended up covering it under warranty which was cool but naturally I'm worried about it bending again. I bought a spare from a friend for cheap to carry around. Not sure what direction I'll go if I bend it again. I saw an old link to a vendor selling a Synergy tie rod for Pro Rock 60's but apparently it was discontinued or something. I've had pretty good luck with Synergy.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Get something of the aluminum variety. Fusion or Rock Krawler. Worst case you may have to change the ends from offset to straight when you go high steer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

just to add-to @ALASHA 's aluminum options:

https://www.carolinametalmasters.com...oducts/tie-rod

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Maybe pick better lines. Are you running the aluminum knuckles?
Generally with some fab work and dual high steer arms you can raise the tie rod up quite a bit under the steer arms. High steer is just geometry, keep the links parallel and it may require you to move the track bar mount up if you need to.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

You say you are piecing together the genright elite kit. Not sure how you think you are doing this running dynatrac axles? Their brackets are built around them and their rear cross members and fuel tank are the key to their system. The genright kit is just a double triangulated rear 4 link and is not something they invented. I guess some people need a brand to brag about. I would note the rear upper frame mounts that GR uses are not positioned very well and your flex rides on the ball and not the bolt and will bottom out under full droop. It also sits too low on the shocks offering little up travel unless you crank up the lift height to the 6"+.

There is a guy here in town that has this set up and uses his tie rod as a battering ram too. WFO makes a aluminum tie rod with the rare parts ends if you are looking for a high dollar tie rod.

Some build info here:

post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Maybe pick better lines. Are you running the aluminum knuckles?
Generally with some fab work and dual high steer arms you can raise the tie rod up quite a bit under the steer arms. High steer is just geometry, keep the links parallel and it may require you to move the track bar mount up if you need to.
I'm running the XD60 with PR outers so I'm not running the 1550's. The dynatrac tie rod hangs pretty low and bent on a rock when finishing up a pretty aggressive/tight trail...wasn't any "room" to pick a better line.

Quote:
You say you are piecing together the genright elite kit. Not sure how you think you are doing this running dynatrac axles? My wife doesn't understand the Jeep hobby so I am buying the entire elite kit in a section approach. It won't be installed until I collect all pieces, however, I asked about high steer because this could be a piece of the entire puzzle and I'd rather not do it twice

Their brackets are built around them and their rear cross members and fuel tank are the key to their system. The genright kit is just a double triangulated rear 4 link and is not something they invented. I guess some people need a brand to brag about. I don't really have a "brand" thing and honestly don't care about brands..just want it done right. When I talk with multiple nationally known installers that do lots of fab, they believe the Elite kit is a very good setup which they make tweaks to. I have learned that opinions about suspensions are like assholes.

I would note the rear upper frame mounts that GR uses are not positioned very well and your flex rides on the ball and not the bolt and will bottom out under full droop. It also sits too low on the shocks offering little up travel unless you crank up the lift height to the 6"+. You and I've talked about this over the phone. There seems to be a few things involved to a 3 link front/4 link rear. I was looking at keeping it more simple and going with the Evo DTD but that doesn't seem to be favorable either. There isn't a kit that gets it all "perfect" but from what I've been told, including yourself, the Genright gets the closest and can be "perfected" with tweaks.

There is a guy here in town that has this set up and uses his tie rod as a battering ram too. WFO makes a aluminum tie rod with the rare parts ends if you are looking for a high dollar tie rod.
I think if the tie rod stays where its at I need something beefier than then dynatrac tie rod. Its the first thing ANYTHING will hit in the front if its between the tires and cannot be avoided.

So its either I get a new tie rod that can take a solid beating or I go hi steer. Not sure which one gets me closer to my end goal. Is it better to just get a beefier tie rod and wait for the suspension jump to do the high steer?

#TheBlacksmithCrew

Last edited by mastrcruse; 05-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Get something of the aluminum variety. Fusion or Rock Krawler. Worst case you may have to change the ends from offset to straight when you go high steer.

Thanks. Local builder uses Evo's high steer as a start but builds their own arms, notches frame, and does a few other tweaks to it for about $2500. I'm pretty new to the steering stuff but know that the dynatrac tie rod bent like a baby on a relatively small impact.

#TheBlacksmithCrew
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Depends on where you are at as far as lift height, if you are 3.5"+ then go ahead with high steer. Steering and suspension really have nothing to do with each other. One just needs to be corrected do to height.

Some build info here:

post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

You could go ruff stuff. for what you spend on a aluminum you could by 4 of theirs on sale. If you can weld it really is a no brainer.

Some build info here:

post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You could go ruff stuff. for what you spend on a aluminum you could by 4 of theirs on sale. If you can weld it really is a no brainer.
But why bother? You can make a "reasonable" assumption that an aluminum one will never break. Why buy something that you know you will most likely have to fix?

post #12 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

I assume you are running an aluminum tie rod.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

just to add-to @ALASHA 's aluminum options:

https://www.carolinametalmasters.com...oducts/tie-rod

The Carolina metal master tie rod is awesome, I've been running one for years. They used to be sold by a couple of vendors but they are now only sold by them as a strictly off road product now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode