Don’t know what to do, NEED HELP! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-07-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Don’t know what to do, NEED HELP!

My 2009 Rubicon Unlimited just got back from the shop for melted transmission wiring, new cat and a new battery. I just spent $1500 fixing it and now it’s having problems. The engine will shut off when I’m driving and some occasional misfires. It drives perfectly fine when it’s not doing that, but the engine light is on with codes for O2 sensor, fuel delivery system, and low voltage on secondary circuits. I don’t know what is wrong and I can’t afford to take it back, plus I’m very upset at my mechanic because he just doesn’t know anything about jeeps. I thought of vapor lock, crankshaft position sensor, or just cleaning ground. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Rock God

I notice that you just “joined”, and this is your first post.

It’s going to sound harsh but I’ll say it anyway.

My first suggestion is to go introduce yourself in the welcome room.
I’m a new guy around here too, and I found the gang much more accepting and helpful after I gave them a chance to “know me” just a bit. Besides it’s pretty much common curtesy on forums.

You say “your” mechanic doesn’t know Jeeps.

My second suggestion would be to ditch that guy, and find someone that knows Jeeps.

Sorry I can’t help with your specific problem but hopefully one or two of the Gurus will stop by soon and offer some guidance.

Jeeps are finicky in the electrical Dept. , sounds like “your guy” only did part of the job.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Might be a loose connector since he replaced the wire harness. That is what the engine shutting off sounds like. You may also have a bad o2 sensor as they can be a problem. Why was the cat replaced? If. That mechanic won’t stand by his work find one that will and knows Jeeps.
tapcola likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

He took my Jeep over to the dealership because he said the cat was melted
post #5 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Wheeler

I would say the first step would be to speak to the tech who did the work. Ask him to define what a melted cat/trans etc actually means to him, using real terms. I would then take that info and the old parts which should have been offered to you to a knowledgeable source. Why did all these seemingly unrelated things melt? Was there a fire?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Rock God

Cats dont melt.... and there is mo way to visually inspect it without removing it from the vehicle.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-09-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

So I had a bad battery terminal that heated up my wires a lot, I didn’t think that bad but it the only way I can think of why the wires melted. As far as the cat goes I was having engine misfires due to bad computer so that’s my only guess
post #8 of 13 Old 05-09-2018, 10:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_rubicon View Post
So I had a bad battery terminal that heated up my wires a lot, I didn’t think that bad but it the only way I can think of why the wires melted. As far as the cat goes I was having engine misfires due to bad computer so that’s my only guess
A bad battery connection would not cause wires to overheat. The only wire that could overheat from that is the wire directly at the battery and it's a heavy gauge wire that is very unlikely to melt and even if it did melt the insulation it would not cause your issues.

"low voltage on secondary circuits" is a fairly dreadful code and pretty much means you have either broken wires and/or connectors, or broken circuit boards (most likely the TIPM, ECU, or transmission controller although there are a handful of things that could possibly cause that I think).
post #9 of 13 Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09_rubicon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
A bad battery connection would not cause wires to overheat. The only wire that could overheat from that is the wire directly at the battery and it's a heavy gauge wire that is very unlikely to melt and even if it did melt the insulation it would not cause your issues.
Umm . . . NO (or you misread what he typed).

If the stud/nut holding the smaller wires onto the battery terminal was loose, or there was corrosion causing resistance, the wires can get roached by heat.
All resistance = electrical energy lost, converted very efficiently into --> heat.

Here is a fuse holder that failed on me due to low tension on the blade contacts:

Poor connection --> resistance is present --> connection heats up --> plastic eats shit.

OP - make sure they reconnected all your ground straps - bad grounds are notorious for intermittent gremlins.
Not saying that's the cause of your problem, but it's good to rule out basics early on.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you sink your Jeep in water recently?

Kevin
post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

So the terminal was corroded and it would get red hot. I find out hot hot it got the hard way, the nut was loose but since I had my flash light on it I twisted it by hand and burned my hand, then once I took my flashlight away it was glowing red. Also all this happened but I got a new terminal and it stopped so I didn’t think anymore of it. The only water it had was mud when it rained
post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It is time to invest in a nice Fluke or comparable multimeter & give the notoriously onerey electrical system a once-over, mate.

There's so many potential vacuum lines and electrical connections & computer controlled wonder controllers on these JKs that it'll be the only way to ensure nothing has become degraded,melted, damaged,fused,blown,shorted or snafu'ed (unless ya know a really good automotive electrical technician who you can trust).

If that terminal was hot enough to glow ,the resistance will - as mentioned - result in heat affecting not just the harnesses but potentially the total integrated power module , the grounds, the ignition , etc...

Old trick some of us use to check for shorts / arcing of ignition wiring is to watch the engine bay at night in as dark as possible an area which can often reveal blue arcing current jumping to some grounding metal...

post #13 of 13 Old 05-11-2018, 03:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
I notice that you just “joined”, and this is your first post.

It’s going to sound harsh but I’ll say it anyway.

My first suggestion is to go introduce yourself in the welcome room.
I’m a new guy around here too, and I found the gang much more accepting and helpful after I gave them a chance to “know me” just a bit. Besides it’s pretty much common curtesy on forums.

LOL WUT

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 05-11-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode