• 2 Post By ChuckTheRipper
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Garden Spyder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Coil spring advice.

I purchased some spacers to level my JKU front to rear, because the front has settled some with the added weight.

Using what I had available to me locally, and a rented coil spring compressor, I attempted to put the Jeep in to a flex to relieve some of the pressure on the front spring. What I found was even with the jeep at as much flex as I had stuff at the house to try, I still could not get the spring compressed enough to get it removed, all the while thinking that the spring compressors could snap, and take my face off.

I guess what I am asking is for those of you who have done this at home, what is your best method, to get the job done and not lose your teeth, or risk your life?
Attached Images

Looking for a money tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Rock God

Take the tire off, discount/unbolt sway bar links (axle side), disconnect shock (axle side), put jack stand on the frame, droop the axle with a floor mount. You may have to unbolt the trackbar.

I do not and would not trust spring compressors.
Garden Spyder likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Right! I didn't disconnect the shock, and will do that next time, also I have electronic sway bar disconnect, so it was loose at the time, and not fighting me at the time, but I could disconnect and gain some working space. When I attempt it again I think I will do like you said and remove the tire to gain another few inches, and perhaps disconnect the bump stop in the bottom of the spring.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Rock God

even with elect discos you need to disconnect the discos and yes you need to remove the lower bump stop as well as do what the other poster told you to do.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Rock God

Just be a man and lift up the coil past the axle bump and then twist the coil out of the bind from the top bumpstop.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

if you can’t man handle it like Chuck suggests (* the twist out action Chuck mentions is imperative, btw)

(It maybe just me but my Synergy coils extend far too much to be able to remove them with a tireand wheel still on)

I can suggest a few tips I’ve used that could help:
Having your ( fatter is better in this case ) wife jump up and down on the wheelless hub / rotor can result in a moment of coil spring retainer freedom for you to yank it out or insert as the case may be .

You cannot require a good prybar enough for gettin under a coil that’s extended and moving it that last inch or so to either free or move it into place over inner coil spring bumpstop extenders ...

If you do use the coilspring compressors we all know will maim us, simply do so but take a ratchet strap and use it in collaboration with the death device so it cannot pop free ...every two-3 inches you compress the coil, ratchet it tighter around ...you won’t want it in the very top or bottom wrap of the spring that contacts the housing or upper retainer, of course.

I just get to cussing and use a prybar while wife jumps on rotor a few times fwiw..

Show them coils whose the boss , man.

Garden Spyder likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-24-2018 at 06:36 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I almost feel I could have had it, if I had a little more time, and would have removed the 4 inch bump stop prior to using the coil compressors. I had about an inch and a half of space in there once it was compressed. I might also borrow a second set of compressors if I return to do this process again.
I may also lift the whole jeep up and drop the axle as an option. I am going to ponder on this all over the next week to see if I can come up with an option that works for me.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Wheeler

Am I the only one who noticed his control arm is mounted backward? Looks like the axle end is mounted at the frame end.

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
post #9 of 19 Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Am I the only one who noticed his control arm is mounted backward? Looks like the axle end is mounted at the frame end.

I believe that Procomp does it that way , I could be wrong but .....
post #10 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
I believe that Procomp does it that way , I could be wrong but .....

For What it is worth, I didn't install these, so I don't have the original instructions that go with it, but your comment made me curious, so I went online to look, and the pictures they show on the website show the same setup as I have, with them as the same direction as I have.

post #11 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder View Post
For What it is worth, I didn't install these, so I don't have the original instructions that go with it, but your comment made me curious, so I went online to look, and the pictures they show on the website show the same setup as I have, with them as the same direction as I have.
Who's the manufacturer? Is the axle end adjustable too, or is it a clevite/rubber bushing?

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
post #12 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Its non adjustable, and yes, I do think it is a rubber bushing. I think it might be a Rough Country lift.

post #13 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

4in X-Series Suspension Lift Kit for 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited | Rough Country Suspension Systemsģ

Here is the picture I was referring to. Perhaps my eyes are failing me.

Either way, I am thinking that having the threads at the top protects them from rock damage, although it may hinder performance?

post #14 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Granite Guru

Where do you live? There are plenty of guys on here (myself included) that would probably be willing to give you a hand with this so you can learn the proper way of getting the springs out without damaging yourself or the jeep. On mine I end up even having to disconnect the driveshaft as well as all the other parts mentioned to li et the axle droop down enough. Also you can jack up on side of the axle up a bit to help drop the other side to give you an extra inch or so.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM
KJV
Granite Guru

It sounds as if you are over complicating a very simple job. Disconnect the sway bar links and shocks. Make sure the bump stop extensions are unbolted. Tires will need to be off to allow the axle to droop enough. Lower the axle while supporting the frame with jack stands. Once the axle is low enough, remove the springs. I have never had to use any type of spring compressor for JK springs in the 3.5-4" lift range.

2010 JKU. 3.5 RK Flex, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT, Method 105's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, VKS Shorty V2 with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Cage
post #16 of 19 Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstig1 View Post
Where do you live? There are plenty of guys on here (myself included) that would probably be willing to give you a hand with this so you can learn the proper way of getting the springs out without damaging yourself or the jeep. On mine I end up even having to disconnect the driveshaft as well as all the other parts mentioned to li et the axle droop down enough. Also you can jack up on side of the axle up a bit to help drop the other side to give you an extra inch or so.
I'm located in Manhattan Kansas. I have a few other places I have asked the question to, and a few have also given this advice. It may take a bit, but eventually I will get back at it and do this process, sometimes life gets in the way.

post #17 of 19 Old 04-26-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV View Post
It sounds as if you are over complicating a very simple job. Disconnect the sway bar links and shocks. Make sure the bump stop extensions are unbolted. Tires will need to be off to allow the axle to droop enough. Lower the axle while supporting the frame with jack stands. Once the axle is low enough, remove the springs. I have never had to use any type of spring compressor for JK springs in the 3.5-4" lift range.

I suspect you are right. Sometimes I try to make things harder than they need to be.

post #18 of 19 Old 04-26-2018, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV View Post
^this x2

Also, for goodness-sake get yourself a set of HF jackstands and donít work on , around or under the jeep when raised in the manner you have it in image. That would be exponentially more implied with wheels removed as youíre gonna wanna do on the front . So many folks get hurt not raising a jeep properly wth jackSTANDS or , if youíre able to own one , a lift. Is your life or a leg worth $50 ?
Just tryin to help .

Treader likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
^this x2

Also, for goodness-sake get yourself a set of HF jackstands and donít work on , around or under the jeep when raised in the manner you have it in image. That would be exponentially more implied with wheels removed as youíre gonna wanna do on the front . So many folks get hurt not raising a jeep properly wth jackSTANDS or , if youíre able to own one , a lift. Is your life or a leg worth $50 ?
Just tryin to help .

To help put your mind at ease, this picture I posted was not taken while I was working on it, I had a high lift on the rock rail of the side I was working on, and two 10,000 lb jack stands.

Like I said earlier, I tend to overcomplicate things, but its not entirely my first rodeo.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode