• 2 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By cjindna
  • 3 Post By D94R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Where is the Secret Sauce?

Hello, All!

I am new to this forum and appreciate everyone's feedback on a question concerning lift kits. Was browsing around and trying to make up my mind when I came across a Mopar kit (1st picture) that really triggered some confusion. This is a 4" kit that runs around $2k. I was looking at the product image and then asked myself what the actual upside is here? What are they adding that I would not get when buying "best-of-breed" parts (i.e.: Fox, Billstein, etc.)? It seems that when I take away shocks and steering damper (which I doubt are Mopar's own to begin with and sourced somewhere else) and take away swaybar disconnects (which are pretty universal) and some generic bolts, then I am left with nothing, springs and a track bar and bump-stops (2nd picture). Yes, springs can be of good or bad quality and make a difference and the trackbar seems to be adjustable and probably of better steel, but is that all there is? I am sure other vendors are similar, so is there really an advantage to buying kits?

Any opinions and feedback appreciated!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

Garage

No secret sauce... You are paying more for the word Mopar on it. I would not waste my time with that since you are not paying for any higher quality unless you want to fall in the misconception that if you don't have a Mopar product then you will void your warranty.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #3 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Welcome to JKO.
tapcola likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
No secret sauce... You are paying more for the word Mopar on it. I would not waste my time with that since you are not paying for any higher quality unless you want to fall in the misconception that if you don't have a Mopar product then you will void your warranty.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking. I guess the shocks and springs can be selected to compliment each other, but other vendors will probably do that as well. I was also very surprised not to see any control arms as part of a 4" lift (at this price), which would at least allow to correct the axle geometry a bit.

Either way, thanks for the reply!
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Welcome to JKO.
Thank you!
post #6 of 21 Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM

2 grand for that? Fuck them. Look at rock krawler, metal cloak, teraflex and clayton and see what you can get for 2 grand.

I think this is what I have, its been a long time now. But you get all 8 adjustable control arms.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/jeep_...t_2007_2017_jk

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.

Last edited by Uncle Sams Misguided Child; 04-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 10:48 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

On your chin?

Quote:
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #8 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

Thought the "advantage" here (read cost uplift) was factory warranty being maintained with the Mopar stuff....

Certainly not something that I would personally consider the additional cost to be warranted on but some folks absolutely do.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 12:09 PM
yes, I have asperger's

Quote:
Fuck them.
Maybe it comes in a fancy wood box or something.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 03:55 PM
JKO Addict!

The secret is they are screwing the unknowning jeep buyer and rolling the big price tag into the monthly payment on the jeep, this is the only real reason to buy the Mopar kits.
RiverCityOffroad likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
The secret is they are screwing the unknowning jeep buyer and rolling the big price tag into the monthly payment on the jeep, this is the only real reason to buy the Mopar kits.
and instead of paying 2000 you end up paying 3000. They aren't dumb

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Thought the "advantage" here (read cost uplift) was factory warranty being maintained with the Mopar stuff....

Certainly not something that I would personally consider the additional cost to be warranted on but some folks absolutely do.
They warranty the lift parts? Still not worth $2k though.

I'm sure you weren't referring to the entire warranty? Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act only allows them to void warranty on parts you've replaced, and if they can prove your mods destroyed something else that is OEM (such as an axle, stock gears, blah blah) then yea, they won't warranty that either. I had a passenger seatbelt sensor fail last year, and they warrantied it without batting an eye (I had taken on about a foot of water, and ripped the carpets out).

I still have 5 free oil changes and tire rotations left, and it's hilarious rolling into the dealer with my Jeep; The look on the service department employees faces is usually along the lines of: 'da fuq?'

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
post #13 of 21 Old 04-11-2018, 10:27 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act only allows them to void warranty on parts you've replaced, and if they can prove your mods destroyed something else that is OEM (such as an axle, stock gears, blah blah) then yea, they won't warranty that either.

The only problem is if you try to pull that Magnusson-Moss card on the dealer your shit will be blacklisted. At that point, good luck getting any decent level of dealer service after that.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 05:28 AM
Rock God

For under $2K I picked up the Rock Krawler Stock Mod Stage-1, plus adjustable front trac bar, plus brake lines, plus adjustable rear sway disconnects. This effectively got me the Expedition Stage-1 without the arms (at the time, i see the Expedition is no longer offered from RK). I added the JKS front control arm drop brackets as well.

The 2.5" lift got me closer to ~4" cause I don't have bumpers/winch/whatever on it and sits very comparatively to my 07 that was on 4.5" Synergy coils.

Just find Marcus (RiverCityOffroad) and see what he can do for you.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #15 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
They warranty the lift parts? Still not worth $2k though.

I'm sure you weren't referring to the entire warranty? Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act only allows them to void warranty on parts you've replaced, and if they can prove your mods destroyed something else that is OEM (such as an axle, stock gears, blah blah) then yea, they won't warranty that either. I had a passenger seatbelt sensor fail last year, and they warrantied it without batting an eye (I had taken on about a foot of water, and ripped the carpets out).

I still have 5 free oil changes and tire rotations left, and it's hilarious rolling into the dealer with my Jeep; The look on the service department employees faces is usually along the lines of: 'da fuq?'
Correct, see link below. That is all these guys talked about at SEMA almost to the point of it being concerning in that components were so likely to fail that the warranty would be required (certainly joking here but...).

Their idea is that you roll in to dealership, order your Jeep with all of the MOPAR accessories, suspension, beadlocks, flares, purple sport bar padding, etc., pay the dealer to install it, finance it through Chrysler, and they promise not to screw with you on the 3/36k warranty and will cover all the accessories when you bring it in.

Cant blame them for looking for good ways to print money, I have zero doubt this is working quite well for them.

MOPAR Accessory Warranty
post #16 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

I would take the Mopar kit any day over Rock Krawler even at twice the price. Hell I would put on Rough Country over RK if you are looking to save money and get a better lift.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #17 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Rock God

Raise your hands everyone who knew that was coming.

KOWBOY, cjindna and mmilburn like this.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt

Last edited by D94R; 04-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
The only problem is if you try to pull that Magnusson-Moss card on the dealer your shit will be blacklisted. At that point, good luck getting any decent level of dealer service after that.
It might come down to the attitude of the person involved, but at the end of the day...wouldn't blacklisting be illegal too? To deny them of their warranty work? FTC would crack down, no? I'm no lawyer and don't pretend to be one, but that doesn't sound very legal either.

2015 JK- trussed and locked 44's, 37's, beadlocks, Synergy/Metalcloak control arms, Genright, Warn, Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder...blah blah blah
post #19 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
It might come down to the attitude of the person involved, but at the end of the day...wouldn't blacklisting be illegal too? To deny them of their warranty work? FTC would crack down, no? I'm no lawyer and don't pretend to be one, but that doesn't sound very legal either.
Illegal? Yes. Does it happen? For sure. Is there much an individual can realistically do when a billion dollar corporation does something illegal you don't like? Nope and that's why they'll keep doing it.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Illegal? Yes. Does it happen? For sure. Is there much an individual can realistically do when a billion dollar corporation does something illegal you don't like? Nope and that's why they'll keep doing it.
Yup. Exactly.

I think the key thing is to make sure you have a good relationship with the service advisor regardless of what parts you've got on your rig. I would say our JK is probably the most modded one this particular dealership sees come in and we've got a 100k mile extended warranty on it.

When it comes to service advisors, as a consumer you really have to put yourself in their shoes. They are on the front lines to getting shit on by venting customers looking to lash out on someone. These guys gotta here all the BS all day from angry customers so you need to take a different approach.

If you are cool with them and treat them like a human being, they will definitely take care of you and let things slide that they normally would not do. They will remember you. I even took the extra step to give them a good review and made it a point to mention the service advisor's name.

For example, just recently our JK's radiator decide to crap out just running errands around the block. When I called the service department, the gate keeper on the phone said it would be 1 month before I could even get an appointment booked. That shit wasn't happening so I trekked over to the dealer and spoke to my service advisor personally. He got me into the rotation for an appointment 3 days later. I still had to shell out a little on top of the $150 deductible but I was fine with that. Dealership makes a little money which I'm good with and we get our JK back fast.

Now having said that, I definitely wouldn't waste $ on a Mopar lift. For the $ being shelled out, you can get a pretty good kit from guys like JKS.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Yea, seems like its a bit of a racket. Since my JK is a 2011 I am not worried about warranty anymore. I am looking at some of the kits that come with control arms- shocks I can always get separate. Some of the Currie kits looked pretty good, but I guess with shocks and control arms you are looking at $2-$3k no matter how you skin the cat.....
post #22 of 21 Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Yea, seems like its a bit of a racket. Since my JK is a 2011 I am not worried about warranty anymore. I am looking at some of the kits that come with control arms- shocks I can always get separate. Some of the Currie kits looked pretty good, but I guess with shocks and control arms you are looking at $2-$3k no matter how you skin the cat.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode