Terrible creaking sound. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By Dkjeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Terrible creaking sound.

So I put a 4inch Zone Lift on my 2017 JKU and so far so good. Its been 2 months since I went wheeling and now I have this loud creaking noise coming from underneath anytime I go up and down a speed bump and creaks when from of the jeep goes up when I give it gas. Sounds like an old hinge on a door. I tried spraying lubricant but I think it got louder. Any ideas what it could be or how would I get rid of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Wheeler

Did you add any rocker panel protection. Sliders or tubes, maybe a step. If so and they attach at the body mounts you might need to grind the body mount down a little. I had a similar problem after lifting and it drove me nuts. The squeak telegraphs all over the place. It ended up being just one body mount.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

when we wheel, afterwards ( each time) we check the tightness of every bolt and fastener upon every component of the suspension.

You have to go thru the entry-level lift's components and isolate which polyurethane bushing you either did not grease thoroughly or that is fastened slightly- less that spec for it's required torque. It is likely that is what's squeeeeeking as the suspension unloads ( a common PU bushing issue).

free tip of the day is check the smaller of the included busings upon your swaybar end links.

Check all items are properly torqued that are annotated in purple here:

then , maybe stop in the Welcome Room and introduce yourself so we do not feel like cheap whores that you have used for troubleshooting this one issue then leave us forever.
We are a wholesome ,family-oriented forum you probably want to be friends with.

(edit: fwiw, to many cultures, creaking sounds are not terrible whatsoever; They are soothing, comforting sounds)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-07-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

(edit: fwiw, to many cultures, creaking sounds are not terrible whatsoever; They are soothing, comforting sounds)
Where were you when I had the downstairs apartment in the bad part of town? The people that lived above me were morbidly obese and every couple nights I'd hear this terrible creaking sound coming from the ceiling above me. Sometimes it would last for 20 or even 30 seconds at a time.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Where were you when I had the downstairs apartment in the bad part of town? The people that lived above me were morbidly obese and every couple nights I'd hear this terrible creaking sound coming from the ceiling above me. Sometimes it would last for 20 or even 30 seconds at a time.
you grew to love it as they just ...grew.

I can come by and rock ina squeaky chair indefinately... if the pay is right...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Quote:
you grew to love it as they just ...grew.

I can come by and rock ina squeaky chair indefinately... if the pay is right...

Hey, I'm 1.5hrs from JKCON, y'alls have a place to stay if you can make it.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Hey, I'm 1.5hrs from JKCON, y'alls have a place to stay if you can make it.
if only.
Trust *me; I have been doin LOTS of work , job-wise & domestically , to get me & the Jeep (& the family)properly equipped to make just such a trip.A truck +trailer is comin soon, so hold that thought, man. It probably wonít be this season but ask me that in 12 months

(* I endlessly talk about just such a trip . Itís gonna happen)

post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 06:57 AM
Rock God

Your problem is you bought zone. That is bottom of the barrel cheap Chinese garbage that barely holds up to tame street driving and then you went and wheeled it.
mmilburn likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Your problem is you bought zone. That is bottom of the barrel cheap Chinese garbage that barely holds up to tame street driving and then you went and wheeled it.
no,no. Címon, dude; you know me better by now...

I had all Rustyís ( crap) heavy duty hydraulic shocks and SS on the XJ. The crappy things wore out after 2 years . Particularly the stabilizer .

The replacement was just to test if the Rustyís SS was shot so I ordered an el Cheapo with intent to discard after wife drives a while to confirm. This is her DD and most offroading it gets is gravel driveways and baseball field access. It is ever closing in on 400,000 original and the Rustyís were part of a lift and wheel tire package ( Iíd never buy them otherwise) and were free with the 3Ē leaf pack / coil lift.

My JKU would never be allowed to have a Zone anything come near it, heh.

So, for $30 and never offroaded, the cheap, Zone stabilizer is fine. The XJ now has nice Skyjacker shocks wife loves

post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
no,no. Címon, dude; you know me better by now...

I had all Rustyís ( crap) heavy duty hydraulic shocks and SS on the XJ. The crappy things wore out after 2 years . Particularly the stabilizer .

The replacement was just to test if the Rustyís SS was shot so I ordered an el Cheapo with intent to discard after wife drives a while to confirm. This is her DD and most offroading it gets is gravel driveways and baseball field access. It is ever closing in on 400,000 original and the Rustyís were part of a lift and wheel tire package ( Iíd never buy them otherwise) and were free with the 3Ē leaf pack / coil lift.

My JKU would never be allowed to have a Zone anything come near it, heh.

So, for $30 and never offroaded, the cheap, Zone stabilizer is fine. The XJ now has nice Skyjacker shocks wife loves

Lol, not you that was directed at the OP. Lmao
post #11 of 12 Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Lol, not you that was directed at the OP. Lmao

post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Wheeler

If you have not yet figured out the problem, look between your spring and your frame in the front. It might be that when your spring compresses, it flexes to the side, toward your frame. once it starts to wear the paint off, it creaks just like you explained. I run into this on occasion with mine. It sounds just terrible, but its fairly easy to fix once you know where it is coming from. someone could put a piece of nylon on the surface of the frame to act as lubrication between the frame and spring.

Just a possibility.

Looking for a money tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode