Noise near Fr R tire, now turning issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-09-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Noise near Fr R tire, now turning issue

Hey guys, I have lifted JK w 35’s I recently bought. Was working fine until I actually turned the wheels from lock to lock the other night. When that happened I heard a noise near the front passenger tire (sounded like something breaking slightly). I assume some tie rod end, track bar bolt or ball joint broke. Now when I’m at a stop and I try to turn the wheel,it’s almost like I don’t have power steering. When I’m driving I can turn it fine. Took it to the shop they said pump is fine, fluid fine, has to do w changed geometry of lift. I’m wondering if i need a track bar relocation bracket, flipped drag link, new tie rod end etc. i don’t have the Jeep will me right now, but as soon i get it back this weekend, I’ll get under to see if any joints have any play. Any ideas in the meantime?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by baulsak49l View Post
Hey guys, I have lifted JK w 35ís I recently bought. Was working fine until I actually turned the wheels from lock to lock the other night. When that happened I heard a noise near the front passenger tire (sounded like something breaking slightly). I assume some tie rod end, track bar bolt or ball joint broke. Now when Iím at a stop and I try to turn the wheel,itís almost like I donít have power steering. When Iím driving I can turn it fine. Took it to the shop they said pump is fine, fluid fine, has to do w changed geometry of lift. Iím wondering if i need a track bar relocation bracket, flipped drag link, new tie rod end etc. i donít have the Jeep will me right now, but as soon i get it back this weekend, Iíll get under to see if any joints have any play. Any ideas in the meantime?
Without a photo or clear description, there's only wild-assed guessing, but I'll play

Look at axle-side track bar bracket - maybe it broke (at least part-way) loose and your axle is moving?

Really, I'd suggest keeping it off the road until you can locate and repair whatever is fooked - you could kill someone if you don't.
Check all steering and suspension joints, brackets, bolts, bushings, pitman arm . . .

There are dozens of possibilities, and not knowing what components comprise your modified setup, they're uneducated guesses.

This is a great resource on JKO that can help you understand your front end: Planman's Diagnosing Death Wobble Thread

Here's a photo from his thread with the front end components labeled in case you're unfamiliar:

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Hey man thanks, I’m going to have someone put the key in to ynlock the steering wheel but not start the car, and I’ll video what it looks like under car when they’re turning wheel. W no power steering pump, under the most load possible, feel like problem will reveal itself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

@ExWrench provided about as much as can be useful with what info you are able to provide .
There are a couple of questions worth asking, in addition to his ;
(1)What "lock" direction had you maxed the steering-out to ( pssgr or driver) when you heard the noise

(2) how long a duration was the "full lock to that side actually held for in the fully lock position?

&

(3) did you not get out of the jeep upon hearing this noise and check for fluid or anything ?

Aweful lots of psi buildup when steering is locked fully. Also, very easy to break a steering stabilizer or an improperly fastened stock draglink turnbuckle ajustment collar or even bend the mount for stabilizer OR hyper-extend it (why I ask about the direction of the lock) to the point of it not compressing or something .

My money is on a split fluid hose crimp .

So, this shop declares that they can now turn the wheel while not moving just fine ?

This is a very incomplete scenario as far as reliable data.

Ex is right; in future, don't assume anything about your brakes or steering as they preserve not just your well-being but all the rest of us, too.

Come talk when you get Jeep back and have video link to share and maybe we can help solidly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode