thinking about control arm skids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
thinking about control arm skids

I have been thinking about control arm skids - any thoughts on the extremeterrain ones? Price is right. Btw, JK is the light use rig - it's mainly for family exploring - my XJ is the trail rig.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...k-1800337.html

--- 2012 JKU with some goodies ---
--- 1997 XJ with even more goodies ---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

If I were going to do lower control arm skids they would be weld on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM

I like the Evo weld on fronts and Evo Rockstar rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2018, 07:26 PM
Rock God

I don't completely understand control arm skids. I ran stock control arm mounts on the axles for a few years and crashed, slid, and beat on those lower axle mounts countless times. One mount bent a bit at some point. There were no problems.

Sure there is some small probability you will rip off a mount or something. But in my opinion unless you already have a full set of skid plates all around, evap relocation, rock sliders, good bumpers, etc. then there are much better uses of your money to increase the durability of your JK.

On a light use exploring vehicle that's not really your trail vehicle, seems like a complete waste of money and weight to me to put any skids on control arm mounts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-30-2018, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I would not waste the time or money.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I would not waste the time or money.
^x2

Seems a good way to waste resources that could go for more critical upgrades or fuel. Unless you run CAs that’re made by Tiffany’s or something...

post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Wheeler

I definitely would *not* go with the EVO Rockstars. I have them for my coilovers and they piss me off endlessly. Every time I even *think* about doing something with the rear LCA's I get a headache/wish I had a lift/fantasize about having something bigger than my Hobart 140 so I could weld on some coilover and control arm mounts from another manufacturer.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2018, 09:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I picked up a set of the rock stars a couple of years back after they were recommended by @jason mac because the stock ones were hammered and tacoed in.

They do work for getting that shock up and out of the way a little more and they are more robust and take more of a beating. They do make it more of a bitch working on the rear LCAs.

You also loose some shock travel but in my case, I gained it back by using the Synergy rear shock top relocation brackets. They raise the top of the shock by about the same amount as the Rock Stars plus they tilt the shock tops rearward a bit more. Aside from needing the spring perches rotated, this setup works well with the OME LT shocks and evo plush ride linear 4" coils.

My front LCAs are pretty beat and I have the synergy front LCA (weld on) brackets sitting on the shelf.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I picked up a set of the rock stars a couple of years back after they were recommended by @jason mac because the stock ones were hammered and tacoed in.

They do work for getting that shock up and out of the way a little more and they are more robust and take more of a beating. They do make it more of a bitch working on the rear LCAs.

You also loose some shock travel but in my case, I gained it back by using the Synergy rear shock top relocation brackets. They raise the top of the shock by about the same amount as the Rock Stars plus they tilt the shock tops rearward a bit more. Aside from needing the spring perches rotated, this setup works well with the OME LT shocks and evo plush ride linear 4" coils.

My front LCAs are pretty beat and I have the synergy front LCA (weld on) brackets sitting on the shelf.
^x2. My stock rear shock mounts were taco'd after the first trip out. That along with the shocks acting as anchors...I made the switch to the Rockstars. Much beefier, more protection, and the shock is up and out of the way more. I can still take my control arms out pretty easily with a blow hammer and a little finesse.

Front lowers were pretty fukt too so did those with the artec armor kit. I don't see how it's a waste of time. A welder and 10 minutes/a sawzall, grinder, and 20 minutes of time for some beefier control arm brackets was a no brainer and worth it for me.

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
post #10 of 10 Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Couldn't you whip up something with a $20 piece of flat bar?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode