Painting bead lock rings? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Painting bead lock rings?

Has anyone painted their beadlock rings? My TrailReady's are getting scratched up and were too shiny/blingy in the first place.

I'm thinking to let the air out of the tires to pull the rings so that I can tune them up with a rattle can of flat or semi gloss black and then install new bolts.

Wondering if this will just look like a fugly mess when done. Has anyone done this? Care to post pics of your hammered/repainted rock rings? Did you just paint over the rash?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Yep, painted them flat black the first time I mounted them about 5 years ago, and then just recently when I put new tires on. Just painted over the rock rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not helping your question any, but this is actually why I left mine unfinished, I can scratch the crap out of them on the rocks and at twenty feet you can't tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Random Dude

Hey Paul,

SEM 39103 Black Original Flexible Bumper Coater <-- that is the only product I use on my beadlocks because I'm a lazy fawk who wants professional results with an amateur amount of effort

This stuff is made to re-coat flexible plastic bumper covers, but it works great on steel and aluminum as well. It lays down like spray paint from the "good old days", and the 39103 happens to match tire rubber ~exactly (I don't mask shit when I re-coat ). Joy to spray, flashes quickly, ends up durable - the only down side is the price of a spray can.

Ned's Auto Body Supply in Concord should have it on the shelves, otherwise pick up from Summit, Amazon . . .
Amazon link for reference

Lazy factor aside (i.e., even if you want to mask and "do it right") this crap is super-durable. Zoom in on this photo, and notice that it doesn't crack or flake off - it's only missing where metal is missing.

It gives a great visual indicator of what bolts I need to check, then I just scuff / Windex / re-shoot --> done.

EDIT: that photo also shows prior rock rash that's painted over - invisible-ish enough, IMHO

For reference, here's my spray rig for rims only or rims/ tires:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
<snip>

Okay, remember the steel scraps and the ceiling fan guts? I give you: the “Supermatic Turntable 2000” (no, not really – call it whatever you want).
My first version of this (about five years ago) involved wood screws, so this bastard is high-tech!

Spray painting my way around stationary rims got old really quick, so the carousel lets me take this:

And a little bit of this:

To get this:
Note: all aluminum to be painted was scuffed with red Scotch Brite and wiped clean with Windex and a microfiber towel.

<snip>
Don't let the "39100" throw you - it's a 20-oz promo size spray can of the 39103.

EDIT2: I found a good photo of SEM 39103 overspray on tires:

Quote:
Unapologetic admission from a lazy-ass toucher-upper
Overspray on tires is not a problem for me because the SEM flexible urethane coating I use matches the tires - so, why mask?

EDIT3: ^^^ of course, feather the edges - the stuff's good, not magic - you can fawk it up
j3ff3ry_j33p and Texas_Jester like this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-03-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

if I didn’t like ya as much , it sure wouldn’t be this hard to resist suggesting that you should go post this on Pirate for some “professional” responses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

thanks for the pics, ex.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Wrench that is a bad ass idea!!! I used a spindle and hub when I welded teh H1 wheels but the ceiling fan is a freaking awesome way to do it!!

I am painting my centers black in a few weeks and probably leave the rings in teh current raw silver alum as they will keep on getting scratched )

post #8 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM
yes, I have asperger's

This thread makes me wish I didn't go with the super blingy giganto rings.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Wrench that is a bad ass idea!!! I used a spindle and hub when I welded teh H1 wheels but the ceiling fan is a freaking awesome way to do it!!
It's almost too good - a 115-120 lb tire will spin for . . . fookin' ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
This thread makes me wish I didn't go with the super blingy giganto rings.

Do joo got a Sawzall, mang?

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

post #10 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Quote:
It's almost too good - a 115-120 lb tire will spin for . . . fookin' ever

Do joo got a Sawzall, mang?
plasma man you don't need to take the ring off the wheel man I can do that.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 PM
yes, I have asperger's

No man they look good. I think everyone will think they're cool.
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well, my rings came polished so they are a little too blingy even after a crap ton of rock rash. I wish they had a more dull finish. I wonder if a simple bead blasting would make them look better.

I can actually see the shiny rings reflecting on the trail! No joke. Kachow!
post #13 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Check it out. In this video at about 16:10, you really see the rock rings blinging on the rocks to the passenger side of the jeep....

That comes through in a lot of my videos without even trying. Gotta tune up that bling.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
No man they look good. I think everyone will think they're cool.
That's awesome! You should rock the shit out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Well, my rings came polished so they are a little too blingy even after a crap ton of rock rash. I wish they had a more dull finish. I wonder if a simple bead blasting would make them look better.

You could bead blast, orbital sand, or just scuff 'em with Scotch Brite to break the shine of the impressive polishing job.

Of course, after the Scotch Brite, it'd be pretty easy to give 'em a wipe-down with Windex followed by etching primer and paint

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-04-2018 at 11:59 PM.
post #15 of 27 Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 PM
DJ1
Rock God

I've got em bead blasted then left them raw. Wheel is powdercoated gloss black though.

I like it...
post #16 of 27 Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I just had my rings powder coated. I don't know how well they'll hold up but time will tell

-Nomad
post #17 of 27 Old 05-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post

couldnt you sand then down with a flap disc or finer grit then satin flat clear coat em if they are steel or leave them if aluminum ? Or Ex’s stuff is good n flat lookin if you require black. It’s almost not worth it since there gonna get so messed up, right?

(edit: hadn’t seen your video before posting the above comment ....I watched and do not think those detract from your overall nor are they too bling ish at all. You just run the polished because they deter mud best and are gonna get scratched and shiny anyway. Look great w black wheels. It’s just your being hyper conscious of them. Last thing I noticed on the jeep until you pointed it out. Reflection and all. just my .02 ¢.)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-06-2018 at 07:21 AM.
post #18 of 27 Old 05-06-2018, 10:56 AM
yes, I have asperger's

Mine came in a satin finish. It's odd because they reflect light and always have an odd glow about them. Mine may be made from depleted uranium or something.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-06-2018, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I must be the only one who thinks chewed up rock rings look good. Kind of like dents and scratches on the body. Gives the Jeep character.

@White13JKUR , 5 mins with fine grit in a DA sander will get rid of the polish, without removing much material.

Kevin
post #20 of 27 Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I must be the only one who thinks chewed up rock rings look good. Kind of like dents and scratches on the body. Gives the Jeep character.

@White13JKUR , 5 mins with fine grit in a DA sander will get rid of the polish, without removing much material.
I'm good with the scratches - usually gets comments like: "...and it looks like you actually use your jeep too...."

It's jus the granite bling - looking out at the trail and seeing the rock rings blinging away. I can almost hear an audible "bling, bling, bling...... bling" as I run down the trail.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

sand blasting the rings will make a huge difference in the shine. that would be the route I'd go. sand blast to eliminate bling, and then embrace the rock rash.

if you decide to paint, no need to remove the rock rings first. just take some old playing cards or 3x5 index cards and stick them between the rock ring and tire. you're probably going to want to touch up every time you get some rock rash, because there will be a huge contrast between the black ring and the silver underneath. so my recommendation would be to avoid painting (although I do admit black rings on black wheels looks really cool)
post #22 of 27 Old 05-07-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah, I have thought about bead blasting them. I don't have a bead blaster so I'll head over to my old high school and see if I can get some time on it. My old autoshop teacher is STILL there.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-07-2018, 03:21 PM
DJ1
Rock God

My powder coater blasted them for free since they were already working on the wheels...

Name:  TR Ring 1.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  TR Ring 2.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  1.68 MB

...compliments my other aluminum and gloss black bits quite nicely.

Last edited by DJ1; 05-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-07-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
My powder coater blasted them for free since they were already working on the wheels...

...compliments my other aluminum and gloss black bits quite nicely.

Cool, thanks for the pics, man. I like the bead blasted look. It looks more natural like what I was expecting from the beginning. I did not pay close enough attention when ordering the rings new to see that they were polished.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Wheeler

I actually bought my TrailReadys used off a buggy so my rings were scratched up pretty good. So I sandblasted the rings, primed, and painted them with 2 coats of clear coat. I also got the wheels powder coated too. Here's the before and after.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode